First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
We will be coming out with our Roof rack in the second quarter (most likely) of 2021. It will feature the ability to work hand in hand with our Pak Rax system. We are shooting to make this roof rack a modular, low profile rack made of high-quality American made pride.

We are shooting to make a bolt-on/ clamp-on style rack that will be for light-duty adventures and weights. We are also looking to design a roof rack with high weight capacity for your heavy-duty or long trip Overlanders. We are most likely going to be designing these 2 different types to better accommodate our audience so that they can choose the roof rack that is best for them. We will also come out with an accessory that can help you transfer your light duty rack to the heavy-duty style by changing up the mounting style.

See you all on the trail!

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
We will be coming out with our Roof rack in the second quarter (most likely) of 2021. It will feature the ability to work hand in hand with our Pak Rax system. We are shooting to make this roof rack a modular, low profile rack made of high-quality American made pride.

We are shooting to make a bolt-on/ clamp-on style rack that will be for light-duty adventures and weights. We are also looking to design a roof rack with high weight capacity for your heavy-duty or long trip Overlanders. We are most likely going to be designing these 2 different types to better accommodate our audience so that they can choose the roof rack that is best for them. We will also come out with an accessory that can help you transfer your light duty rack to the heavy-duty style by changing up the mounting style.

See you all on the trail!
This is very good news! Do you have any design specifics you can share? Speaking for the JLU version, will this be a half-length, 3/4 length, or full cab length rack? How low of a profile are you targeting? Will it be a fully integrated rack system (such as Expedition One or JCR) or a rail/mount and separate platform system (such as Rhino Rack)?

Personally, I love the style of a low profile platform system such as the Rhino Rack on Maximus-3 brackets, but being made in China (the Rhino Rack, not the Maximus-3 bracketry) makes it a non-starter for me and I’d really prefer the option for a full length platform. I also really like the style design of Expedition One and JCR, but Expedition One doesn’t make a drill-through design and JCRs unwillingness to publish load ratings for their drill-through design coupled with the reports on this forum about poor quality parts and incomplete shipments makes me wary of ordering a rack from them. I would jump at the idea of a new American-made full length low profile drill-through rack to hit the market that can be used both for RTT’s and long travel car camping as well as strapping lumber and kayaks and skis and wheelbarrows and my cousin Eddie and the neighbors screaming kids and anything else I can think to strap to the top of this thing if the mood strikes me.

Count one anxiously awaiting details!

mariooog

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
*** We will all update this main post with links as JL roof rack aftermarket options become available ***

If you see any JL specific rack/basket setups available, please post them here. Community members will keep the main post updated as posts are made.

Also, if you know of an estimated release date from a specific roof rack company, post it up.

Thanks

Available Now
- EVO Rack
- Gobi Stealth Rack
- KC KC HiLiTES KC M-RACKS
- Maximus 3 Short
- Maximus 3 Long
- Mopar Rails
- Rhino Rack Rails
- Rhino Rack Backbone / Pioneer
- Expedition One Mule Ultra Rack
- Front Runner Extreme (long)
- Front Runner Extreme Half (short)
- LOD Off Road Sliding Rack
- Garvin Wilderness

Confirmed / Not Yet Released
- Ace Engineering (No date given)
- Body Armor 4x4 (July 2018)
- Fab Fours (Will not be making a JL rack)
- JCR Offroad (No date given)
- Lange Originals (No date given)
- LOD Offroad (Spring 2018)
- MBRP (No date given)
- Smittybilt (No date given)
- Surco Safari (Spring/Summer 2018)
- Teraflex (No date given)
- Trail FX (working version comparable to their JK rack ... no date given)
- Warrior Products (Spring 2018)

Have not responded to emails
- ARB
- Kargo Master Safari

- Off Camber Productions
- Olympic 4x4
- VPR4x4
Any updates as of December on the release dates?

Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Another vote for the Frontrunner. They sell a $400+ stainless table that fits under the rack. $600 or so with the mount. That is a huge turnoff for most of course...

...until you realize a 6' folding table fits under there as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 1608930953451

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 1608930967585

love this rack

tourguide337

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Keep us posted
With pics :)
Here is my review!

The Smittybilt Defender SRC 4-door Roof Rack is heavy duty, sturdy, and looks good. I have it installed with my hard top, and plan to switch to my soft top in the summer. I have had it on for several weeks, and I haven’t noticed anything negative other than a MPG lost or so. Wind noise is a little higher, but not really. It took me about a day to install by myself. The hardest part was prying up the trim pieces by the windshield wipers without breaking them. I was surprised that it had light mounts on the front supports bars. Not sure I will use them, but it supports running wires through the roof rack piping. I had to get a stubby antenna, as the stock one would have rubbed against the roof rack.

The roof rack adds about 4-5 inches, so it fits in my garage. It fits with my factory steel bumper, after I removed the plastic gap piece. It does not fit with a factory plastic bumper.

I had 2 issues. My first order, the driver side front support was not bent correctly. Extreme Terrain sent me another one (after I re-boxed and shipped back). The new one installed with no real problems. The second issue is that the instructions sent with the roof rack were different than the ones emailed to me when I contacted SmittyBilt to inquire about fitment with the factory steel bumper. The emailed instructions were way better, but they still weren’t crystal clear. Also, a few washers and what not were missing, but I had spares.

I am happy with this roof rack.

Update: I dropped off my Rubicon for service and looked at the new JLs. I think it may work with stock plastic bumpers for 21' wranglers. The 19' wrangler plastic bumpers appears to be one piece, where the 21' plastic bumpers appear to be in 3 pieces like my 19' steel bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20201226_160942

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20201226_161000

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20201226_161113

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 20201226_161219

Last edited:

IrnBear

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Expedition, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Here is my review!

The Smittybilt Defender SRC 4-door Roof Rack is heavy duty, sturdy, and looks good. I have it installed with my hard top, and plan to switch to my soft top in the summer. I have had it on for several weeks, and I haven’t noticed anything negative other than a MPG lost or so. Wind noise is a little higher, but not really. It took me about a day to install by myself. The hardest part was prying up the trim pieces by the windshield wipers without breaking them. I was surprised that it had light mounts on the front supports bars. Not sure I will use them, but it supports running wires through the roof rack piping. I had to get a stubby antenna, as the stock one would have rubbed against the roof rack.

The roof rack adds about 4-5 inches, so it fits in my garage. It fits with my factory steel bumper, after I removed the plastic gap piece. It does not fit with a factory plastic bumper.

I had 2 issues. My first order, the driver side front support was not bent correctly. Extreme Terrain sent me another one (after I re-boxed and shipped back). The new one installed with no real problems. The second issue is that the instructions sent with the roof rack were different than the ones emailed to me when I contacted SmittyBilt to inquire about fitment with the factory steel bumper. The emailed instructions were way better, but they still weren’t crystal clear. Also, a few washers and what not were missing, but I had spares.

Update: I dropped off my Rubicon for service and looked at the new JLs. I think it may work with stock plastic bumpers for 21' wranglers. The 19' wrangler plastic bumpers appears to be one piece, where the 21' plastic bumpers appear to be in 3 pieces like my 19' steel bumper.

Sweet, thank you for the update and pics...

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Does anyone have an ARB RTT and/or ARB awning mounted on the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform? I installed the rack two weeks ago and interested to see how ARB tents/awnings are mounted and bolted on the rack (or other soft shell). Pictures from underneath the rack would help. Thanks!

Sponsored

stylin7

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 93 Mazda RX-7, 2007 Subaru Impreza
Here is my review!

How difficult is it to remove the freedom panels with the rack installed?

tourguide337

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How difficult is it to remove the freedom panels with the rack installed?
It is winter now, so I haven't taken them off. My guess is it won't be a problem. I have the cross bars installed, so they don't interfere with removing the freedom panels.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Here is my review!

Just saw this, thanks for the review. Can confirm that my '20 Sahara has a 3-piece rear plastic bumper.

From your photos, it seems like the A-pillar portion of the rack has enough clearance for the windshield to fold down, can you verify? Does that little stick-up cowl bracket get in the way going down to the hood? Haven't been able to find any reviews that state so.

Also, when you say that you can run wire through the tube, do you mean that there is a cut groove into the tube, making it not full circumference, (basically a channel tube) or that there is a hole at each mount point to allow easy access to fish wires?

Please post if you end up mounting on any of those hard points!

So far, it seems that only Front Runner explicitly states that their cage/rack will still allow the windshield to fold down. I've currently many, many, additional pounds of photo gear, anxiously awaiting a good way to both carry them, plus lots of extra junk, and still allow for catching bugs in teeth. (The dog and cameras love it)

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I've been running the Backbone System with 3 HD Crossbars for a while now, but have been thinking of going to the Pioneer Platform setup. I like the HD Crossbars as they allow me to use the Sunrider, but they are noisy and finding brackets can be challenging (I usually make my own).

Question: Does anyone know if the 60"x56" Pioneer Platform will work with the JLU Backbone System? The 72" is a bit more than I need and I'm sure it would prevent the use of the Sunrider up front. :(

I did contact their support, and they suggested finding a dealer that could fit test one or go with the normal 72"x56" model. I've called around and looked on Rhino Racks website for my area, but sadly no dealers within 150 miles (besides Nissan Dealerships).

Note: I searched this thread, and others, for input on this already but came up empty handed, so apologies if this was answered already in a previous post.
Sponsored