Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yeah, I’m not a fair weather boater. I’ll iSUP or kayak in the rain, so highway driving with the top down isn’t what I’m looking for.

I’ve looked at a Gobi but NOWHERE tells me whether it’s compatible with a Sunrider OR if it’s easy to remove. I won’t order one until I know it will work, but which one will work??

I honestly don’t understand why this has been such a challenge to find an answer for!! This MUST exist... I’ve asked my local Jeep groups but they all drive JK’s (or older) and use racks that aren’t compatible with the Sunrider (side bars too far in). And none of them are kayakers, and the ones that are all have gutter mounted crossbars (like mine). And of course I’m the only one with a Sunrider...

I started a thread here too but got no replies.
It is tricky, because you would need an exoskeleton type rack that you can remove. I am sure I've seen it before ,very expensive and I don't know how easy to remove is. Then to switch soft-top to hardtop must be a pain.

I think the best option for you is a nice rack on the hardtop and something you can easily pop when using the softop. I have a 13 ft ocean kayak I take with me to the beach all the time. I used to have a softop and used the hitchmount rack to carry the kayak. I know you don't want one, but honestly it is so practical and easy to use with a softop. It is built very well and takes less than a minute to put on and off. It also doesn't move around, at all. And the nice thing is that it also has regular crossbars so it functions like a regular roof rack.
Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I got these Rhino Rack Vortex SGs off of Craigslist for $180. They’re 98% good as new. I mounted my Thule and ready to see if we can fit all our stuff for (car) camping. I dig the setup so far.

BA91AC92-B435-4ED1-B946-CDB1506E9B93.jpeg
Hi Aaron. I'm curious about how well the box mounted on gutter rails has worked out for you. I am about to buy a JLU for the wife, and there will be some times that we simply need more space for gear.

We already have a Yakima Rocketbox and I was thinking of doing similar so we could easily remove it, but I would feel way more comfortable with a different rack setup that didn't rely on gutter mounts. I suspect it will be fine and I have seen others mounting significant loads with gutter mount rack rails on JLs, but I'd be grateful to hear your feedback, good or bad.

Thanks!

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
It is tricky, because you would need an exoskeleton type rack that you can remove. I am sure I've seen it before ,very expensive and I don't know how easy to remove is. Then to switch soft-top to hardtop must be a pain.

I think the best option for you is a nice rack on the hardtop and something you can easily pop when using the softop. I have a 13 ft ocean kayak I take with me to the beach all the time. I used to have a softop and used the hitchmount rack to carry the kayak. I know you don't want one, but honestly it is so practical and easy to use with a softop. It is built very well and takes less than a minute to put on and off. It also doesn't move around, at all. And the nice thing is that it also has regular crossbars so it functions like a regular roof rack.
Can you find me one in Canada? LOL (I’m not 100% against a hitch mount rack. I’m just not sure how much I trust them, AND I can’t find one in Canada.)

TreeHugger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if a Yakima Skybox will clamp on the Dee Zee roof rack? Those cross bars look a little thick.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I’ve looked at a Gobi but NOWHERE tells me whether it’s compatible with a Sunrider OR if it’s easy to remove. I won’t order one until I know it will work, but which one will work??
did you contact Gobi ? seems the best place to go rather than getting WAGs here.

Sponsored

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
did you contact Gobi ? seems the best place to go rather than getting WAGs here.
Not yet. I’m here looking for ideas or suggestions first from someone who owns both.

OT. WAG? I’m not sure I’m familiar with that term

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
TrailFX exoskeleton rack for JLU appears to be available now... The mounting instructions look like it won't work with the soft top though; it mounts to a bracket that bolts to the rear corners of the tub (where the rear side windows and tailgate bar clip into).

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Finally did my Front Runner rack. Overall very happy with it. It is rock solid. 86 lbs for a full size rack is great, plus it is distributed front/back, so that is a good thing too.

Instructions could have been a little better, but they were fine. Big downside is that there are no installation videos out there for it to lean on. Had to use what I could from some JK videos. I unfortunately was not able to contribute here as I do not have the patience for creating install videos.

Biggest pitfall was just not having a ton of confidence that I was lined up properly to drill the holes, but I was lucky to have a local shop that has done it lend some advice (thanks to Chirs @ Rack n' Roll in San Jose for the tips)

1598152405780.png

1598152416552.png

1598152424990.png

1598152487997.png

1598152497044.png

1598152507097.png

1598152515738.png

1598152523718.png

Was able to get my Pro6 mounted using the Front Runner mounting kit by removing one light. Didn't realize it came with two mounts. One hangs right at the middle of the platform and another that hangs below.

1598214534697.png

1598214542238.png

Wiring is super clean with this rack. Plenty of room in there for more wires too, not to mention the otherside that could be used as well

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 1598237201194

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 1598237209035

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 1598237219561

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 1598237229186

yaniv05

First Name
Yaniv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I decided to go with the DeeZee rack. Got it because I can adjust it and move the bars anyway I want. Instead of using them on the Freedom panels and the main roof, I put all bars in the main roof, kind of modular style.

I have the basket to put my boxes, a space for the surf board and I attached my awning to the side with L shape brackets

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) IMG_20200823_125756

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) IMG_20200823_125804

Sponsored

Amitfisher

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Hi, I’ve been doing reading here and watched probably 1,000 YouTubes but still lost on what should I buy, so appreciate the help. I’m looking for a large basket roof rack for camping gear (family if 5, so need the space). Don’t planning to use roof top tent. Ah, and I don’t want to do any drilling on the roof (that why I’m not going with Rhino backbone system), and want to be able to remove easily. I’m also not interested in the ones with full frame who connect to the front and back because I don’t like how they look. I don’t think I’m going to put a lot of wait so thinking the ones that are built on top of the roof gutters should be fine... ? but did not see many options. I was looking at Smittybilt Defender
https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittyb...-rack-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl-gladiator-jt
And Redrock
https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock4x4-jeep-wrangler-full-length-roof-rack-j130926-jl.html
However I didn’t see many comments on these...Also thought maybe to buy a Mopar cross bar and put a basket on top? Are there other brands I should look at? Is theRe Rhino setting on roof gutter that will work for me?

Any advice will help. Thank you!!!

oldmannewjeep

First Name
Malcolm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Hi, I’ve been doing reading here and watched probably 1,000 YouTubes but still lost on what should I buy, so appreciate the help. I’m looking for a large basket roof rack for camping gear (family if 5, so need the space). Don’t planning to use roof top tent. Ah, and I don’t want to do any drilling on the roof (that why I’m not going with Rhino backbone system), and want to be able to remove easily. I’m also not interested in the ones with full frame who connect to the front and back because I don’t like how they look. I don’t think I’m going to put a lot of wait so thinking the ones that are built on top of the roof gutters should be fine... ? but did not see many options. I was looking at Smittybilt Defender
https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittyb...-rack-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jl-gladiator-jt
And Redrock
https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock4x4-jeep-wrangler-full-length-roof-rack-j130926-jl.html
However I didn’t see many comments on these...Also thought maybe to buy a Mopar cross bar and put a basket on top? Are there other brands I should look at? Is theRe Rhino setting on roof gutter that will work for me?

Any advice will help. Thank you!!!
I got the Mopar cross bars and really like them. Gives you flexibility for future needs, with or without a basket.

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
Finally did my Front Runner rack. Overall very happy with it. It is rock solid. 86 lbs for a full size rack is great, plus it is distributed front/back, so that is a good thing too.

Instructions could have been a little better, but they were fine. Big downside is that there are no installation videos out there for it to lean on. Had to use what I could from some JK videos. I unfortunately was not able to contribute here as I do not have the patience for creating install videos.

Biggest pitfall was just not having a ton of confidence that I was lined up properly to drill the holes, but I was lucky to have a local shop that has done it lend some advice (thanks to Chirs @ Rack n' Roll in San Jose for the tips)

1598152405780.png

1598152416552.png

1598152424990.png

1598152487997.png

1598152497044.png

1598152507097.png

1598152515738.png

1598152523718.png

Was able to get my Pro6 mounted using the Front Runner mounting kit by removing one light. Didn't realize it came with two mounts. One hangs right at the middle of the platform and another that hangs below.

1598214534697.png

1598214542238.png

Wiring is super clean with this rack. Plenty of room in there for more wires too, not to mention the otherside that could be used as well

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) SmartSelect_20200907-204942_Chrome

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) SmartSelect_20200907-204942_Chrome

Love it. Can you do me a favour and measure from the top of the roof rack to the bottom of the floor?

I need to know what's the clearance. My garage is only 2183mm or 85.94"

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Love it. Can you do me a favour and measure from the top of the roof rack to the bottom of the floor?

I need to know what's the clearance. My garage is only 2183mm or 85.94"
No problem, I am 81" at my highest point. I am running a 2.5" Metalcloak lift with 37s.

Enjoy!
Sponsored