The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Hi all. I searched but did not find any info (also didn't read all 26 pages :whew:) Wondering if anyone knows if Rugged Ridge will be making the EXO Top for the JL?
Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Does your jeep with lift and pioneer/Maximus fit in your garage if you have one?
Yep. I've got the Maximus-3 w/ Pioneer platform on my rig with a 3.5" lift and 37" tires. It fits in my standard height garage no problem.

Sponsored

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here's another Build Headed to SEMA with a Rhino Rack.

45020449_10161145917825220_8800603309099450368_o.jpg
Not just a rhino rack, but looks like a rhino rack backbone system also :like:
After I do lift/tires/wheels/gears/lockers, I'll be updating from maximus-3 mounts to the backbone.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Not just a rhino rack, but looks like a rhino rack backbone system also :like:
After I do lift/tires/wheels/gears/lockers, I'll be updating from maximus-3 mounts to the backbone.
Won't that leave extra holes in your hardtop? Or are you planning on replacing the hardtop as well? I'm sure someone out there would appreciate all the work being completed

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Won't that leave extra holes in your hardtop? Or are you planning on replacing the hardtop as well? I'm sure someone out there would appreciate all the work being completed
A little fiberglass works and some hammer tone paint will fix the holes. I've done bigger patches before lol

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
This is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a Thule aero setup (because it was what was on my Ram camper shell), two-bar cross-gutter mount. Static (rolling) rating from everything I found was 165lb, so you can figure at least 3x that for dynamic (parked). I carry a Tepui Kukenam 3 up there, opening toward the back, and the fit is absolutely perfect on a stock Rubicon. I'm 6'1" and can stand under the back when the tent is open with a couple inches to spare.

It is not the lowest-profile setup in the world; I think my bars alone are about 2-3" above the hard top. I've had it up there full-time for a couple months now with zero issues; I would guess about 1500 miles traveled (including 1K in highway 75mph+ miles).

There is also a YouTube video of a couple who have been running a similar setup since May I think; it's where I got the idea from.

The only downside so far - as with any 11" high box on top of your Jeep - is reduced mileage. Real-world on the highway I dropped from about 18.5mpg to 16.5mpg. It doesn't seem to make more noise, no whistling, no top-heavy feel, and I don't notice a rear sag (not to say there isn't - my untrained eye doesn't notice it).

Your usage may vary, and it's always at-your-own-risk from recommendations by people across the internet. But on paper it should work fine, and my personal and at least 1-2 other real-world examples (with no negative examples thus far) tell me it's a decent solution until the Rhino Backbone can finally come out. Once the Backbone is released I'll order that and someone will get a smashing good deal on these semi-generic roof-gutter mounts that will work on many different vehicles

If you want specifics on the parts list let me know; Thule has a myriad of choices and I can at least let you know what I chose and what worked for me
Please do let me know as my wife has a full Thule aeroblade setup on her Mini Clubman and if I just get compatible feet for the Jeep I can swap it over temporarily and then sell the feet later. Should be less of a hit than selling a whole rack, and then I can re-install the rack on the wife's car when the backbone comes out.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Please do let me know as my wife has a full Thule aeroblade setup on her Mini Clubman and if I just get compatible feet for the Jeep I can swap it over temporarily and then sell the feet later. Should be less of a hit than selling a whole rack, and then I can re-install the rack on the wife's car when the backbone comes out.
For the aeroblades I got the 60" ones
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX8PMPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the feet I got these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT8O73I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was it. The Tepui had it's own mounting brackets so I didn't have to do anything fancy.

FWIW - I've also had the Thule basket (extended) up there as well. I actually set the spacing the same as on my Ram 3500, so I could move the basket between the two (have to pull the square-head bolts that hold the basket on to move, but it works). This worked really well.

I've had the tent up there a bit now, and driven from GA to DC and back a couple times on I95 with no issues. I've slept in it, etc. About the only thing I haven't done is serious offroading - but it seems to handle just fine.

From the couple posts up, looks like the Rhino Backbone might be getting close - good thing for me. Although I can mount my tent up there, I don't have enough places to mount the rest of my "stuff"

Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
For the aeroblades I got the 60" ones
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX8PMPG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the feet I got these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT8O73I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was it. The Tepui had it's own mounting brackets so I didn't have to do anything fancy.

FWIW - I've also had the Thule basket (extended) up there as well. I actually set the spacing the same as on my Ram 3500, so I could move the basket between the two (have to pull the square-head bolts that hold the basket on to move, but it works). This worked really well.

I've had the tent up there a bit now, and driven from GA to DC and back a couple times on I95 with no issues. I've slept in it, etc. About the only thing I haven't done is serious offroading - but it seems to handle just fine.

From the couple posts up, looks like the Rhino Backbone might be getting close - good thing for me. Although I can mount my tent up there, I don't have enough places to mount the rest of my "stuff"
Thanks! I'm still undecided, have to see if there's any update on the backbone availability...

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I emailed Rhino Rack today and they stated they are showing the backbone at SEMA and that it is currently in production. Projected to be up for order in "the next few months".

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Has anyone see the new rack from EVO. It says it has a 150 lb dynamic rating with just being a gutter mount so no drilling.

http://www.evomfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=459

I like how low profile it is just dont know if its be worth going for this or waiting for the backbone
I just ordered this myself.

I realized that I will never be mounting a roof top tent - so 150lbs and no drilling would be more than adequate for anything I put up there.

It'll be mainly for lumber runs at home depot, and some offroad recovery equipment occasionally. Mainly a few rotopax and some traction boards.

Got it for $720 shipped in black through Northridge4x4 with their LEO/Military discount.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Installed the EVO rack. Adds 1.5" of height to the Jeep. Very low profile.

Solid design. Heavy duty and strong as hell.

And I can't hear any difference in the normal wind noise I typically get.

How are you liking the rack?
Do you think it would be difficult to put a rhino batwing awning on the side?
Can the paired cross slats be separated?
What kind of loads have you carried?
Sponsored