Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Ratbert Is your Jeep a 4xe with SOT? Because the people at Garvin told me they just installed a roof rack for a 4xe with SOT recently.
Nope, EcoDiesel. I'm thinking about simply paying a local shop to install the roof rack, rock sliders, and skid plates. I definitely don't relish the idea of drilling through my new / virgin AEV bumper to install the MetalCloak roof rack.
Sponsored

mroback23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021
Not sure if anyone is still interested but I bought this rack and installed it myself on my 2018 jlu sports s, with a soft top. Some things to note:
1. It will not fit the stock plastic rear bumper. If you want it to fit you’re going to have to cut the bumper.
2. It does fit the steel rubicon rear bumper, which is what I have now.
3. The top of rack or the highest point sits about 5” from the top of the door seal. So it doesn’t add to much height but if your jeep has larger tires or a lift, it will come really close to not fitting in a standard garage. I have 33” rubicon tires, no lift, and it has 3-4” of clearance before hitting the top of the garage door.
4.Yes, it does fit isn’t the soft top but in order to use the soft top all the crossbars on top of the rack have to be removed except the last two. And you can only put the soft top into the first position( just flipping it back) the rack will not allow it to get any lower unless you remove all the cross bars completely. Even then it’s a little hard to get the soft top down to the lowest position.
5. I recently got a hardtop and taking off the soft top completely wasn’t to difficult but I still had to loosen the rack remove the soft top and install the hardtop. I was able to remove the soft top by myself but putting on the hardtop took 3 of us. Because of that I don’t think I’ll ever take the hardtop off again as long as the rack is on.
6. The freedom panels do work perfectly with the rack so that’s a plus.
7. overall for the price it’s been pretty good to me. It does squeak every now and then but rarely notice it. If you install it yourself it can be a little difficult so having someone to help would be beneficial. (It took my 3 days, roughly 2-3 hours a day after Work.) The instruction manual isnt To detailed so one should be mindful of all the steps your taking.

overall I do love this rack it has a lot of functionality as far as storage is concerned. I just got a light set so I look forward to mounting them on the rack, which comes with several mounting spots, with holes for the wiring and all. Hopefully this helps!
Thank you for those details!

mroback23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021
Has anyone gone from iKamper Skycamp 2.0 to 3.0? I found really good Roof Top Tents here but loved the iKamper ones. There is almost $700 in difference, and I could maybe use that money to buy something else like a wind deflector.

tykurez

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe, 2021 JT Willys
Very few for the SOT too. I'm thinking that the MetalCloak that I bought will require drilling.
Did you ever end up getting a rack? I have a SOT and have been using mopar crossbars to hold my rooftop box for longer family trips and the noise is deafening. I’m hoping a dedicated rack system will be quieter.

Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler
For those that might be interested, we are within a few weeks of rolling out our 4XE and 392 Rack systems. We're not setup to do pre-orders, but once they are released, we will keep stock on these systems so shipping will only be a few weeks out. Prices are scheduled to be similar to our standard JL rack systems. Follow us on the social channels for official release dates. thanks!

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Did you ever end up getting a rack? I have a SOT and have been using mopar crossbars to hold my rooftop box for longer family trips and the noise is deafening. I’m hoping a dedicated rack system will be quieter.
Yes, it works great. Just high enough for the SOT to clear it.

Is it noisy? Yes, but I don't think that I'd call it deafening.

Initially it whistled loudly where the beams mount to the bar above the windshield. I filled in the forward-facing open seams with Sugru (https://a.co/d/6Rm1AFq). That had no impact at all. Then I filled-in the backside and that got rid of that resolved it. Still noisy, but no whistling.

nismo1013

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 392 AEV370
Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 8EB39E54-7880-4223-9430-EF35BB06984F

Apologies if this was already discussed, but can someone help me ID this rack?

Last edited:

Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler

crux360a

First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Towing and auto repair
We loved our Exposed racks when we had our jeep tent on my JK.. not having to drill into the jeep at all is what sold us, and the fact that it's easy on and easy off for summer/winter time.

Sponsored

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon ecoDiesel
I don't think it's a GOBI... at least it doesn't look like it to me. Look at the differences around the rear glass and how they contour the hardtop differently. Thoughts?
Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) Comparison
I dont think thats a gobi either. I would like to know what rack that is though, but its possible its something custom. I like how it looks tighter to the body of the jeep

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I dont think thats a gobi either. I would like to know what rack that is though, but its possible its something custom. I like how it looks tighter to the body of the jeep
I'm not sure that I'd want it to hug the Jeep like that. I'm thinking that it would need spacers to keep it from banging into it. That's the issue with the Gobi's rear bars and how they can bang up your Jeep.
Sponsored