The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
I like the idea of tying into the window hinges in the back...only problem is you cant remove the freedom panels.
Not on the 2 door, but I have a 4 door so should be able to without issue.
Sponsored

0iiiiiii0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ (sold), 04 Land Rover Disco II (dead), 18 JLU Sport S (granite)
Does anyone know of low profile gutter mount brackets that would work with a pioneer platform? I'd consider gutter mount crossbars, but looking for something much lower profile. I want to get as close as I can to the profile of the maximus 3 + pioneer platform without having to drill. I don't really need the extra weight capacity that comes with a backbone system or maximus 3.

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
*** Updated the original post with the EVO gutter mounted (no drill) roof rack.

3038B Rear Installed-800x534.jpg

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does anyone know of low profile gutter mount brackets that would work with a pioneer platform? I'd consider gutter mount crossbars, but looking for something much lower profile. I want to get as close as I can to the profile of the maximus 3 + pioneer platform without having to drill. I don't really need the extra weight capacity that comes with a backbone system or maximus 3.
Seems like you could get a set of these (at whatever height that makes sense) to mount the platform on:
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...nents/roof-rack-parts/legs/rl-leg-x2-_rl150s2

WhitePanther

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looking for some advice on rack selection. Interested in running a hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer (with top down frequently). Planning a long road trip and would like to use a RTT but still going back and forth on the RTT and a deepsleep4jeep mattress in the back. I also like to take the paddle board out on weekends in the summer.

Not a huge fan of a year round Gobi stealth rack because it seems to add to the process of lowering the soft top, and would even need to come up if I was using a sunrider for hard top. But maybe my best option is an air mattress for the road trip and hitch mount roof rack for the paddle board?

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Looking for some advice on rack selection. Interested in running a hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer (with top down frequently). Planning a long road trip and would like to use a RTT but still going back and forth on the RTT and a deepsleep4jeep mattress in the back. I also like to take the paddle board out on weekends in the summer.

Not a huge fan of a year round Gobi stealth rack because it seems to add to the process of lowering the soft top, and would even need to come up if I was using a sunrider for hard top. But maybe my best option is an air mattress for the road trip and hitch mount roof rack for the paddle board?
If you're into DIY's Chris there's mine https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-no-hole-roof-rails.10580/#post-301033 which features 3 different cross member designs

1) an uninterrupted cross member (put in places in the front and back that doesn't interfere with the soft top)
2) a cross member with a coupler in the middle for easy connect/disconnect
3) a cross member with a coupler in the middle and brackets that allow it to fold out of the way, but go where the rig does so with the cross member folded down you can open the soft top on the way to the big box store, close it when parked, buy some long pipe or lumber, put the folding cross member together, and carry your long purchases home on the rack.

I'm also a Dual Top owner with similar interests in opening my soft top in warmer weather, but running the hard top in the winter.

The LOD Offroad rack for the JL, not yet released, promises to be "the bomb" at what you're looking for.

I think the people at LOD Offroad may have accidentally put the picture in the upper left hand corner here (at least as of this writing) of the yet to released JL rack on the JK rack product page.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2007-2017-jeep-jk-products/jeep-jk-roof-rack.html

I say this because I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that the JK rack slides back, while the JL rack is reported, when it's released, to be able to slide to either side.

I'm attempting a poor man's version of the JK implementation below using garage door hardware (that's a garage door roller circled) and products from Steel-Tek http://www.steel-tek.com/products/:

IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2754.JPG

and hope I'm not infringing on LOD patent (pending) status. I've to set the correct height for the garage door track to clear the soft top in the Sunrider position.

Now...if only I can find some way to automate the sliding of the rack, if it works, I could combine it with this;)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-power-soft-top.13374/#post-402695

Last edited:

CMâ›°

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite Crystal
I’m looking to run a backbone with a pioneer rack. Will these come with everything, ie feet, crossbars, etc.?There is so many items I’m a little confused what items to buy (when they are released).

slillya

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Wrangler Sport S
I'm excited for the backbone platform but am torn between the backbone and the maximus-3. I read somewhere that the backbone has a "redesigned" pioneer platform. Does the backbone system have a different pioneer platform compared to the maximus-3 rack? Do you all think the backbone will make up for its higher cost because of the ease of removing the hardtop?

slillya

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Wrangler Sport S
I’m looking to run a backbone with a pioneer rack. Will these come with everything, ie feet, crossbars, etc.?There is so many items I’m a little confused what items to buy (when they are released).
If you go to the rhino rack website you can select a JK as your vehicle and see the purchase options.They seem to have grouped them together for us. I'll admit that I've never ordered one before, but they show "product breakdown - what you get" and this includes the backbone, pioneer platform, and the legs to connect two platform to the backbone system.

You do have a valid concern though! I've bought my fair share of yakima racks and getting the feet, clips, and bars that all work together takes some figuring out.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this elsewhere, so apologies if you saw it already. This was the thread I was looking for, but couldn’t find it through search. There are a lot of mentions of roof racks on the forum, that’s for sure. Hope someone finds this helpful!

Sponsored

Pavementfree

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2017 WJ2 75th, 2011 F3shitty, 2006 Seadoo GTX sc
Occupation
Firefighter
Long time reader, first time poster. Good news if you’re looking at the Front Runner Slimline- just got one installed last week in Johannesburg at the Front Runner HQ. Should be available soon. Wind noise was negligible on the drive home- not much louder than usual. The capacity is incredible. Obvious challenges are the need to remove the rack if you want to remove the hardtop, and the need to drill through the hardtop to mount, but I knew what I was getting into. Very impressed with the design and build quality. Probably won’t have a snorkel in my future, but haven’t needed one yet. Only eight holes need to be drilled compared to the previous model which required 16. Front supports mount though existing holes to mount to the chassis.

Can you still remove your freedom panels with the rack in place?

5747kwk1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (TBT)
I am considering selecting the Sky One-Touch Power Top. It seems the easiest way to open the top and experience the outdoors. ...but I also think that I maybe limiting any choices to use roof racks, lights, etc. Thoughts?

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I am considering selecting the Sky One-Touch Power Top. It seems the easiest way to open the top and experience the outdoors. ...but I also think that I maybe limiting any choices to use roof racks, lights, etc. Thoughts?
I'm a fan of the hard top for winter/camping duty and soft top for the rest. Though I haven't gotten my soft top yet.

The Sunrider from Bestop looks extremely easy and may make a hard top the best of both worlds. So many options.

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Y'all ready for the newest from Rhino Rack? Here is the soon to be released new Backbone with Pioneer platform. 850+lbs of load capacity and a super low profile . No drilling in to roll bar. The back one takes the weight off the top and transfers to the body.

20181201_142750.jpg

20181130_100938.jpg

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90
Y'all ready for the newest from Rhino Rack? Here is the soon to be released new Backbone with Pioneer platform. 850+lbs of load capacity and a super low profile . No drilling in to roll bar. The back one takes the weight off the top and transfers to the body.

20181201_142750.jpg

20181130_100938.jpg
Waiting for a long time :)
When will it be released and is this a 76" long rack?
Sponsored