First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
It requires extra mounting to the roll bar making top removal and install more difficult. The backbone doesn't as it uses the stock hard top mounting points.
Ah. Got ya. Ya I would much prefer that. I saw a video that TrailRecon did on the backbone system and yes it looks very good. I'll wait for that.

Sponsored

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
I Spoke with Rhino Rack and the Pioneer Platform System will be on display on the JL at SEMA. Expecting to order one soon

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I may just get the mopar rack and then sell it and get the rhino when it's out as I'm taking a trip in Feb that will require something heavier duty. I really like the backbone as it doesn't make the hard top any more difficult to remove as I take it off a few times a year.
This is pretty much what I'm doing. I have a Thule aero setup (because it was what was on my Ram camper shell), two-bar cross-gutter mount. Static (rolling) rating from everything I found was 165lb, so you can figure at least 3x that for dynamic (parked). I carry a Tepui Kukenam 3 up there, opening toward the back, and the fit is absolutely perfect on a stock Rubicon. I'm 6'1" and can stand under the back when the tent is open with a couple inches to spare.

It is not the lowest-profile setup in the world; I think my bars alone are about 2-3" above the hard top. I've had it up there full-time for a couple months now with zero issues; I would guess about 1500 miles traveled (including 1K in highway 75mph+ miles).

There is also a YouTube video of a couple who have been running a similar setup since May I think; it's where I got the idea from.

The only downside so far - as with any 11" high box on top of your Jeep - is reduced mileage. Real-world on the highway I dropped from about 18.5mpg to 16.5mpg. It doesn't seem to make more noise, no whistling, no top-heavy feel, and I don't notice a rear sag (not to say there isn't - my untrained eye doesn't notice it).

Your usage may vary, and it's always at-your-own-risk from recommendations by people across the internet. But on paper it should work fine, and my personal and at least 1-2 other real-world examples (with no negative examples thus far) tell me it's a decent solution until the Rhino Backbone can finally come out. Once the Backbone is released I'll order that and someone will get a smashing good deal on these semi-generic roof-gutter mounts that will work on many different vehicles

If you want specifics on the parts list let me know; Thule has a myriad of choices and I can at least let you know what I chose and what worked for me

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Does anybody know the approximate time from order to delivery with Gobi? I know they were estimating 12-16 weeks when they first took orders but have they caught up with production?

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I have had the Rhino Pioneer/Maximus-3 combo for a while now. Here is a quick review:

Does your jeep with lift and pioneer/Maximus fit in your garage if you have one?

Firefly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler TJ
Went with this rack. No drilling. Attaches to gutter rails. Weight limit is that of the rack approx 50 lbs plus cargo so not much. But will allow to transport a kayak or camping gear. Good until other heavier weight bearing racks are released. This is www.justjeepnstuff.com. Dave, the mind behind the build, personally brought it down and was awesome.

20181019_153506_HDR_Film1~2.jpg

trav87

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does your jeep with lift and pioneer/Maximus fit in your garage if you have one?
I know you weren't asking me, but my sport with 2.5" lift and stock 31" tires fits in my garage with the rhino rack and RTT on with a couple inches to spare. The RTT is 11.5" tall folded up, so I'd say a lifted Rubicon with just a rack would fit no problem.

20180923_145011.jpg