Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler
Ahh, gotcha. Give us a call on Monday and we can talk about a potential return of those load bars. Jon can discuss the options. 916-760-4575
Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Anyone know of anyone that sells the EVO rack as a painted/coated product and not bare metal?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ahh, gotcha. Give us a call on Monday and we can talk about a potential return of those load bars. Jon can discuss the options. 916-760-4575
I've left a couple messages to try to return the load bars, but no response yet.

Edit: they just responded. Starting the process.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone know of a solid panel for a roof rack? I would like to attach a solid panel, aluminum painted black, carbon fiber, etc. to the Mopar roof rack. I found the one in the picture below but it is for remote control model vehicles. DIY or repurposing ideas appreciated as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) DE484B93-B514-489E-988D-81932FF2D25B

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I can’t answer for @Thinman and his setup, but I did relocate my XM antenna as shown in the pics below. I used this mirror mount from Tram, mounted to the back of my ARB Awning. It places the business end of the antenna just barely above the height of my roof top tent. Worked flawlessly in two cross-country trips last year.

Available on Amazon here: Tram 7743 XM Antennas

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) DE484B93-B514-489E-988D-81932FF2D25B

The antenna on the driver’s side is the XM antenna from Tram, and the one on the passenger’s side is a cellular booster antenna from Weboost:

I had a 2018 JLU which I sold. At the time I was using the pioneer platform (60x54) & Maximus-s bracket Kit. With that said, I just picked up a Sahara 4xE yesterday, and want a low profile rack and yours look like a good fit.
Here is what I have in mind:
A easy to open and close that large enough to fit 3 people, the combine weight would be around 550 lbs.
I would still need some rack room to setup
- a Rhino Batwings
- a Swing out shower room

Would you please tell me more about your setup?

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@laueddy my roof rack/and roof top tent setup is as follows:

Rhino Rack Backbone system
Rhino Rack RCL low profile feet
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform 72”x56”
iKamper Skycamp (original version is no longer available, but you can still get version 2.0 or 3.0, and they are about the same size/specs).

The low profile rack works great. I found gas mileage dropped by roughly 1 mpg for adding the roof rack, and another 1 mpg for adding the RTT onto the rack.

I did find the RTT caused quite a bit of whistling noise, so I added the spoiler, and that resolved that issue.

You should have no problems adding awning/shower room. On my setup, the RTT rails sit on top of the pioneer platform, but the rails sit in between the wide planks that run from front to back of the vehicle. So, it allows the tent to drop down a bit for a more low-profile look. The RTT rails actually rest on the cross-bars that run from one side of the vehicle to the other. But even with that low profile setup, I was still able to mount an awning on the back with a couple of antennas.

You mention that you “still need some rack room to mount…”. In my case, the footprint of the RTT is actually bigger than the platform. But I can still mount awning brackets on any of the four sides, since there are low profile brackets that would mount under the RTT before the tent is mounted.

You asked about weight. If I recall correctly, the Rhino Rack Backbone setup can support 264 pounds of “dynamic weight” for on-road driving. My RTT is about 160 pounds, and the pioneer platform itself is about 64 pounds. So I’m at about 224 pounds - before I added my awning, awning brackets, antennas, and any bedding that I leave in the tent. I’d guess I’m very close to the 264 pound dynamic weight rating for my system when I add everything up.

As for “static weight”, once the vehicle is parked, I believe my system is rated for about 800 pounds with the backbone system on my 4xe. I think it was 900 pounds on my old JL with the Maximus brackets that mounted straight to the roll bar. So, hypothetically, if your RTT, platform, awnings, and bedding totaled 300 pounds, you’d still have another 500 pounds to work with for your 3 people.

I absolutely love the system. Love the iKamper Skycamp. Enormous king-sized sleeping area when the floor folds out. But it’s pricey. Looks like there are now some great options at lower price points for you that still provide enough room for 3 to sleep comfortably.

Good luck!

Last edited:

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
@laueddy my roof rack/and roof top tent setup is as follows:

Rhino Rack Backbone system
Rhino Rack RCL low profile feet
Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform 72”x56”
iKamper Skycamp (original version is no longer available, but you can still get version 2.0 or 3.0, and they are about the same size/specs).

The low profile rack works great. I found gas mileage dropped by roughly 1 mpg for adding the roof rack, and another 1 mpg for adding the RTT onto the rack.

I did find the RTT caused quite a bit of whistling noise, so I added the spoiler, and that resolved that issue.

You should have no problems adding awning/shower room. On my setup, the RTT rails sit on top of the pioneer platform, but the rails sit in between the wide planks that run from front to back of the vehicle. So, it allows the tent to drop down a bit for a more low-profile look. The RTT rails actually rest on the cross-bars that run from one side of the vehicle to the other. But even with that low profile setup, I was still able to mount an awning on the back with a couple of antennas.

You mention that you “still need some rack room to mount…”. In my case, the footprint of the RTT is actually bigger than the platform. But I can still mount awning brackets on any of the four sides, since there are low profile brackets that would mount under the RTT before the tent is mounted.

You asked about weight. If I recall correctly, the Rhino Rack Backbone setup can support 264 pounds of “dynamic weight” for on-road driving. My RTT is about 160 pounds, and the pioneer platform itself is about 64 pounds. So I’m at about 224 pounds - before I added my awning, awning brackets, antennas, and any bedding that I leave in the tent. I’d guess I’m very close to the 264 pound dynamic weight rating for my system when I add everything up.

As for “static weight”, once the vehicle is parked, I believe my system is rated for about 800 pounds with the backbone system on my 4xe. I think it was 900 pounds on my old JL with the Maximus brackets that mounted straight to the roll bar. So, hypothetically, if your RTT, platform, awnings, and bedding totaled 300 pounds, you’d still have another 500 pounds to work with for your 3 people.

I absolutely love the system. Love the iKamper Skycamp. Enormous king-sized sleeping area when the floor folds out. But it’s pricey. Looks like there are now some great options at lower price points for you that still provide enough room for 3 to sleep comfortably.

Good luck!
Thank you Sir. This is very informative, and it's going to help me a lot.

mroback23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021
Been eyeing on a Front Runner Slimline II and Eezi-Awn K9, which one is the best price-performance ratio of these two?

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hello All. Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am selling Dee Zee Roof Rack for Wrangle JLU. It is used and in great condition. Used it with a Roof Top Tent. No drilling required.
It comes with the front and the back sections.

Front and Rear are $750 on the site. Selling them for $550
Solid Basket is $226. Selling it for $180

https://www.deezee.com/product/roof-rack/

See website for details and more info.
I am in Torrance, CA.

DM for more photos and more info.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) PXL_20220703_015158138.MP

Sponsored

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
And just to be added to the list. Garvin Industries is making their Roof Rack for the 4xe. I haven't seen in on their site jet so give them a call.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) dji_export_1656688675088

#Garvin #RoofRack #4xE

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And just to be added to the list. Garvin Industries is making their Roof Rack for the 4xe. I haven't seen in on their site jet so give them a call.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) dji_export_1656688675088

#Garvin #RoofRack #4xE
Their design looks a lot like MetalCloak's.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I think they all look the same. This is the best option I found for me for my 4XE. Very limited options for a non-drill and 4XE
Very few for the SOT too. I'm thinking that the MetalCloak that I bought will require drilling.

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Very few for the SOT too. I'm thinking that the MetalCloak that I bought will require drilling.
@Ratbert Is your Jeep a 4xe with SOT? Because the people at Garvin told me they just installed a roof rack for a 4xe with SOT recently.
Sponsored