The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I’ve been following this thread since the beginning, and finally decided to pull the trigger on the Exposed Racks by SMS. These things are heavy duty with multiple mounting points and multiple install methods. Can install over hard top, UNDER soft top and using soft top hardware, and topless WITHOUT soft top hardware. I have a hard top without a soft top/hardware and installed topless. Easy install even with my Jtops shade on. Best part is they’re incredibly low profile. Maybe stick out an inch or two above the windshield/speaker housings. Claim is that they can support roof tent etc in any of the 3 install methods. I was the first to install topless without soft top hardware, and George from SMS was right there the whole way. Great experience!

More details to follow after I’ve tested on the road etc.

FFB72F68-4626-4A63-A18D-AC12F3A78D81.jpeg

7AF3B799-B641-45DF-9BAA-86F6C3C4CA63.jpeg

88F5C191-53D1-4054-AE38-B07A856CBCCB.jpeg

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Any chance they provide static weight capacity?
And any info on how easy it is to remove just the rack on a hardtop?

I’ve been following this thread since the beginning, and finally decided to pull the trigger on the Exposed Racks by SMS. These things are heavy duty with multiple mounting points and multiple install methods. Can install over hard top, UNDER soft top and using soft top hardware, and topless WITHOUT soft top hardware. I have a hard top without a soft top/hardware and installed topless. Easy install even with my Jtops shade on. Best part is they’re incredibly low profile. Maybe stick out an inch or two above the windshield/speaker housings. Claim is that they can support roof tent etc in any of the 3 install methods. I was the first to install topless without soft top hardware, and George from SMS was right there the whole way. Great experience!

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Any chance they provide static weight capacity?
And any info on how easy it is to remove just the rack on a hardtop?
Would have to talk to the guys at SMS, maybe contact them direct. Not sure they’re on the thread.

cjumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

I don't see any distributor info on the SMS site. Is there any price/retailer info available online, or do you have to contact SMS for that?

Sponsored

gcamo0012

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler MOAB Sting Gray
Can you take the hardtop off easily with the gobi?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I asked them about weight capacity and received the following info:
Thank you for your message. We just launched the new JL / JLU Crossbars. I'm happy to share all the info we have. The crossbars themselves (the tubing) can hold a ridiculous amount of weight - easily a roof top tent. We use heavy gauge carbon steel, electroplated and powder-coated. The way the crossbars mount on the JL / JLU hard top distributes the weight down through the Jeep top itself using our patent pending weight distribution system (up to 7 weight dist. points per crossbar). So the design / function is very strong. We are testing now for max static weights. Once we have the numbers we will publish. I can tell you that given what we know so far we opted to go straight to testing the largest 5 person tent we could get our hands on. The same crossbars on the soft top / no top configuration (using the soft top brackets) has already been tested and can definitely hold an RTT. My best, George

Tug

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Hi All,
Wanted to report back on Kargo Master.

As of this morning I have not heard back from them. I was interested in a Congo Cage or something that would allow the soft top to fold for the JL, but might look elsewhere. Dale_PHX Did you ever hear back?

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 2.0 i4 turbo, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I asked them about weight capacity and received the following info:
Thank you for your message. We just launched the new JL / JLU Crossbars. I'm happy to share all the info we have. The crossbars themselves (the tubing) can hold a ridiculous amount of weight - easily a roof top tent. We use heavy gauge carbon steel, electroplated and powder-coated. The way the crossbars mount on the JL / JLU hard top distributes the weight down through the Jeep top itself using our patent pending weight distribution system (up to 7 weight dist. points per crossbar). So the design / function is very strong. We are testing now for max static weights. Once we have the numbers we will publish. I can tell you that given what we know so far we opted to go straight to testing the largest 5 person tent we could get our hands on. The same crossbars on the soft top / no top configuration (using the soft top brackets) has already been tested and can definitely hold an RTT. My best, George
I just placed my order. I'll be placing my roof top tent it. I'll be giving my review once I use it next weekend (5-25-19)

Dawn Patrol

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Hi, how do you like it so far? I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these too because I have surfboards and a soft top. This might be what I'm looking for.

Sponsored

AggEyes

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue Wrangler JLUR
I hadn't seen those for the JL. Where did you find it and first impressions please.
I dropped into the Rack N Road in Salt Lake looking for a full body rack. They told me 6 months for the Gobi but then checked Garvin’s site and saw they had just released this. Garvin has them online, but I ordered through Rack N Road and had them do the install. Took about a week for the parts to get in and a full day for them to install it.

I’ve only driven it home since the install but so far so good. It was a super windy day, but I didn’t notice any extra noises or change in drive on the interstate out of the ordinary from the wind. It says it’s specific for hard tops, but Garvin told our installer that some soft tops will work as well since it doesn’t actually attach to the top. I’m hoping to get the Suntop. The only downside is that it does seem like it might be a pain to take off when we take off the full hard top, so that’ll likely be a once at the beginning and end of summer switch. No quick release on this thing.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Has anyone heard anything concerning the RhinoRack Backbone-Pioneer Rack lately? Several months ago, I received a reply from RR that it would be available in June (but RR has been saying 'next month' for over a year).

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 2.0 i4 turbo, 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I installed my SMS Exposed Rack and got my tent mounted. It's a low profile rack. Mount rack to tent first, then mount tent onto the jeep. I then built a awning mount this morning. Seems like a well built rack. Came with weight distribution feet that can be adjusted.

20190525_122830.jpg

20190525_192343.jpg

20190525_192356.jpg
Sponsored