Sponsored

The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure. Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I understand, just never knew the recovery vehicle used that much speed with kinetic rope.

So the recovery process with kinetic rope is to press skinny pedal to the floor with slack in rope, I got it now.
If you were in mud, maybe so. Gotta get going and clearing the treads of mud involves wheel spin. Yep, slack.
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
So the recovery process with kinetic rope is to press skinny pedal to the floor with slack in rope
No. The video won't load for me so I can't really comment on what was being done in OP's situation. But generally the recovering vehicle pulls ahead slowly to find the end of the rope, then backs up a foot or two and gives it a little bit of skinny pedal. The rope will stretch and then hopefully pull the stuck vehicle out. It's a controlled thing. Some recoveries will require more snatch than others so it may get exciting. But you don't start out on your first attempt bumper to bumper then floor it trying to grab third gear before you hit the end of the rope.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So up wheeling over the weekend and been in 2wd all weekend. The trails are sandy and no real threat of getting stuck..... well or so I thought.

We are leading the pack as normal. Enter a water hole and bam stuck we are. Out comes our kinetic rope. The 2nd Jeep drives around the water hole and hooks up to pull us out. We are not super stuck. Should be an easy recovery. My bud gives it a yank and the kinetic rope breaks.

Turn up the sound. It sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

The rope come back to my Jeep and destroys the winch control box, and winch solenoid. Then hits the grille and bust the grille insert and caves in the AC condenser. I unhook the positive cable to winch to ensure that the exploded wires do not turn the winch or or ground out the battery. Luck is on my side though as the A/C condenser is not leaking and we still have air. We continue wheeling the rest of the day without issue.

A/C condenser
1626882453007.png

Grille insert
1626882490051.png

Winch Control box
1626882540964.png

Get home and today, finish ordering everything I need.

Bought a new Warn winch to replace the Smitybuilt X2O. The cost to get a new control box,, solenoid and wireless control module and I had planned on replacing the synthetic rope in the near future, it just made sense to upgrade to the WARN and have a new winch. The Smitybuilt had served me well, but I just could not see dropping approx 400 to 450 into the Smitybuilt winch when that money could be used to upgrade to the Warn.

I bought this for a winch $840 of Amazon. About $50 cheaper than anywhere I could find it on the web.
Warn VR EVO 12-S Winch with Synthetic Rope

I ordered a new Gladiator center grille insert. $23 at the dealer. I could find it for $13 on the web, but by the time I added shipping, most places were at the $45 range. Score one for the dealer.

The new A/C condenser was $54 + shipping and total cost was $75. I will still have to pay someone to drain the old system and recharge it after I install the condenser so there is no total cost on this.

Bought a new kinetic rope from Factor 55. Cost $170

Just the cost of wheeling.

Some pics leading up to it and the weekend in general.

Pic of the Jeep and camper heading home after the weekend.
1626882659447.png

out on the trails
1626882700536.png

1626882743011.png

1626882770310.png

1626882826402.png

1626882926334.png

1626882968469.png

Drone flight through our base camp at a lake that is off the beating path in Northern Michigan.

Are you still enjoying the GeoPro?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Glad everyone's OK.

Recently priced out the new R-1234YF refrigerant, ouch.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
40+yrs. of wheeling, WOW! To bad the rope didn't go the other way. The guy doing the tugging is an idiot IMO. If the rope broke at his bumper connection, a double idiot. Rope connection is often the weak link.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That’s typical for a kinetic recovery rope. The whole idea is a yank and momentum transfer to the vehicle being recovered.
Yes this correct, but I’ve never seen it work, at least in the sugar sand mud/ clay mud crap we have around here. In fact, this is what usually happens.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
What's the consensus on using a kinetic rope with a synthetic winch line? I haven't, but having both (and tree savers, straps, and shackles) I figured all could be used together if a really long recovery line is needed.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
What's the consensus on using a kinetic rope with a synthetic winch line? I haven't, but having both (and tree savers, straps, and shackles) I figured all could be used together if a really long recovery line is needed.
Winches need a firm line, you don’t want a stretchy line for a winch. Winches do not handle dynamic loads well. They like a consistent force with slow transitions of loading/unloading

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
your tires look a bit worn…. 😞

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Winches need a firm line, you don’t want a stretchy line for a winch. Winches do not handle dynamic loads well. They like a consistent force with slow transitions of loading/unloading
I figured that might be the case. Preciate it!

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

So up wheeling over the weekend and been in 2wd all weekend. The trails are sandy and no real threat of getting stuck..... well or so I thought.

We are leading the pack as normal. Enter a water hole and bam stuck we are. Out comes our kinetic rope. The 2nd Jeep drives around the water hole and hooks up to pull us out. We are not super stuck. Should be an easy recovery. My bud gives it a yank and the kinetic rope breaks.

Turn up the sound. It sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

The rope come back to my Jeep and destroys the winch control box, and winch solenoid. Then hits the grille and bust the grille insert and caves in the AC condenser. I unhook the positive cable to winch to ensure that the exploded wires do not turn the winch or or ground out the battery. Luck is on my side though as the A/C condenser is not leaking and we still have air. We continue wheeling the rest of the day without issue.

A/C condenser
1626882453007.png

Grille insert
1626882490051.png

Winch Control box
1626882540964.png

Get home and today, finish ordering everything I need.

Bought a new Warn winch to replace the Smitybuilt X2O. The cost to get a new control box,, solenoid and wireless control module and I had planned on replacing the synthetic rope in the near future, it just made sense to upgrade to the WARN and have a new winch. The Smitybuilt had served me well, but I just could not see dropping approx 400 to 450 into the Smitybuilt winch when that money could be used to upgrade to the Warn.

I bought this for a winch $840 of Amazon. About $50 cheaper than anywhere I could find it on the web.
Warn VR EVO 12-S Winch with Synthetic Rope

I ordered a new Gladiator center grille insert. $23 at the dealer. I could find it for $13 on the web, but by the time I added shipping, most places were at the $45 range. Score one for the dealer.

The new A/C condenser was $54 + shipping and total cost was $75. I will still have to pay someone to drain the old system and recharge it after I install the condenser so there is no total cost on this.

Bought a new kinetic rope from Factor 55. Cost $170

Just the cost of wheeling.

Some pics leading up to it and the weekend in general.

Pic of the Jeep and camper heading home after the weekend.
1626882659447.png

out on the trails
1626882700536.png

1626882743011.png

1626882770310.png

1626882826402.png

1626882926334.png

1626882968469.png

Drone flight through our base camp at a lake that is off the beating path in Northern Michigan.

ouch!!!!

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Wow! It really does sound like a gun shot. Glad y’all are ok.

I just gotta ask, why weren’t you in 4wd while being pulled out?

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for sharing Ted, great video and PSA about the dangers of vehicle recovery.

I've seen MadMatt push air dampers and always brushed it off. No doubt this type of incident can kill or seriously injure someone but I always have people back away from the danger zone. I never even considered the damage it could do to the vehicle.

You just convinced me to order an air damper!

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for sharing Ted, great video and PSA about the dangers of vehicle recovery.

I've seen MadMatt push air dampers and always brushed it off. No doubt this type of incident can kill or seriously injure someone but I always have people back away from the danger zone. I never even considered the damage it could do to the vehicle.

You just convinced me to order an air damper!
I'm also suddenly became convinced to add two dampers to my recovery gear. Thanks, @wibornz, for sharing your experience.

Yes, two:

Sponsored