Sponsored

The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

eman20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Sorry for the delay...

TL;DR - It does work, with minimal modification and few additional parts.

Here's what comes in the box...

IMG_20180914_120330.jpg
IMG_20180914_120057.jpg
IMG_20180914_120116.jpg
IMG_20180914_120126.jpg

As you can see in the above pic, there is a lock, but it's 'key' is just a generic security-type torx bit. Personally I prefer this because if I lose it, I don't have to back through FR to get a new one. But they also send you four of the things, so...

Right out of the box I had an issue with the delivered assembly. One of the little machine screws bolting the latch to the bracket was all messed up. Nut cross-threaded, bolt head stripped out, not tightened down.

IMG_20180914_112825.jpg
IMG_20180914_112831.jpg
IMG_20180914_112916.jpg

So, after a call an email to FR to file a warranty claim, and an hour trying to get the thing out of there due to limited space for access, I ran to the local hardware store to pick up a new one.

On to the stuff you all care about... Here's how the brackets line up on the Pioneer Platform. No bueno going from one slat to the next, side to side. As previously mentioned, the FR slat spacing is shorter than the RR slat spacing.

IMG_20180914_121053.jpg
IMG_20180914_121105.jpg

I didn't like the idea of drilling through the Pioneer Platform. In my case the rails on my RTT lined up almost perfectly with the side-to-side spacing on the platform rails, so I decided to run the brackets in line with the rails. Unlike the FR rack, the pioneer platform has side-to-side supports underneath the front-to-back rails, so I was able to place the brackets inline with the rails, and over the side-to-side supports, which allows for more even weight distribution.

IMG_20180914_121119.jpg

However, the hardware that comes with the FR kit won't work since the rail channels are designed differently than FR. So, I found some capture nuts like Rhino Rack uses at McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/3259T614). This specific part number is the same thread pitch as the FR bolts. But the FR bolts that come with the kit are too long to use with the Pioneer Platform. So you've either gotta cut the bolts, or get shorter ones. Luckily I had some shorter FR bolts leftover from when I had the FR rack on my JK. Here's some additional pics of the hardware (in metric since the RR and FR stuff is in metric). NOTE: I was unable to find these locally at any parts place, despite them being really commonly used in construction. This is because the FR bolts are metric, thus requiring metric thread pitch channel nuts. The american construction industry obviously uses SAE stuff. So, if you scrapped all the FR hardware that comes with the kit, and used SAE stuff instead, you can find all this stuff at your local Lowes, Home Depot, Locke Supply, Grainger Supply, Fastenal, etc, etc.

IMG_20180915_152517.jpg
IMG_20180915_153123.jpg
IMG_20180915_153336.jpg
IMG_20180915_153458.jpg

Here's the brackets on the rack...

IMG_20180915_163212.jpg

As for the RTT rails, this was pretty straightforward. The FR kit comes with 3 different size mounting plates for the tent-side feet. You test fit and pick whichever size best fits your tent rails. Each size is notched to help keep track of them and keep the sizes together.

IMG_20180914_162922.jpg
IMG_20180914_162944.jpg

I've got a CVT tent, and I ended up using the middle sized set.

IMG_20180914_162833.jpg

I measured and positioned my tent feet precisely evenly spaced on the tent rails, then measured and positioned the rack brackets as close as I could get them. Then, once the tent was on the rack and the feet were in the brackets, I fiddled with the bracket positions (using a dead-blow) to get proper tension on all four latches.

I've been driving on paved and graded dirt road with the tent up there for about 5 days now, and have had no rattles or movement on brackets. They're solid. I do get a little whistle while driving, but I can only hear it if it's otherwise dead quiet in the cab. No significant change to handling (was really surprised about this). Gas mileage dropped about 1 mpg.

IMG_20180916_125540.jpg
IMG_20180916_125551.jpg
Thanks for the detailed post. I’m wondering why your tent is not centered on your rack. Was this by choice or because of how the FR mount lined up with the Rhino rack channels ? Which meant you you had to offset to make it work.
Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed post. I’m wondering why your tent is not centered on your rack. Was this by choice or because of how the FR mount lined up with the Rhino rack channels ? Which meant you you had to offset to make it work.
Nope that was by choice. I had two reasons there, one was to help offset the naturally 'passenger heavy' stance or lean of the Jeep to help maintain an overall relatively even weight distribution, and the second was to leave as much available rack space for other stuff as possible since the rack is not full roof coverage and the tent was so big.

tourguide337

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Just saw this, thanks for the review. Can confirm that my '20 Sahara has a 3-piece rear plastic bumper.

From your photos, it seems like the A-pillar portion of the rack has enough clearance for the windshield to fold down, can you verify? Does that little stick-up cowl bracket get in the way going down to the hood? Haven't been able to find any reviews that state so.

Also, when you say that you can run wire through the tube, do you mean that there is a cut groove into the tube, making it not full circumference, (basically a channel tube) or that there is a hole at each mount point to allow easy access to fish wires?

Please post if you end up mounting on any of those hard points!

So far, it seems that only Front Runner explicitly states that their cage/rack will still allow the windshield to fold down. I've currently many, many, additional pounds of photo gear, anxiously awaiting a good way to both carry them, plus lots of extra junk, and still allow for catching bugs in teeth. (The dog and cameras love it)
Yes, the windshield should be able to fold down without a problem. I haven’t done it, but it looks like it would work.

As for wiring, there are holes in the tubes to fish wires through. They provide rubber stoppers to plug the holes if not being used.

Moses212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Hey guys, Im between the EVO MFG Trail Roof Rack and the JCR short Roof Rack, I would like to read some of your thoughts and/or experiences with these 2, that would help me make a good choice.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.03.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.04.14 PM.png
What happened with Evo?
There are posts in other areas regarding the Evo and the the JCR short racks.
From what I've seen, the complaint about Evo is that it rusts. Evo they made an aluminum one which they discontinued. Now they sell the raw steel version which is heavy and you have to have it powder coated yourself (guess it will prevent people complaining about rust).
But it's such a great niche design - low profile and perfect for hauling a few 4x8 boards or surfboards a short distance. Different from JCR, in addition the side rail position they hide more connection points on the top and use a wider connector to the rail which looks more substantial.
Anyone see anything else super low profile out there?..

Sponsored

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
What happened with Evo?
There are posts in other areas regarding the Evo and the the JCR short racks.
From what I've seen, the complaint about Evo is that it rusts. Evo they made an aluminum one which they discontinued. Now they sell the raw steel version which is heavy and you have to have it powder coated yourself (guess it will prevent people complaining about rust).
But it's such a great niche design - low profile and perfect for hauling a few 4x8 boards or surfboards a short distance. Different from JCR, in addition the side rail position they hide more connection points on the top and use a wider connector to the rail which looks more substantial.
Anyone see anything else super low profile out there?..
The sleek and low profile design of the EVO is night. Other than that, the rando rust and low dynamic weight capabilities does not offset the price of it.

TangoRomeo7688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
Hi guys,

anybody out there who uses the DV8 Offroad Roof Rack on a JL 2 door model?

I wanted to go with the GOBI Stealth Rack first, but maaaaan.. that price though... 2800€ in Germany, which is about 3300 USD at the moment. That's crazy...

Plus: I just need the rack 3-4 weeks a year when we go on overland trips ( no heavy trails )

When we are out there travelling, we will let the freedom panels in place.. so why not to take a gutter mount rack, that is much more on the lower side of finances.

The only thing I cannot assume is: We will use a OZtent RV1.. no RTT. It is 160cm or 63" long when packed. Does anybody know the length of the DV8 rack?

Thanks for helping me out.

Kind regards,

Tobias

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi guys,

I wanted to go with the GOBI Stealth Rack first, but maaaaan.. that price though... 2800€ in Germany, which is about 3300 USD at the moment. That's crazy...

Plus: I just need the rack 3-4 weeks a year when we go on overland trips ( no heavy trails )

When we are out there travelling, we will let the freedom panels in place.. so why not to take a gutter mount rack, that is much more on the lower side of finances.

The only thing I cannot assume is: We will use a OZtent RV1.. no RTT. It is 160cm or 63" long when packed. Does anybody know the length of the DV8 rack?

Thanks for helping me out.

Kind regards,

Tobias
I dont think the gobi rack makes sense in most cases. It is adding a lot of weight to the jeep for what?... to carry more weight up top. waste of money imo. You should aim to carry less than 150lbs on the roof, you can carry more but it will have an impact raising COG and having so much weight up there isnt necessarily a good thing. Since you are going light on the camping, have you look on a system like exposed racks?.

TangoRomeo7688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the only pro point the GOBI would have to me:

I could use the car as a mobile hunting stand. Put some IR light in the AUX switches and your good to go. Lot of space Up there and stable enough

My problem is:

I neee those 63/64" of roof rack lenght to carry the oztent in top.

The weight that will be carried on top is in a 70-100lbs range max.

- tent
- toolbox
- second spare tire wegen going to iceland
- (Side) awning
- Lights

What other rack could you recommend for this use when it comes to reliability.

Kind regards

Tobias

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys,

Tobias
I have the full length DV8 rack and needed the interior dimensions for planning before it arrived, so I emailed their support team.

They didn't have the specs on paper but were nice enough to measure one for me. The full length interior is 80" L x 52" W x 2" H, in case it helps.

I reached them with this address, <[email protected]>

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yeah, the only pro point the GOBI would have to me:

I could use the car as a mobile hunting stand. Put some IR light in the AUX switches and your good to go. Lot of space Up there and stable enough

My problem is:

I neee those 63/64" of roof rack lenght to carry the oztent in top.

The weight that will be carried on top is in a 70-100lbs range max.

- tent
- toolbox
- second spare tire wegen going to iceland
- (Side) awning
- Lights

What other rack could you recommend for this use when it comes to reliability.

Kind regards

Tobias
Get 3 or 4 crossbars

TangoRomeo7688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the full length DV8 rack and needed the interior dimensions for planning before it arrived, so I emailed their support team.

They didn't have the specs on paper but were nice enough to measure one for me. The full length interior is 80" L x 52" W x 2" H, in case it helps.

I reached them with this address, <[email protected]>
Thanks for your answer.
I will measure the difference between 2 and 4 door and send them an e-mail.

Kind regards

Tobias

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Hi all,
Wanted to let anyone who may be interested know that I’m selling my LOD sliding rack. Post is in the for sale section and I’m located in CT.
Thanks!

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Hi all,
Wanted to let anyone who may be interested know that I’m selling my LOD sliding rack. Post is in the for sale section and I’m located in CT.
Thanks!
Ugh. That's what I'm looking for, but the shipping cost to TX would be painful lol

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
There’s always Uship! Not sure how I’d package it up though haha
Sponsored