Sponsored

The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
Has anyone heard of a rack that mounts independent of your hardtop that would allow you to remove the hardtop but leaving the rack in place? I have JLU Rubicon and want to keep the rack but lose the hardtop for some weekends.
Yes. A Gobi rack is a good example.
Sponsored

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yes. A Gobi rack is a good example.
I use a Top Lift Pro so I can get the top off by myself. The way that Gobi flips back to get the top off I am wondering if using the Top Lift Pro would be possible....hmmmm. Thats a really good looking rack though....thanks,

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
I use a Top Lift Pro so I can get the top off by myself. The way that Gobi flips back to get the top off I am wondering if using the Top Lift Pro would be possible....hmmmm. Thats a really good looking rack though....thanks,
I don’t think so. I also have a top lift pro. I was waiting on the Rhino Rack Backbone, but I am worried that the weight of it will be too much for the top lift. I was thinking about getting the quick release feet to remove the rack first before trying to remove the top off the Jeep.

We will see how this plays out :)

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Has anyone installed the lange hoist a top hand crank model but put the crank on the side of the jeep instead of behind the jeep? I have cabinets behind the jeep.

The_Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Business Owner
Has anyone heard of a rack that mounts independent of your hardtop that would allow you to remove the hardtop but leaving the rack in place? I have JLU Rubicon and want to keep the rack but lose the hardtop for some weekends.
I’ve been looking for a similar solution. It appears the exoskeletons make it rather difficult to take the hard top on or off. The best solution I’ve discovered so far is the new rack from Maximus 3. I am including a link to their post on this forum that says the hard top can be removed by first unbolting the brackets from the sports bar. This means you can use the rack with or without the hard top. Just some bolts to remove each time. Sounds easy enough...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system.19844/

Sponsored

The_Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Business Owner
Has anyone installed the lange hoist a top hand crank model but put the crank on the side of the jeep instead of behind the jeep? I have cabinets behind the jeep.
I bought the power version and it appears to use similar pulley hardware. As far as I can tell, it would work just fine from the side. My experience with their customer service has been good and they will likely be able to confirm with a quick phone call. Not today, though, being Christmas and all.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I am pretty sure the cable would come off a horizontal pulley wheel and end up stuck on the side of the wheel unless a lot of weight it kept on the hoist all the time. I would have to add a pair of horizontal "corner" pulleys mounted to the ceiling but inline with the two single ceiling pulleys to redirect the cable from the side to the front/back axis of the jeep, then into the single ceiling pulleys. The power hoist doesn't use as many pulleys as the crank a hoist. I called Lange and they did not provide any specific advice on this, they said they don't make a pulley for a side mount crank, but they thought it could be done. They suggested I get the power hoist.

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
Maximus 3 has brackets for the Rhino that you can run with the soft top off.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
If you've got the Maximus3 roof rack with the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and need some of those beefy channel nuts that don't cost a bloody fortune. McMaster-Carr has them for less than $5 bucks for a 5 pack. https://www.mcmaster.com/3259t31

View attachment 124274

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 10.03.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 10.11.25 AM.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is not the heavy duty “roof rack” system that most are looking for but it is a great/cheap option for those simply looking for a way to transport a bit more gear when traveling.

- MOPAR roof rails

- Reese Cargo Basker ($88 on Amazon)

Easy install/uninstall and seemingly solid construction. We use it to carry our Patagonia Black Hole duffel bags when traveling. Hard to beat for the money if all you are looking for is some extra cargo storage. I think it looks pretty nice as well! It came with a Reese sticker on the wind deflector but it peeled right off.

AA5C651D-1BC0-410F-BEA3-B4ABA45DD081.jpeg
1D37778C-60B0-4131-87B2-97DD061BBB89.jpeg
2F24EA84-7660-45DA-B1AA-7C42180F5754.jpeg
6DF3C4B8-ABC8-48FE-AEDC-D9A9BBD66482.jpeg
Looks great, how’s the wind noise?

Sponsored

TxJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ Sahara, 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I’ve been looking for a similar solution. It appears the exoskeletons make it rather difficult to take the hard top on or off. The best solution I’ve discovered so far is the new rack from Maximus 3. I am including a link to their post on this forum that says the hard top can be removed by first unbolting the brackets from the sports bar. This means you can use the rack with or without the hard top. Just some bolts to remove each time. Sounds easy enough...

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system.19844/
Maybe I was looking at the install wrong. It looks like you can take the top off but the rack stays on the top.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
*** Updated the original post with the EVO gutter mounted (no drill) roof rack.
Does anyone have this yet? It's rated at 150lbs dynamic load and doesn't require drilling. I don't plan on a rooftop tent, but I'd like a spot to be able to carry larger tools (shovel, axe, maxtrax, a couple jerry cans) and 150 lbs would be plenty.

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Does anyone have this yet? It's rated at 150lbs dynamic load and doesn't require drilling. I don't plan on a rooftop tent, but I'd like a spot to be able to carry larger tools (shovel, axe, maxtrax, a couple jerry cans) and 150 lbs would be plenty.
I do. Been using it for a month or so.

The rating of the rack is essentially the rating of the hard top itself.

21.jpg

IMG_20181107_131323.jpg

IMG_20181107_131342.jpg

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I do. Been using it for a month or so.

The rating of the rack is essentially the rating of the hard top itself.
Nice! I see the Rotopax mounts in the one picture. Are the specific to the Evo rack, or is there some standard in play here?
Sponsored