The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
After 2 days of research, I am not having much luck finding a rack that would meet my requirements:

1. works with soft top, hardtop and no top (has to be a cage style rack or exoskeleton apparently)
2. rack has at least two cross bar members (side to side) preferably at rear and towards front (to mount malone kayak holders)
3. the height above the highest point on the roof to the top of the cross bar members (side to side bars) can not exceed 4 inches (so I can still drive into garage with kayak holders folded down). It doesn't matter if other parts of the rack are higher than 4".

not all the vendors have the JL models yet, but they will tend to be the same specs as the JK models in terms of height. It looks like the gobi stealth would likely exceed #3 requirement even if I buy their adjustable cross bar to put somewhere behind the front light bar (which is 6" high), but that adjustable bar looks a bit flimsy and the gobi costs a fortune without even paying to ship it to Hawaii.
Sponsored

spblat

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
irace.net
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
I've given up on the dream of a rack and soft top living together. My own goal is a rack strong enough for a rooftop tent. And my thinking is that if we're overlanding, there's no point having the soft top installed if it can't be easily retracted. And I think there's no scenario where the soft top can be retracted without a big to-do of moving the exoskeleton around.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Per rhino:

Thank you for contacting Rhino Rack USA. We are looking to release the JL Rhino Rack Backbone this fall, Mid November.
I was just coming to update the thread as well. I reached out to their customer support a couple days ago - and they stated an estimated November release. At least we're all getting the same answer - which is far better than Mopar Chat on order status!!! ;)

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I was told LOD is developing a rack modeled after their JK rack but "is 10X better than the old rack!". When I contacted them (few weeks ago), they expected to announce something later this Summer. Their site does have a placeholder for the JL Rack, but no specifics at https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html (while writing this reply).

I believe their JK rack worked with a soft top as it would slide backwards allowing you to put the top up/down and providing a nice overhang towards the back of the Jeep. https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...017-jeep-jk-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-405.html

Note: I was told the JK rack was discontinued...

Sir Harriet

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ Wrangler, 2018 JL Sahara 4 Door
*** We will all update this main post with links as JL roof rack aftermarket options become available ***

If you see any JL specific rack/basket setups available, please post them here. Community members will keep the main post updated as posts are made.

Also, if you know of an estimated release date from a specific roof rack company, post it up.

Thanks

Available Now

- Gobi Stealth Rack
- KC KC HiLiTES KC M-RACKS
- Maximus 3 Short
- Maximus 3 Long
- Mopar Rails
- Rhino Rack Rails

Confirmed / Not Yet Released
- Ace Engineering (No date given)
- Body Armor 4x4 (July 2018)
- Fab Fours (Will not be making a JL rack)
- Garvin Wildreness (No date given)
- JCR Offroad (No date given)
- Lange Originals (No date given)
- LOD Offroad (Spring 2018)
- MBRP (No date given)
- Smittybilt (No date given)
- Surco Safari (Spring/Summer 2018)
- Teraflex (No date given)
- Trail FX (working version comparable to their JK rack ... no date given)
- Warrior Products (Spring 2018)
- Front Runner ('Available next year')

Have not responded to emails
- ARB
- Kargo Master Safari

- Off Camber Productions
- Olympic 4x4
- VPR4x4

HI there,

have you had a chance to update this ? Am in Canada and our options are woeful.

Sponsored

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I was told LOD is developing a rack modeled after their JK rack but "is 10X better than the old rack!". When I contacted them (few weeks ago), they expected to announce something later this Summer. Their site does have a placeholder for the JL Rack, but no specifics at https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html (while writing this reply).

I believe their JK rack worked with a soft top as it would slide backwards allowing you to put the top up/down and providing a nice overhang towards the back of the Jeep. https://lodoffroad.com/products/jee...017-jeep-jk-4-door-sliding-roof-rack-405.html

Note: I was told the JK rack was discontinued...

That LOD rack looks promising, not to pretty but quite functional. It sure is heavy though....
Would the hardtop be removable by lifting an inch or two and sliding out the back? and can the soft top be installed with the rack slid back?
thanks for pointing this one out, I will keep an eye out for this one!

I am waiting for LOD to respond to some questions about the upcoming JL rack, will report if they answer.

Last edited:

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That LOD rack looks promising, not to pretty but quite functional. It sure is heavy though....
Would the hardtop be removable by lifting an inch or two and sliding out the back? and can the soft top be installed with the rack slid back?
All good questions and points. I wish I knew, as it's the only one I have my eye on right now with the soft top. I hope they re-designed the look and angles. I could live with the look, but I'm worried the various square/sharp angles on the JK version will cause noise/whistling, etc...

I know we Jeeper's are an impatient bunch, but I really am looking forward to the aftermarket catch up for the JL/JLU Models.

I have a LOD bumper coming in, and plan to use their rock rails. Hopefully the new rack is quality build and I can add it to the list as well.

Clint Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Noticed that Yakima and Thule both have JL compatible roof racks available. At least for the hardtop since the rack towers use the rain gutters.

Good news for those of us looking to mount a canoe ontop of our JL's.

I’d like a basic two crossbar rack but I dislike rain gutter mounts. I don’t mind drilling my top. What’s out there?

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like a basic two crossbar rack but I dislike rain gutter mounts. I don’t mind drilling my top. What’s out there?
If you were able to purchase the Maximus-3 kit without the Rhino rack, I bet you could retrofit some crossbars. Will will definitely still into your top, eight 1/2” holes to be exact. Super solid and weight would be no issue. Getting the hard top off does require more work.

I feel like the Teraflex Nebo would be a good fit for you should they come out with the JL version.

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
As stated earlier, I contacted Rhino Rack and they told me the model number of the wind deflector that I needed for a JL. They told me its best to order from one of their distributors rather than them because they take care of the distributors first and it could delay my order if I went directly through them. SO I ordered off an Amazon company. Got the item a few days later. Does not come even barely close to fitting the Maximus-3 bracketed Pioneer Rack. Now it will be fun to see about returning it. The amazon company told me that I would have to pay freight both ways and a restock fee - but the item came out of the Rhino Rack facility in Aurora, CO, not the Amazon location.

I used clear silicone caulk to fill all the forward and side facing gaps between the full rail system legs and the top of the Pioneer Tray... damn thing still whistles like a friggin prairie dog. When I spoke to Matt at MAXIMUS-3 he told me that none of their installs whistle. I have no clue at this point. I may well remove the full rack, I'll have to eat the cost no doubt, and just get the side rails.

This is the pits.

Sponsored

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
I have listed the rail kit in the market place if anyone is interested. since I'm just gonna run the flat tray, maybe I should get a RTT hahahaha.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR

I am waiting for LOD to respond to some questions about the upcoming JL rack, will report if they answer.
I just talked to Chris at LOD. The new sliding roof rack will first come out for the jk, then the JL a little later (same rack but different mounting hardware) both before the end of the year. The new design has the rack sliding to the side instead of to the back. Many optional attachments will be available. It can be ordered either unpainted steel or painted black. the hardtop and the soft top can be removed or installed after rack installation. The soft top can be folded back any time just by sliding the roof rack off to the side first. I did not ask if the sliding part of the rack can itself be easily removed from the rack frame. also did not get pricing.

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I just talked to Chris at LOD. The new sliding roof rack will first come out for the jk, then the JL a little later (same rack but different mounting hardware) both before the end of the year. The new design has the rack sliding to the side instead of to the back. Many optional attachments will be available. It can be ordered either unpainted steel or painted black. the hardtop and the soft top can be removed or installed after rack installation. The soft top can be folded back any time just by sliding the roof rack off to the side first. I did not ask if the sliding part of the rack can itself be easily removed from the rack frame. also did not get pricing.
that sounds promising! need more options for us soft toppers
Sponsored