Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Hi all,
Wanted to let anyone who may be interested know that I’m selling my LOD sliding rack. Post is in the for sale section and I’m located in CT.
Thanks!
Just dropped the price on this. Cleaning out the garage this week and would be great to find it a good home.
Sponsored

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Smittybilt SRC Defender exoskeleton rack appears to be out for 4D (once again, 2D are out in the cold). I've seen it as low as $540. Tempting to get one and see if I could shorten it to fit a 2D.
called extreme terrain and they sold me a barricade which is almost identical to the smittybilt. If they had sent me all the parts I'd show the differences but the only sent the straight sections. Which hint that the 4 door indeed could be cut to suit the 2 door.

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
called extreme terrain and they sold me a barricade which is almost identical to the smittybilt. If they had sent me all the parts I'd show the differences but the only sent the straight sections. Which hint that the 4 door indeed could be cut to suit the 2 door.
These are photos of the barricade hd 2 door roof rack parts. It's hard to verify if the top would open without the a or c pillar mounts. If you attempt to order it you will want to make a note that it is likely a two box kit.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-jeep-wrangler-hd-roof-rack-j134250-jl.html.
I've ordered a 4 door smittybilt to cut down based on the known bumper mounts where the barricade 4door install shows spacing the hardtop up the thickness of the corner brackets.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) PXL_20210803_122907306

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) PXL_20210802_130455137

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) PXL_20210803_122747296

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) PXL_20210803_122545260

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
These are photos of the barricade hd 2 door roof rack parts. It's hard to verify if the top would open without the a or c pillar mounts. If you attempt to order it you will want to make a note that it is likely a two box kit.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-jeep-wrangler-hd-roof-rack-j134250-jl.html.
I've ordered a 4 door smittybilt to cut down based on the known bumper mounts where the barricade 4door install shows spacing the hardtop up the thickness of the corner brackets.

It sounds like the barricade rack installs the same way as the TrailFX one (maybe a rebrand?). The 2DR TrailFX rack is now listed for sale on their website, but it's hard top or naked only because it mounts to the corner of the tub where the soft top tailgate bar clips to.

I've caved and bought a used hardtop. I might cut the windows out, have my local plastics shop make a couple of copies out of acrylic that I can easily bolt in/remove (and probably store in the Jeep). It's not exactly top down, but it'll still be open air and compatible with a lot more rack options. That's a project for next spring though. By the time I'd get it done, I'd be into the rainy season this year.

Sponsored

OffRoad7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited
Hi, just installed the SB Defender SRC roof rack and I couldn’t figure out how to remove the part of the rear bumper where the foot of rear leg goes as shown in the picture. I have a 2018 JLUR

F58C4FE1-111A-4581-8090-B571A6895A01.jpeg

OffRoad7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited
Here is my review!

The Smittybilt Defender SRC 4-door Roof Rack is heavy duty, sturdy, and looks good. I have it installed with my hard top, and plan to switch to my soft top in the summer. I have had it on for several weeks, and I haven’t noticed anything negative other than a MPG lost or so. Wind noise is a little higher, but not really. It took me about a day to install by myself. The hardest part was prying up the trim pieces by the windshield wipers without breaking them. I was surprised that it had light mounts on the front supports bars. Not sure I will use them, but it supports running wires through the roof rack piping. I had to get a stubby antenna, as the stock one would have rubbed against the roof rack.

The roof rack adds about 4-5 inches, so it fits in my garage. It fits with my factory steel bumper, after I removed the plastic gap piece. It does not fit with a factory plastic bumper.

I had 2 issues. My first order, the driver side front support was not bent correctly. Extreme Terrain sent me another one (after I re-boxed and shipped back). The new one installed with no real problems. The second issue is that the instructions sent with the roof rack were different than the ones emailed to me when I contacted SmittyBilt to inquire about fitment with the factory steel bumper. The emailed instructions were way better, but they still weren’t crystal clear. Also, a few washers and what not were missing, but I had spares.

I am happy with this roof rack.

Update: I dropped off my Rubicon for service and looked at the new JLs. I think it may work with stock plastic bumpers for 21' wranglers. The 19' wrangler plastic bumpers appears to be one piece, where the 21' plastic bumpers appear to be in 3 pieces like my 19' steel bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) F58C4FE1-111A-4581-8090-B571A6895A01

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) F58C4FE1-111A-4581-8090-B571A6895A01

I just installed this rack this weekend and it feels solid! I just have to cut a portion of my rear bumper cover to give way to the rear legs. How do you mitigate the wind noise? It’s very loud when you go 45+ MPH and it’s not even windy outside? Thanks!

teddo

First Name
Teddo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Kargo Master Safari / ARS (Metalcloak) Pro Rack w/catwalk

Background
- First time Jeep owner — 2018 JLU Rubicon, purchased new
- wanted it for adventure after lease on EV expired 😅

I‘ve been procrastinating too long, and finally bit the bullet on a rack. My intent is to continue spending more time off-pavement, and to eventually build a full overlander that could sustain me on the road for weeks or months at a time.

What enticed me to get an ARS Pro Rack?
I was encouraged by the KMS history, and the standards, quality, and support of Metalcloak. I had looked at a number of other solutions with Full cage style racks by Gobi, to reinforced platforms by FrontRunner and Rhino, but none of them really fit the bill for one reason or another. Gobi took too long to deliver and I didn’t appreciate the body dents that people report. Front Runner racks were close, but I was hesitant to get a full flatbed rack when the ARS is just tubing an interestingly modular solution that can easily accommodate flat surfaces, load bars, and baskets.

Time to Install
This is not a one person job. You need at least 2 folks to do this comfortably. I did this over a long weekend with a buddy of mine, and It took us 2.5 days to complete. We were leisurely with our work, but even if you weren’t, I would estimate this job to take you about 6-8 hours. Some might say that they could do it in less. Those people would be both right AND wrong. Take your time. Drink some beer, watch some baseball, and be careful with power tools.

The biggest issues we encountered were a few missing pieces of hardware and a mis-welded rear right hoop. These were unfortunate issues

Pain Points
- Instructions are all PDF files, but not entirely complete — they often only show Passenger imagery while noting differences with the Driver side
- No clear inventory of hardware with the instructions. This would have made identifying the missing bolts and spacers easier in the beginning — think ikea furniture or lego set instructions
- Missing hardware was a super bummer and created far too many trips to Home Depot in a 2.5 period. Metalcloak totally made this right and were cordial and generous with their quick responses and replacements of both missing hardware and the mis-welded hoop piece
- 2” tubing needs different considerations when mounting items. Lots of brackets, cuffs, and u-bolts. Recommendation: Getting an RTT with T-slot siding will make for two types of storage option here. Best of both worlds
- Noticeable sag in my stock JLU suspension. I expected this, and fully plan to change my package once I’ve gotten further into my build so I can more accurately anticipate the weight

Overall I’m super happy with this purchase, the build experience, and it’s utility thus far. I can finally fully appreciate the value of the premium sound package as well. This thing definitely leaves you with a new appreciation for wind noise. I’m impressed with the overall strength. The build quality is impressive, and the 1/4” frame reinforcements used under the hood cowling, and the back bumper frame left me really confident in the total structure. I got the catwalk and hinge steps to round out the kit, and they’re easily the most fun and the most frustrating piece of the whole. The catwalk makes me realize how limiting not having access to the front portion of a rack can be. You just “make due” if you don’t have it, and you Likely don’t even notice. The hinge steps were a PITA to install because Jeep is too damn good at tightening those things to weight, and then painting over them with reckless abandon. Those steps sure are nice to stand on though.

The welds are very clean. The powder coating of the whole package is superb, and when in need, Metalcloak‘s support doesn’t disappoint.

Shipping Time
6 week from time of order to time of delivery by FedEx Freight. The mess of boxes came it at over 220 pounds In total.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) D67CB05C-EFE9-4D35-912B-AD87201B334C
Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 25BA4E13-2BE1-400B-8483-385A34742636
Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 3EFEC6FF-7F55-4BB0-B558-01D975F86FA4

Last edited:

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 3EFEC6FF-7F55-4BB0-B558-01D975F86FA4

Does this new Barricade HD roof rack install under the rear hardtop or under the bumper? Usually they install under the rear bumper but on Extreme Terrain it looks like these new racks install under the rear hard top. Can you confirm or show pictures?

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So unfortunately they never found the remainder of the kit so I can't confirm. It looked like it was going to be an under bumper rack. It's since been discontinued.

Sponsored

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Another vote for the Frontrunner. They sell a $400+ stainless table that fits under the rack. $600 or so with the mount. That is a huge turnoff for most of course...

...until you realize a 6' folding table fits under there as well.

love this rack
Great set up. Did you have to relocate your xm satellite receiver Given the rack covers it?

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Did you have to relocate your xm satellite receiver Given the rack covers it?
I can’t answer for @Thinman and his setup, but I did relocate my XM antenna as shown in the pics below. I used this mirror mount from Tram, mounted to the back of my ARB Awning. It places the business end of the antenna just barely above the height of my roof top tent. Worked flawlessly in two cross-country trips last year.

Available on Amazon here: Tram 7743 XM Antennas

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) DCC7EB84-2C4D-4B62-9F92-2AD0FC090D6F

The antenna on the driver’s side is the XM antenna from Tram, and the one on the passenger’s side is a cellular booster antenna from Weboost:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 8F5DA18F-E14A-477F-B508-789831ADE895

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 79CAD0DD-A162-41CF-83A9-CDEC2BE065A8

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
I can’t answer for @Thinman and his setup, but I did relocate my XM antenna as shown in the pics below. I used this mirror mount from Tram, mounted to the back of my ARB Awning. It places the business end of the antenna just barely above the height of my roof top tent. Worked flawlessly in two cross-country trips last year.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 79CAD0DD-A162-41CF-83A9-CDEC2BE065A8

The antenna on the driver’s side is the XM antenna from Tram, and the one on the passenger’s side is a cellular booster antenna from Weboost:

Thank for this. Nice work.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing

Where did you run the wires?
Did you drill through the hard top?
Is the connector plug on the Tram the same as the OEM?

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Where did you run the wires?
Did you drill through the hard top?
Is the connector plug on the Tram the same as the OEM?
1. I installed Kilmat sound deadening, and a Coverking headliner, so the wiring runs under that carpet-like headliner. I then ran it down the B-pillar and peeled the OEM antenna wire from the top of the soundbar back to the B-pillar - so that the connection takes place right where that little piece of plastic pops off by hand on the B-pillar for easy future access. I’ll attach a pic or two:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) CA97007F-C680-43CD-ABB8-4925DEAEC0FF

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 28EC6834-02F6-479E-82D6-24A18D255A2C

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) D752EEE9-A5FC-45CB-8E63-4C93B156BDFD

2. Oh yes, many drilled holes. I think it was 10 or 12 holes for the Rhino Rack backbone and pioneer platform, then a few more holes for each of the two Scanstrut Horizontal cable seals. See pic and link below. I probably have close to 20 holes in the roof now. No leaks yet!

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) ED213305-8523-452C-85A8-B39938B5ED9A

Here’s the Amazon Link: Scanstrut Horizontal Cable Seal

3. No. I think the Tram plug is called “SMB” (I think?). I believe the adapter was an SMB to Fakra (OEM). It might have been this one:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 9C17BDEE-AE38-4054-9617-4BA1B9CA6FFF

Amazon Link (I’m not 100% certain this was the one. Please be sure to check your connectors first): Fakra Curry Female to SMB Male
Sponsored

Last edited: