Sponsored

The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I installed my SMS Exposed Rack and got my tent mounted. It's a low profile rack. Mount rack to tent first, then mount tent onto the jeep. I then built a awning mount this morning. Seems like a well built rack. Came with weight distribution feet that can be adjusted.

20190525_122830.jpg

20190525_192343.jpg

20190525_192356.jpg
I have the sam tent, but for a hardtop, does that look like it can support 600lbs including the tent? 2 Adults/2 Kids
I think this is the version for the hardtop which can support the most weight. https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9659-bk
What I did last year was using the Thule gutter mount (1 Adult/2 Kids), when I arrived the campsite, I use a kid size inflatable bed under the tank/rack to distribute the weight across the hardtop, I also put yoga blocks between the hardtop and the roll bar for additional supports under the hardtop.
Sponsored

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 2.0 i4 turbo, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have the sam tent, but for a hardtop, does that look like it can support 600lbs including the tent? 2 Adults/2 Kids
I think this is the version for the hardtop which can support the most weight. https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9659-bk
What I did last year was using the Thule gutter mount (1 Adult/2 Kids), when I arrived the campsite, I use a kid size inflatable bed under the tank/rack to distribute the weight across the hardtop, I also put yoga blocks between the hardtop and the roll bar for additional supports under the hardtop.
I got the low profile rack set up and then bought a single bar/brackets to make it 3 bars total.

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Took my hard top a bit ago, but wanted to share that I was able to use my Top Lift Pro to remove the hardtop with the Mopar roof rack still attached.

I know there was an question with weight balance but just in case anyone was wondering :)

3694AB2B-018F-4116-A2CB-6D36FB19D734.jpeg

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Hi, how do you like it so far? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these too because I have surfboards and a soft top. This might be what I'm looking for.
So far so good! Surf boards are all I’ve used it for to this point. Clean, low profile, they do the job.

hicksx3

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Rubicon Unlimited
I’ve been following this thread since the beginning, and finally decided to pull the trigger on the Exposed Racks by SMS. These things are heavy duty with multiple mounting points and multiple install methods. Can install over hard top, UNDER soft top and using soft top hardware, and topless WITHOUT soft top hardware. I have a hard top without a soft top/hardware and installed topless. Easy install even with my Jtops shade on. Best part is they’re incredibly low profile. Maybe stick out an inch or two above the windshield/speaker housings. Claim is that they can support roof tent etc in any of the 3 install methods. I was the first to install topless without soft top hardware, and George from SMS was right there the whole way. Great experience!

More details to follow after I’ve tested on the road etc.

FFB72F68-4626-4A63-A18D-AC12F3A78D81.jpeg

7AF3B799-B641-45DF-9BAA-86F6C3C4CA63.jpeg

88F5C191-53D1-4054-AE38-B07A856CBCCB.jpeg
Sweet thanks....... I will be purchasing this system in the am! My RTT has been collecting dust since I sold my JK and purchased my JL!!

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Anyone have a 'connection' with Rhino Rack? Nearly two years ago, RR exhibited their new JL Back Bone+Pioneer Platform system. Month after month, RR has postponed the system. They even supposedly initiated an email announcement program to inform interested buyers when the BB would begin to be available. They also said that
they would begin to sell this month, June 2019. Absolutely no information coming from RR. They do not answer any of my email questions, either.

I was hoping that an employee of RR would be able to provide at least some information.

When I bought my Mustang GT, multiple Ford employees leaked information to keep potential buyers from cancelling their orders and/or switching to GM or Chrysler. I wonder how many RR customers have given up in frustration and bought other roof racks.

New Update: RR sent me an email saying that the release will be "late June". They are still pushing the release as late as they can. They will also give out a mass email announcement (to whomever has signed up) when the release occurs.

Last edited:

SuperDave010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport JL 2-door
I checked all of the links in the OP, and none of them will work with a soft top. Does anyone know if anyone is going to make a roof rack for a JL 2-door soft top?

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
I just received an email from Garvin saying they're working on a soft top rack... More to come...

Edit: Possible release by end of month

Last edited:

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
While we patiently wait for the backbone release, I figure I’d do some speculation to entertain myself...

What if they are coordinating the release with a Jeep announcement? What if Jeep announces a heavy duty / reinforced hard top? It makes a lot of sense to me for Jeep to offer something from the factory or mopar catalogue to address what I think would be the Wrangler’s biggest weakness in the eyes of the growing overlander group of buyers.

LastMango

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon (replaced 2018 JLU Sport S)
I checked all of the links in the OP, and none of them will work with a soft top. Does anyone know if anyone is going to make a roof rack for a JL 2-door soft top?
Exposed Racks by SMS has a 2-DR soft top rack. Just received my rack (4dr) this week, but noticed they sold those as well.

Sponsored

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
While we patiently wait for the backbone release, I figure I’d do some speculation to entertain myself...

What if they are coordinating the release with a Jeep announcement? What if Jeep announces a heavy duty / reinforced hard top? It makes a lot of sense to me for Jeep to offer something from the factory or mopar catalogue to address what I think would be the Wrangler’s biggest weakness in the eyes of the growing overlander group of buyers.
I like the idea of a top better suited to roof-top-tents, but I'm not buying another top anytime soon (ever?).

I too reached out to RhinoRack this week. No response to an email and a couple of calls to sales went to voicemail...

Last time I spoke with them was in April. At the time they told me they had to re-engineer the mounting hardware (by extending the bolts) to work better with headliners... Not sure why that would take months...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/page-40#post-664478

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I like the idea of a top better suited to roof-top-tents, but I'm not buying another top anytime soon (ever?).

...they had to re-engineer the mounting hardware (by extending the bolts) to work better with headliners... Not sure why that would take months...
I’m speculating it would be similar to getting the headliners from the factory, so something you can add later just as we are all expecting.

I question why the delay as well and I’m doubting an engineering delay at this point, hence my speculation Only other reason I can think of is Rhino is having some internal issues I’m not aware of.

mortimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m speculating it would be similar to getting the headliners from the factory, so something you can add later just as we are all expecting.

I question why the delay as well and I’m doubting an engineering delay at this point, hence my speculation Only other reason I can think of is Rhino is having some internal issues I’m not aware of.
Odd to me that no sales calls would be answered.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
How come this thread is not a sticky anymore??

mshallop

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sport JL
Some free marketing research for the mfgrs...(not that I'd expect the teeth-n-hair folks to be lurking here...)
  • People do own 2-dr JL Jeeps and you should make products for those jeeps too b/c if I see you ignoring me now with all the glorious 4-door loot, you can betchur arse I'll be ignoring you later...
  • I won't buy a rain-gutter-mounted rack, ever. Nothing but problems later down the road and, because 2-door, I need a decent weight/payload allocation...
  • I won't pay more than a grand for a rack. (Those of you charging $2k and even $3k need to get sober.)
  • I won't put a tent up there. (Dumb-arsed idea when you can get a 6-person 6'-tall tent for $69 @ Academy and you don't have to climb a ladder, twice, at 3am just to take a leak...)
  • Accessories are important b/c I want to store all the things up there because 2-door.
Yes, it's a new market and your first inclination may be to run amok with pricing and recover R&D costs in the first year and all that...play the long game and everyone will win...

just my 2-cents...
Sponsored