The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
I was just going to ask the same question, because my Evo Mfg. that I'm highly disappointed in, is very low as well for being a gutter rack.
I found this video the guy shows it rest on the roof as well, not just gutters. So that answers that.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 3.34.17 PM.png
most gutter mounted racks ive seen have at least some portion mounted directly on top of the hardtop. Take the Garvin half rack for example. However, only the half rack with the chassis mounted bars is rated for a RTT.

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I finished the installation. Overall I’m pleased with the engineering and quality. I made one wrong assumption about the tracks. They aren’t the standard c-channel you find in Thule or Rhino Rack systems. All the tracks are sized to fit the head of an M8 bolt. This is a good choice for many components, such as platforms. Now I need to figure out whether to get new kayak saddles that clamp onto the Dee Zee bars, or adapt Thule or Rhino rack crossbars to the Dee Zee brackets. Either way, I like the brackets and sidebars as the setup reduces the torque on the rain gutters during braking or acceleration.

One other thing to note. I applied helicopter tape to the clamps where they would be in contact with the rain gutters.

0A47E25F-EAA7-4E79-BFDF-304F8F50D971.jpeg

E70658FD-AAA6-4AC8-8A00-7A7365A124C2.jpeg

ED90418C-A6F5-44D4-9D53-C3B7FB0F4511.jpeg

4B2B7B16-1D2D-4D56-88F2-33E96B664A2A.jpeg
Hi. I just ordered mine. Waiting to get here and install it. Have you seen options of how to put other stuff instead of the roof top tent? I have some ideas but what to see what people are doing.

Chanrith

First Name
Chanrith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport, Bright White, 17" Rubicon Wheels w/ 33" Tires and 2" Spacers, Red Katzkin Leather Seats w/ Heated Front/Back Seats, 5" iBoard aluminum running boards
Vehicle Showcase
I was just going to ask the same question, because my Evo Mfg. that I'm highly disappointed in, is very low as well for being a gutter rack.
I found this video the guy shows it rest on the roof as well, not just gutters. So that answers that.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 3.34.17 PM.png
If this is all it takes to up the load rating to double I'm not sure why the other manufacturers aren't doing the same. This looks like something you could fabricate onto the somewhat cheaper rail options available. I'm looking for a good roof rack option for a rooftop tent and a little on the fence with this one though it looks really clean.

Sponsored

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
If this is all it takes to up the load rating to double I'm not sure why the other manufacturers aren't doing the same. This looks like something you could fabricate onto the somewhat cheaper rail options available. I'm looking for a good roof rack option for a rooftop tent and a little on the fence with this one though it looks really clean.
Exactly, I wish others would jump on as well. One easy fix I've thought of would be to slide small slits of thick foam pads (like what gardeners use) under the horizontal slats.

quere66

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hey guys, Im between the EVO MFG Trail Roof Rack and the JCR short Roof Rack, I would like to read some of your thoughts and/or experiences with these 2, that would help me make a good choice.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.03.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.04.14 PM.png

eder214

First Name
Eder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, Im between the EVO MFG Trail Roof Rack and the JCR short Roof Rack, I would like to read some of your thoughts and/or experiences with these 2, that would help me make a good choice.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.04.14 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.04.14 PM
When I first saw the EVO roof rack it was on my top of the list to purchase. As time past I was looking into possibly buying a backbone or Maximus-3 roof rack for the added support, but both of them are pricy. Then I ran into JCR short roof rack. It offer the best of both EVO and Backbone for me. It has the low profile and shortness that I was looking for and I could later buy additional support that mounts similar to the backbone to increase load rating. One of the other big selling point is the price. The only thing that gave me hesitation was the lack of reviews, but for the price I decided to give it a try and place my order. Plus I have not heard any bad reviews on any of the products they have made for the JL so far only positive. This was another reason that allow me to take a chance.

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I'd go with price vs load capability. JCR appears cheaper, which is nice. But pay attention to what they say is their dynamic/static load ratings.
The downfall with gutter mounted racks are they are rated for much less than others, compared to exoskeleton or drill into roof racks.

Look into Dee Zee, they seem like to be the new underdog coming out.

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The Jcr rack has moved to the top of my list for a few reasons, despite a lack of reviews here. Its aluminum so its lighter weight than the evo. Price is good. And several people here who have the evo have commented that it rusts quickly which is another win for aluminum. The ability to add extra support for more weight capacity down the road has its appeal also. I dont need a lot of weight capacity as i usually only run camp chairs, shovel, awning, and recovery boards on the rack.

Sponsored

quere66

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
The Jcr rack has moved to the top of my list for a few reasons, despite a lack of reviews here. Its aluminum so its lighter weight than the evo. Price is good. And several people here who have the evo have commented that it rusts quickly which is another win for aluminum. The ability to add extra support for more weight capacity down the road has its appeal also. I dont need a lot of weight capacity as i usually only run camp chairs, shovel, awning, and recovery boards on the rack.
Thanks guys, Im still looking at them, and hey, you just said something REALLY important that I didnt think about before, the material, I noticed that the JCR was lighter than the EVO but I didnt notice the material, good point about the rusting part, I would be very piss off if I spend almost $1K and see it rusting. My Jeep is not modified at all, I just added LoD rocksliders and looking for more storage space for when I go camping.

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks guys, Im still looking at them, and hey, you just said something REALLY important that I didnt think about before, the material, I noticed that the JCR was lighter than the EVO but I didnt notice the material, good point about the rusting part, I would be very piss off if I spend almost $1K and see it rusting. My Jeep is not modified at all, I just added LoD rocksliders and looking for more storage space for when I go camping.
Rust is DEFINITELY an issue for me. Wisconsin salty winters are hard on stuff.

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
When I first saw the EVO roof rack it was on my top of the list to purchase. As time past I was looking into possibly buying a backbone or Maximus-3 roof rack for the added support, but both of them are pricy. Then I ran into JCR short roof rack. It offer the best of both EVO and Backbone for me. It has the low profile and shortness that I was looking for and I could later buy additional support that mounts similar to the backbone to increase load rating. One of the other big selling point is the price. The only thing that gave me hesitation was the lack of reviews, but for the price I decided to give it a try and place my order. Plus I have not heard any bad reviews on any of the products they have made for the JL so far only positive. This was another reason that allow me to take a chance.
Following for review on the JCR :D

RedRaiderSATX

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Banker
I'm close to ordering it. I just want to make sure it has all the accessory options for mounts/awnings, etc. I thought about the Maximus, but I really don't want to drill into my top and the price tag...

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
I'm close to ordering it. I just want to make sure it has all the accessory options for mounts/awnings, etc. I thought about the Maximus, but I really don't want to drill into my top and the price tag...
I was in the same boat. I should've gone that route. Evo Mfg. gutter mount was NOT the way to go. Just my opinion for you.
Sponsored