Sponsored

The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure. Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So up wheeling over the weekend and been in 2wd all weekend. The trails are sandy and no real threat of getting stuck..... well or so I thought.

We are leading the pack as normal. Enter a water hole and bam stuck we are. Out comes our kinetic rope. The 2nd Jeep drives around the water hole and hooks up to pull us out. We are not super stuck. Should be an easy recovery. My bud gives it a yank and the kinetic rope breaks.

Turn up the sound. It sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

The rope come back to my Jeep and destroys the winch control box, and winch solenoid. Then hits the grille and bust the grille insert and caves in the AC condenser. I unhook the positive cable to winch to ensure that the exploded wires do not turn the winch or or ground out the battery. Luck is on my side though as the A/C condenser is not leaking and we still have air. We continue wheeling the rest of the day without issue.

A/C condenser
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882453007

Grille insert
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882490051

Winch Control box
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882540964

Get home and today, finish ordering everything I need.

Bought a new Warn winch to replace the Smitybuilt X2O. The cost to get a new control box,, solenoid and wireless control module and I had planned on replacing the synthetic rope in the near future, it just made sense to upgrade to the WARN and have a new winch. The Smitybuilt had served me well, but I just could not see dropping approx 400 to 450 into the Smitybuilt winch when that money could be used to upgrade to the Warn.

I bought this for a winch $840 of Amazon. About $50 cheaper than anywhere I could find it on the web.
Warn VR EVO 12-S Winch with Synthetic Rope

I ordered a new Gladiator center grille insert. $23 at the dealer. I could find it for $13 on the web, but by the time I added shipping, most places were at the $45 range. Score one for the dealer.

The new A/C condenser was $54 + shipping and total cost was $75. I will still have to pay someone to drain the old system and recharge it after I install the condenser so there is no total cost on this.

Bought a new kinetic rope from Factor 55. Cost $170

Just the cost of wheeling.

Some pics leading up to it and the weekend in general.

Pic of the Jeep and camper heading home after the weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882659447

out on the trails
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882700536

Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882743011

Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882770310

Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882826402

Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882926334

Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626882968469

Drone flight through our base camp at a lake that is off the beating path in Northern Michigan.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Glad nobody was hurt.

I hope it wasn’t a Bubba Rope (what I have). :surprised:

Last edited:

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
cool adventure!

Do you have photos of the broken rope? I cannot play the audio of the rope breaking...

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So up wheeling over the weekend and been in 2wd all weekend. The trails are sandy and no real threat of getting stuck..... well or so I thought.

We are leading the pack as normal. Enter a water hole and bam stuck we are. Out comes our kinetic rope. The 2nd Jeep drives around the water hole and hooks up to pull us out. We are not super stuck. Should be an easy recovery. My bud gives it a yank and the kinetic rope breaks.

Turn up the sound. It sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

The rope come back to my Jeep and destroys the winch control box, and winch solenoid. Then hits the grille and bust the grille insert and caves in the AC condenser. I unhook the positive cable to winch to ensure that the exploded wires do not turn the winch or or ground out the battery. Luck is on my side though as the A/C condenser is not leaking and we still have air. We continue wheeling the rest of the day without issue.

A/C condenser
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626883768237

Grille insert
Jeep Wrangler JL The sound of a Kinetic Rope failure.  Damage and cost..... Plus photos of the wheeling and camping. 1626883768237

Winch Control box

Get home and today, finish ordering everything I need.

Bought a new Warn winch to replace the Smitybuilt X2O. The cost to get a new control box,, solenoid and wireless control module and I had planned on replacing the synthetic rope in the near future, it just made sense to upgrade to the WARN and have a new winch. The Smitybuilt had served me well, but I just could not see dropping approx 400 to 450 into the Smitybuilt winch when that money could be used to upgrade to the Warn.

I bought this for a winch $840 of Amazon. About $50 cheaper than anywhere I could find it on the web.
Warn VR EVO 12-S Winch with Synthetic Rope

I ordered a new Gladiator center grille insert. $23 at the dealer. I could find it for $13 on the web, but by the time I added shipping, most places were at the $45 range. Score one for the dealer.

The new A/C condenser was $54 + shipping and total cost was $75. I will still have to pay someone to drain the old system and recharge it after I install the condenser so there is no total cost on this.

Bought a new kinetic rope from Factor 55. Cost $170

Just the cost of wheeling.

Some pics leading up to it and the weekend in general.

Pic of the Jeep and camper heading home after the weekend.

out on the trails

Drone flight through our base camp at a lake that is off the beating path in Northern Michigan.

It’s a good thing it broke, the way he took off you’re lucky he didn’t pull your bumper off.. 🤣 .. maybe it’s just the way it looks in the video.......:)

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
Can't see or hear the video. (This has been happening a lot recently on this site, I haven't changed any settings, also can't stay logged in either).

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
You should get the rope that Matts Towing sells on his YouTube channel, he pulls everything with them. I think they are around $400 or so, but you can't break them. Watch Matts Towing on YouTube he pulls everything out with a Jeep Cherokee, I mean just about everything.
Matts Towing on YouTube

Last edited:

Sponsored

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Curious as to age of the rope as well. I rock climb and have seen/heard of rope failures. Often it's due to age and/or contamination of the rope. Climbing ropes take more frequent stress from falls and a well used rope only lasts a couple of years before the manufacturer says you ought to replace it. 5 years of infrequent use is the recommended replacement time there.

The synthetic ropes in the off-road industry use similar if not the same materials so keep that in mind. For contamination issues, the climbing ropes either had dirt in the (slipped past the sheath) or in some cases acid contamination from battery acid or other factors due to storing it in a garage or trunk.

Also just wondering if you had a damper on the kinetic rope and if you think it would have saved the winch if you did,. Not sure if that's a normal thing to do in the recovery setup.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Was that start of a race or a Jeep recovery? He took off like he stole it, damn.
That’s typical for a kinetic recovery rope. The whole idea is a yank and momentum transfer to the vehicle being recovered.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
don't know what kind of kinetic rope you had or the condition of it. They do not like to be dirty, so they need to be cleaned periodically and can only take so many stretches before they need to be replaced. Really sucks you had this happen to you, glad there were no injuries and just some annoying damage. When I was on SAR we never used kinetic ropes because they are dangerous, but I use them a ton when wheeling with my friends.

I'd highly recommend MasterPull SuperYanker for a replacement kinetic rope. Everyone that gets one preaches about how great they are, but not cheap.

Update:
I was able to see the video on my phone. I could not see it on the computer. It’s hard to tell from that distance but looks like the failure was at the pull vehicle. So this would be a faulty or worn strap or the way the pull jeep set it up. His technique is not good, WAY too much speed and too much slack. Just need a little slack, not half the ropes unstretched length.

Last edited:

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That’s typical for a kinetic recovery rope. The whole idea is a yank and momentum transfer to the vehicle being recovered.
I understand, just never knew the recovery vehicle used that much speed with kinetic rope.

So the recovery process with kinetic rope is to press skinny pedal to the floor with slack in rope, I got it now.
Sponsored