Sponsored

The simplest tuner to change tire size, etc.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
So I own the taser mini. I installed it and and left it in for the live features. Long story short I am just not technically advanced enough to enjoy this thing. At one point the brakes locked up or whatever that is called and freaked me out because it wouldn’t roll. Another time I must have done it just right and while I was trying to put my windows down on a hot day and not start the Jeep, I somehow triggered a light show. Ridiculous.
I just want the absolute simplest way to adjust the Jeep for the 35’s and possibly a gear change in the future. nothing else Is necessary for me.
I had the AEV in the past on my JK, and that was great. nice and simple. but the one they make for the JL seems to be more complicated than their JK one.

Does anyone make a super simple tuner that is more user friendly for those of us that are not as technically savvy and just want it to be like stock but be adjusted for the bigger tires?
I unmarried and uninstalled the taser mini, and have been running it for a few months with nothing without any issues, but it would be nice to get the speedo back to calibrated, and possibly improve the shift points a bit.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@rubiRI77

Some guys/gals are just best to stay far away from a programmer. A Tazer JL is a programmer and not a tuner...

Regardless of whether you use A Tazer JL, Superchips Flashcal or JSCAN, a guy or gal that is really not at all tech savvy... and has no desire, etc. to be tech savvy ..... can get into deep chitt so to speak with any of the programming tools I just mentioned... And along with this, their Wrangler ownership is made not so fun thanks to the Tech burden...

Burden..... Installing, marrying and unmarrying, playing coy with the dealership Service Dept.... having features bite them in the ass so to speak, no start situations , warranty worries. learning curve and more..

For guys / gals like that.... they are better off having the dealer program tire size and say get a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ESS.

Sell that terrific Tazer JL.... Take the $250 it will probably sell for used and give $125+- of it to the dealer to program tire size so your speedo is correct and your shift points hopefully adjust... Now, take another $129 and buy a SmartStopStart unit... chittt, the $250 is now gone..

In closing get past... far away from the Tech burden and just enjoy your JL..

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
My brother recommended to me the Alpha OBD with obdlink for me to do the same.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Stuckinthesand

I never recommend a Chrysler 12+8 cable anymore..

For a couple of $ less you can get a Security Gateway Bypass Module that is just lets say... a better alternative for a few reasons.

I tell guy/gals to buy this one if they want for use with a Bluetooth OBDll Scanner alone or with JSCAN or Alpha OBD .

https://www.amazon.com/ECRI-Securit...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0Q88YVKMVXKFMYFNZ5YA

Also.... if the OP can't stomach a Tazer JL Mini... do you really think he will be happy with JSCAN... Funny...

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
@Stuckinthesand

I never recommend a Chrysler 12+8 cable anymore..

For a couple of $ less you can get a SecurityGateway Bypass Module that is just lets say... a better alternative for a few reasons.

I tell guy/gals to buy this one if they want for use with a Bluetooth OBDll Scanner alone or with JSCAN or Alpha OBD .

https://www.amazon.com/ECRI-Securit...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0Q88YVKMVXKFMYFNZ5YA

Thanks for the info on this. Just added to the Christmas list I’ll be handing the wife 😂

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info on this. Just added to the Christmas list I’ll be handing the wife 😂

@Stuckinthesand

Also tell her you want a ZAutomotive SGW Extension Cable... at $29. Use that with EGR Security Gateway Bypass Module. You can leave the EGR Security Gateway Bypass Module hooked up 24/7, 365 days of the year. You will have no problems with UConnect awakening or other issues...

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

Just remember to remove the ECRI from the JL when you go to the dealership Service Dept... Just tuck the SGW Extension Cable up so the Tech misses it or thinks it is a factory harness...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I got the Tazer Lite, doesn't have all the flashy features of the Tazer Mini but has the tire calibration and best of all that ESS bypass, that in itself is worth the cost IMO.

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rubiRI77

Some guys/gals are just best to stay far away from a programmer. A Tazer JL is a programmer and not a tuner...

Regardless of whether you use A Tazer JL, Superchips Flashcal or JSCAN, a guy or gal that is really not at all tech savvy... and has no desire, etc. to be tech savvy ..... can get into deep chitt so to speak with any of the programming tools I just mentioned... And along with this, their Wrangler ownership is made not so fun thanks to the Tech burden...

Burden..... Installing, marrying and unmarrying, playing coy with the dealership Service Dept.... having features bite them in the ass so to speak, no start situations , warranty worries. learning curve and more..

For guys / gals like that.... they are better off having the dealer program tire size and say get a SmartStopStart unit to deal with ESS.

Sell that terrific Tazer JL.... Take the $250 it will probably sell for used and give $125+- of it to the dealer to program tire size so your speedo is correct and your shift points hopefully adjust... Now, take another $129 and buy a SmartStopStart unit... chittt, the $250 is now gone..

In closing get past... far away from the Tech burden and just enjoy your JL..

yeah, that is pretty much where I am at now anyway. Was just hoping their was a simple no frills one out there.

Heck, I have even gotten used to the start/stop. Now that it is cold out it hardly ever does it anyway. And that button is pretty easy for the times I wheel it, etc. And I have gotten used to ignoring the tpms when I wheel it too. just switch the screen to something else and enjoy the ride!

I wonder what having the dealer set the tire size does for warranty stuff though? Not that I am very concerned about it since I have already added a tiny lift and changed tires, added armor, etc. and if they looked underneath and saw all the scrape marks, well.....basically I've already given them plenty of lame excuses to use haha.

Thanks for the input. :like:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah, that is pretty much where I am at now anyway. Was just hoping their was a simple no frills one out there.

Heck, I have even gotten used to the start/stop. Now that it is cold out it hardly ever does it anyway. And that button is pretty easy for the times I wheel it, etc. And I have gotten used to ignoring the tpms when I wheel it too. just switch the screen to something else and enjoy the ride!

I wonder what having the dealer set the tire size does for warranty stuff though? Not that I am very concerned about it since I have already added a tiny lift and changed tires, added armor, etc. and if they looked underneath and saw all the scrape marks, well.....basically I've already given them plenty of lame excuses to use haha.

Thanks for the input. :like:
@rubiRI77

When dealer does it you are golden in their eyes so to speak...

IF you decide to sell the Tazer JL.... DO, do remember to unmarry it and two hook the 2 cables back up to the Security Gateway..

Don't tell Service Dept. staff that you tried/used a programmer.
They will be clueless, unless you spill the beans..

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
@Stuckinthesand

Also tell her you want a ZAutomotive SGW Extension Cable... at $29. Use that with EGR Security Gateway Bypass Module. You can leave the EGR Security Gateway Bypass Module hooked up 24/7, 365 days of the year. You will have no problems with UConnect awakening or other issues...

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

Just remember to remove the ECRI from the JL when you go to the dealership Service Dept... Just tuck the SGW Extension Cable up so the Tech misses it or thinks it is a factory harness...

Do people have issues with Uconnect awakening with Chrysler bypass wires hooked up?

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rubiRI77

When dealer does it you are golden in their eyes so to speak...

IF you decide to sell the Tazer JL.... DO, do remember to unmarry it and two hook the 2 cables back up to the Security Gateway..

Don't tell Service Dept. staff that you tried/used a programmer.
They will be clueless, unless you spill the beans..
Yeah, I unmarried it and plugged the security gateway back in so as far as I can tell there is no evidence I ever did anything. That is pretty funny that the dealer will do it, and everything is fine in their eyes because I'm willing to bet they are just doing the same basic thing but on a fancy factory approved computer.

I did play around with it quite a bit, but after going back and forth a bunch of times with the camera on turns, and other things like that I just found it more distracting than anything.
And I really did not like the unexpected no start or whatever the blank that was all about, and also the unexpected light show in my work parking lot that I had to scramble to shut off. ....Not for me.
As far as I can tell it is only 2 mph off anyway so I may just leave it, but the shift points seem a little off compared to when the Tazer was plugged in, but then again it has been a while now so could just be my imagination.

Thanks again for the input.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do people have issues with Uconnect awakening with Chrysler bypass wires hooked up?
@BlackGenesis

The wake up issue is often with the device they leave plugged into the Chrysler 12+8 cable or plugged in at the OBDll port

With that said..... I know there is no issue leaving a ZAutomotive Security Gateway Bypass Module or a ECRI Security Gateway Module connected to the SGW .... but I do not / would not leave an Bluetooth OBDII Scanner attached 24/7, 365.. With some you may be aok but with others you will be faced with a no start situation after the device keeps UConnect awakening on and off all night...

OP
OP
rubiRI77

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@rubiRI77

IF the speedo is off enough the shift points are as a result of that also off....

What the Service Dept. Tech does with the WiTech 2 they use when they adjust speedo, turn on Aux switches, and such is basically the same as a guy/ga does with a programmer tool like a Tazer JL or with JCAN.

When watching a Tech use the WiTech 2, I see the similarities...

With the WiTech 2 though........ the Tech is really strapped in so to speak, since the WiTech 2 is simultaneously communicating with Stellantis....

The WiTech 2 uses your JL's VIN# and Stellantis knows your specific vehicle is hooked up.

Stellanits actually dictates to the Tech what he/she can do or not do programming wise.. Yes, a savvy Tech can do the dance and often get a deed done but he/she has to deal with having the factory in the mix..

I'm an older guy but truly enjoy the Techy stuff..... but even I have grown a bit tired of the Tech burden I call it... I used to be heavy into the Tazer JL and now dabble with JSCAN... Both terrific tools but again, not as enjoyable fooling with them as it used to be...

Really good info to know, thanks very much for that. I think I will probably have the dealer do it soon. I have dragged my feet because I really don't like getting the dealer involved if I don't have to. I just don't trust their workmanship so to speak. I do all my own maintenance, etc. on all of our vehicles because they are just not going to use the care I will.
Thanks again for the knowledge and input.
Sponsored