Sponsored

The Sunrider for Hardtop for the All New Jeep® Wrangler JL is here!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
LiteBrite's video was laughable at best .... You got to be kidding me...

Do the install, and you will know what I am saying.

That video totally drops the ball in regard to an accurate depiction of the Sunrider SR install. Again, laughable ..... I sat and watched and said "this is a bunch of chiitt" the whole time I watched it.

@Bubba33

I just laid the SR and all the parts on top of a large shipping pad on the garage floor. Got down on my knees and did the deed. Sure, if you have a higher surface that is big enough, go for it..

As for the Z-Clips on either end of the wire. NO, it is not physically hard to install them. No, not that big a deal to do. Yes, takes a few minutes to figure out how to get the Z-Clips in place, once you figure how to get them in the hole past the edge of the gutter... then you have to keep the Z-Clip in place while you get the piece bolted up. The plastic tape does a very poor job of retaining the clip in the crevice. Hard to explain but once you do it you will understand.

The single wire cable with Z-Clip's on each end protrudes out of each side of the SR. Just grab one end with a plier and pull firmly (don't get crazy with it, don't damage the cable with the pliers) the Z-Clip til you get say 1.5 inches of slack. At the 1.5" mark, use a vice grip to grab the cable and then lock your vice grip. Of course, clamp but no to tight, as to damage the wire.

After you did the above, eye ball what you have and get the Z-Clip installed and the thing bolted up. Not hard but a little like a puzzle. I'd say it will take you about 30 mins., to get it assembled. 30 minutes and much of that time cussing under your breath, staring at the thing, fumbling with it, and then just getting it done.

The actual getting the assembled SR installed on the JL is easy easy and takes but a few minutes. Nothing to it..

Oh, two things... You might want to put a piece of black tape over the BESTOP logo on each side rail. Doing this will prevent your vice grip from scratching the black off of the logo edges with your vice grip were it to contact the logo. (I saw so the possibility so applied tape before damage.

Also, the logo is on the end that is to the rear.

Take a moment before you do the Z-Clips to take the side pieces that you will be attaching to the SR and take them to the JL and just see how/where they will reside when you put the SR up there for the first time. This way you will know ahead of time which plastic arm goes on which side of the SR.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have the wife do that. LOL.
@Bubba33

My gal pal was not around when I did the SR assembly. Had she been, the assembly would have been a lot easier.

I would have inserted the Z-Clip into the plastic arm and would have had her press down on the Z-Clip, until I could position the arm in place and bolt it up. You need to do one side at a time by the way...

The Z-Clip will keep trying to pop out of place. Instructions say to use tape but the tape does not hold it in place well. Had my gal been there, I would have placed the black plastic tape and then would had had her press down on the tape, holding tape down well.... until I bolted the arm on. Doing this would have saved a few minutes.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mentioned in one thread that I installed the SR and never uninstalled my Alien Sunshade. The SR installed easily with the Alien in place.
The black Alien Sunshade looks great with the SR. You look up and see the black sunscreen and do not see the framework of the SR. Even with the Alien in place, the front lock down clamps on the SR are easy to get to / to work with.

I had entertained the idea of getting the retractable screen from Bestop but the Alien / SR combo may just be what I stick with. Again, the combo looks great together. IF, I did not have a black Alien then I would not be saying this.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About the Bestop, shiney, metallic looking, logo on either side of the Sunrider. ... Well, the logo stands out like a sore thumb in my opinion. I do not like logo this and logo that all over my vehicles..

Anyway, I used a black sharpie to carefully paint over the edges of the words on the logo.

Immediately after painting with the sharpie, I used a soft piece of cloth to gently wipe the black sharpie coloring. Doing this lets say subdued the black color I guess you would say and geeez, it came out looking decent.

You can still see the word Bestop but it is not metallic looking and standing out like a sore thumb anymore.

Oh, that sharpie color is on there. When you are applying, an alcohol wipe will get the stuff off bit once it dries it will not come off easily.. will not come off unless you work at it.

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I mentioned in one thread that I installed the SR and never uninstalled my Alien Sunshade. The SR installed easily with the Alien in place.
The black Alien Sunshade looks great with the SR. You look up and see the black sunscreen and do not see the framework of the SR. Even with the Alien in place, the front lock down clamps on the SR are easy to get to / to work with.

I had entertained the idea of getting the retractable screen from Bestop but the Alien / SR combo may just be what I stick with. Again, the combo looks great together. IF, I did not have a black Alien then I would not be saying this.

I have a mojo sun shade and took it off. It sits too low. I will be getting the retractable though, as soon as its available.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a mojo sun shade and took it off. It sits too low. I will be getting the retractable though, as soon as its available.
I have lots of head room with the Alien Sunshade. I'm 6' tall.

Much depends on the look and functionality of the Bestop retractable as to whether I buy one.

Of course, if Bestop offers it at a real decent price, that might get me buying one....... Looks and functionality are my main concern...

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I have lots of head room with the Alien Sunshade. I'm 6' tall.

Much depends on the look and functionality of the Bestop retractable as to whether I buy one.

Of course, if Bestop offers it at a real decent price, that might get me buying one....... Looks good and functionality are my main concern..
I'm 6, 2 and tall from the torso, I plan on using the 75 lite brite deal on the retractable.you guys used black tape. I'm going to try my black gorilla tape. On that cable.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
About the Bestop, shiney, metallic looking, logo on either side of the Sunrider. ... Well, the logo stands out like a sore thumb in my opinion. I do not like logo this and logo that all over my vehicles..

Anyway, I used a black sharpie to carefully paint over the edges of the words on the logo.

Immediately after painting with the sharpie, I used a soft piece of cloth to gently wipe the black sharpie coloring. Doing this lets say subdued the black color I guess you would say and geeez, it came out looking decent.

You can still see the word Bestop but it is not metallic looking and standing out like a sore thumb anymore.

Oh, that sharpie color is on there. When you are applying, an alcohol wipe will get the stuff off bit once it dries it will not come off easily.. will not come off unless you work at it.

Can you just take off the bestop logo"? isnt it just on there with doublestick?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you just take off the bestop logo"? isnt it just on there with doublestick?
@anotheraznguy

Yes,the logo's ar on there with some type of adhesive. I'm thinking a little heat from a heat gun and then working so fishing line behind the logo to loosen it and yup it would probably come right off.

Reality is my touching the logo up with the marker left it looking not bad at all..

I did not want to be the first to this as with my luck I would be the first to find out that the said removal process caused damage. So, with that said, please somebody else do the removal and then I will also remove. 8-)

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Installed! I took a bunch of pics but I'll get those together and then head over to the link Cassie noted for pics. This top is absolutely incredible. By far the thickest soft top material I've ever had. I was wonder if it would bow up on the freeway - not a chance as it's connect tightly to 2 cross bars. Easy install (after the Z-Clip). I didn't have help this early so I used a long 1" thick box and worked my way slowly to align it onto the Jeep. instantly adds appeal and big time looks to the Jeep. All in all I would rate it 5 star (which I'll also do later). Any slight waves will work themselves out with time and sun - but they are extremely minor...100% better than the 1st install video on here. I think those Freedom panels will remain in their bag in the basement for eternity. :clap:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Firecracker18

Yup, a terrific offering to say the least..... AND you got a great price on it.

Easy install for just one guy or gal. Just place a large shipping pad or a cardboard on top of the JL's hard top and them climb up a little step ladder with the SR in hand and lie it gently on top of the cardboard or pad.... THEN, you can easily maneuver the SR in place.

Frigggg those darn Z-Clips.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Needlenose might help. Patience helps more. You should video yourself trying to put it on the first time. Then we can see you cry.
Ok, I now have perspective after installing the JK version. Those Z wires are nothing. You should have heard me bitching and whining while installing that sucker!

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Ok - pics are up. And back to those z-clips. It's doable but it's not as easy as the video(s) as there's barely any cord sticking out from the top. Add to that they want to pull back in after pulling pretty hard just to get enough play. vice grips (without bending the wire) would work best. It's the angle that makes it difficult to get in correctly while dealing with the unattached side rail and roof. Just take your time and will come together finally. If someone gets it the very first try I applaud you.

Here's the link to the pics: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/lets-see-em-sunrider-for-jl.18694/

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Hey guys,

Check out our install video for the Sunrider for Hardtop:

Don't forget to purchase your Sunrider for Hardtop by tomorrow to get the $200 savings!

Also, it is confirmed, the Sunrider for Hardtop for JL WILL WORK on the newly released Gladiator!

CassieAtbestop
Sponsored