Sponsored

The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke with Rhinorack last week, and they confirmed the Pioneer rack would be up for sale by the end of June. I was told there are some components being shipped from Australia and that caused some delay. I asked if that was the sole source of the delay, but wasn’t given any more info.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
LOD rack

It looks great, it really does, but I'm thinking that that snowmobile, fully cantilevered on the rack might have ended badly.

This isn't to say the rack won't likely hold large amounts weight when closed, and respectable amounts fully open. For that thing to hold a snowmobile fully cantilevered I'd think other aspects of the rack, or even the Wrangler might have to be strengthen.

I would guess that to hold that much weight fully catilevered (5.5' around) the rack's sliders would have to be able to hold a ton.

That would be a ridiculous amount to expect sliders to hold.

I can't "weight" to buy one.

Last edited:

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
LOD rack

It looks great, it really does, but I'm thinking that that snowmobile, fully cantilevered on the rack might have ended badly.

This isn't to say the rack won't likely hold large amounts weight when closed, and respectable amounts fully open. For that thing to hold a snowmobile fully cantilevered I'd think other aspects of the rack, or even the Wrangler might have to be strengthen.

I would guess that to hold that much weight fully catilevered (5.5' around) the rack's sliders would have to be able to hold a ton.

That would be a ridiculous amount to expect sliders to hold.

I can't "weight" to buy one.
You'd be surprised at how much weight the rack has held at full cantilever! Obviously we don't condone opening the rack with that much weight. The idea behind that (as crazy as it looks or was) was to show how easy it is to slide the rack even under extreme load, upwards of 650lbs! :rock:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You'd be surprised at how much weight the rack has held at full cantilever! Obviously we don't condone opening the rack with that much weight. The idea behind that (as crazy as it looks or was) was to show how easy it is to slide the rack even under extreme load, upwards of 650lbs! :rock:
Hopefully you'll give us some specs of what weight to not exceed either fully closed or fully open (cantilevered) when the JL version rolls out.

But you're right...pretty amazing how much weight you put on the rack, and that it even slides at all under such a load!

Sponsored

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
I spoke with Rhinorack last week, and they confirmed the Pioneer rack would be up for sale by the end of June. I was told there are some components being shipped from Australia and that caused some delay. I asked if that was the sole source of the delay, but wasn’t given any more info.
Rhino Rack is becoming a joke. First it was Oct, then Nov, then Dec, and Jan. After Feb, they post on their site in April (coming in June). Today the website says (coming July).
I would ask my wife for a backbone for XMas. But I would hate to be disappointed when its not released by then.....

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My roof-top tent is three seasons. I had hoped to use the RR back-bone Pioneer Platform with it this summer. Because of the delays, I am now assuming that the system won't actually be available for installation until mid-fall (July order, August out of stock announcement, late September shipping). I usually expect it is American retailers that are months behind in their deliveries. Disappointed that Australia is now following the US example. So my RTT travels have been postponed for two years and counting.

Jeb22

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (White)
I spoke to ARB yesterday. They are releasing their JL roof rack sometime this summer. I was told that it is in production now. Northridge 4x4 has posted pics. I was surprised to hear that the rack system will be around 100 pounds (shipping weight) and comes in both steel and alloy versions. One will have a mesh floor the other will have only cross bars and will be pretty low profile. It is a nice looking system, could be a viable replacement if Rhino Rack doesn't get their S##t together soon. I believe measurements will be around 72"x48". Fingers crossed for something to come on the market. Still considering the Maximus 3 setup as well.

Sponsored

sandygar4

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I emailed Rhino last week about the backbone system for the JL's and they said that they would be available after the 4th of July. I've heard that from other manufacturers before and then the date is pushed back again and again--we'll see.

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke with Rhino-Rack again today/ The confirmed the Pioneer Backbone rack will be on sale the first week of July. Today I was told that that Jeep changed the design of the hardtop five times during while the rack system was designed, but that the system was compatible with all those changes.

ETA: RR confirmed that the units would be available for shipping the second week of July.

Last edited:

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just saw an Instagram post today of someone placing an order for the JLU backbone today directly through rhino rack, or through north ridge...But they are friends of trailrecon and overlandx....

CM⛰

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
1397CD4C-2E93-4CB3-B8A5-F46EFFBBDA4B.png
Rhino Rack Backbone on Northridge 4x4 site.
Sponsored