The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
How will the RR BackBone-Platform be released? Only at the RR website? Or will other retailers also be included in the initial sales?
Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Anyone know when this Rhino Backbone/Pioneer would be coming out?
I just watch a Youtube video of this rack on the JKU, and I really like the how easy it is to remove the rack itself from the Hardtop, and how removing the hardtop is the same, plus it says it can support 800lbs of static weight which more than what I need for a RTT.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

Deadman

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Need a suggestion here on roof racks: I want to go from a current hardtop to a soft top on my 4d JLU to use for a tent & light bar.
What soft top works with what rack?

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Need a suggestion here on roof racks: I want to go from a current hardtop to a soft top on my 4d JLU to use for a tent & light bar.
I don't have a recommendation for a soft top but I would check out the Gobi Stealth rack. It works with both a hard top and a soft top due to its exoskeleton design and it has a mount for a light bar. Only thing is its about 6 months from order to delivery...

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
I have an email out to Kargo Master asking if the rack they're due to release soon will work with both. I will post back here and let you know.

Shinysideup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, JLU soon
After following this thread since the beginning, I got tired of waiting for the perfect rack and decided to get the Barricade Roof Basket from Extreme Terrain in order to help with camping this summer. It's far from perfect, but was so much less expensive than alternatives, I can replace it in a few years when there's more options. I installed it last week, and have driven several hours with it at highway speed.

Pros:
- Does not interfere with open Sunrider
- No whistling, nor notable increase in wind noise
- Half the cost of the next complete solution (towers, cross rails, basket, fairing)

Cons:
- Front brackets look like a first draft. IMO, an ugly solution compared to other brands. The overall look of the rack is "functional".
- Stamped aluminum has some burrs and rough edges. Not a massive problem, but have to be aware if you grab it or wrap soft rope through it.
- Cross bars are pretty far apart, so I'll need to figure somethig out before throwing bundles of firewood up there.
- Easy to scratch off the thin paint on cross bars. Not visible normally though, and not worried about the aluminium.
- Careful installation leaves significant gap between support pad and roof. Extreme Terrain is sending me replacement brackets.

Specifications online are scarce, so here you go:
- 46.5"W x 45"L minimum internal dimensions. Design would allow for flat items up to 51" long, or 50" wide to slide inside supports
- 9-10" space between slats. Slats are 3" on top, 4" on bottom.
- 3" high. 82" from ground on '18 JLUR w/stock wheels, tires no lift.
- 48" highlift will technicall fit, but would be a massive hassle to get in and out.

Conclusion: I got this specifically to stow light, bulky items like tents, sleeping bags etc. I already used it to transport my kids bike when I was too rushed to mount the hitch rack. It does what I intended, is quieter than I expected. Hopefully I get used to the looks soon enough.

Here's some of the other options I considered. Perhaps this research helps others. Best price I could find. Some out of stock, or preorder only. Dimensions are width x length as listed online.

Mopar $680 - 44 x 39
Rhino Rack Vortex SG + XTray Large - $700 - 43 x 58
Garvin Cargo Rack Short + Fairing - $760 - 54 x 36
Garvin Cargo Rack Short + Fairing - $860 - 54 x 52
Warrior Products Platform Roof Rack - $670 - 51 x 58
Thule WingBar Evo 150, Canyon XT - $770 - 41 x 50
Garvin Cargo Rack, flooring, fairing - $960 - 56 x 52
Yakima Round bar, Load Warrior, Extension - $960 - 62 x 39
Rhino Rack Vortex SG, Pioneer - $989 - 47 x 58
Maximus-3 Short - $1249 - 60 x 54
Garvin Expedition Half Rack, Basket - $1299 - 54 x 56

MVIMG_20190504_123401.jpg

jeep.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I ordered one back in March and they're about a week past their estimate of 6-8 weeks, so I should hopefully get it in the next week or so. I'll post some pics and feedback once it arrives.
Nice. I'm wondering how the fit and finish is.

Also if common tie downs work like Rhino Rack, Front Runner and EaziAwn use (slotted bars)

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
@Shinysideup thank you for all the details! I'm considering getting one of those myself; have you found a good cargo net that works with it?

Raingler Nets

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
raingler.com
Vehicle(s)
RAM2500Cummins
Occupation
Custom Cargo Net Builders