Sponsored

The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

Godzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
The Maximus-3 is the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform and it is rated at 900lbs static and 300lbs dynamic per the sales guy I talked to when ordering mine.
Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
The Backbone system is not available for the JL yet I thought?
No but Maximus uses the same rack, the backbone difference is only in the mounts

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I don't have dual top. I did see when doing the install that Ill need to remove two sound bar trim pieces to get at the bolts to uncouple when removing the top.
I’m more asking do the brackets stick up and interfere if I want to use the soft top, guess I’ll have to wait to see if anyone on here tried

MRFISH

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLU RUBICON
Vehicle Showcase
I’m more asking do the brackets stick up and interfere if I want to use the soft top, guess I’ll have to wait to see if anyone on here tried
There is a guy on this thread that posted pics of his Maximus-3 installation. The brackets (left and right hand sides are two piece... the part that bolts to the roll bar and the bracket that attaches to it and provides the connection to the pioneer platform.

The bracket is attached with two bolts (allowing for adjustment)... I guess if you are running a soft top you can just remove bolts and brackets and be golden? If you have a hardtop, I guess you would leave the brackets that attach to the pioneer platform attached.

New member, first post... but I've been following this thread since day one! Thank you all for the forum!

Image stolen from JLYacker (thank you in advance).

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jruedastinger

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
Installed the Maximus-3 yesterday. As stated earlier it is straightforward and the instructions are pretty good. I was missing a couple of bolts from the kit. I had to call around to some friends to find someone with a metric tape measure as everything is in millimeters and the conversion to inches is more of a pain in the butt than its worth. The moment of truth when you put the drill to the hardtop is worrisome because the lateral measurements are less than exact as you measure from the top of a rounded ridge. It came out fine though - the inner and exterior brackets weren't in perfect alignment but the setup allows for a tiny bit of a fudge factor. Took me and a friend about 5 hours to install working slowly.
Pics please.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
What's the difference between the short and long roof rack system? They are within $30 of each other in price point. I did not expect a roof rack system to cost $1200+...
The site at www.maximus-3.com shows pics of both the long and the short. The front edge of the short version stops before it gets to the front of the rear door, whereas the front edge of the long version stops part way over the front doors. Both allow for removal of the Freedom tops, however. See attached images from their site.

Dimensions:
Short: 60”L x 54”W
Long: 76”L x 54”W

It appears that the pioneer platform itself (and all associated accessories like ladders and rails, etc.) are the exact parts used on the JK racks. The only thing that makes the JL version different appears to be the brackets that mount the pioneer system to the vehicle via the roll bars.

Here is the long version:
7B6ED424-01D9-46A3-80BC-DDEC0AD29C68.jpeg

And here is the short version:
DE4B0F5C-4C11-423B-9358-425FBCE9E38B.jpeg

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
appreciate the photos - and the measurements. The "long" rack didn't look like it could be 16" longer than the "short" one from the picture, so I went out and measured the top of my Jeep with your measurements above.

Then I noticed your "long" version sits a bit back further than the short one is - could be why (for me) it didn't look much longer.

waiting on one that will be the length of the roof (so go pretty much to the front) so I can mount a lightbar. I remember seeing one with a mesh-panel insert that was removable over the freedom panels, just gotta find it again.

love the backbone concept; if I remove the hard top, I won't need what's mounted to the rack anyway. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the brackets on the Maximus-3, but we'll see what else comes out. I would prefer if the brackets all sat above the roll bar instead

*edit* ya the gobi stealth was the one with the panel. unfortunately I probably won't find exactly what I want so I'm going to have to make a couple decisions on what I will make allowances on.

dang engineering constraints!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
waiting on one that will be the length of the roof (so go pretty much to the front) so I can mount a lightbar.
The Front Runner SlimLine rack might be a good fit for you. Although, as per this thread, they may not have it ready for the JL for a while. It goes right up to the front, has a ton of compatible accessories, and I believe you can slide the slats around, or take some out - if you wanted to open up the space above the Freedom Panels like in the picture below:

3633DE66-D4CC-407C-BDFC-0A7D3C70D12B.jpeg

I really like the functionality of this rack, but I like the looks of the Maximus 3 a bit more. If Front Runner has their rack available when I decide on a RTT, I’ll probably go with them (function over form). But if I find a tent before Front Runner gets to market for the JL, I’ll probably go form over function with the Maximus 3.

StudioDFW

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I know this is not the heavy duty “roof rack” system that most are looking for but it is a great/cheap option for those simply looking for a way to transport a bit more gear when traveling.

- MOPAR roof rails

- Reese Cargo Basker ($88 on Amazon)

Easy install/uninstall and seemingly solid construction. We use it to carry our Patagonia Black Hole duffel bags when traveling. Hard to beat for the money if all you are looking for is some extra cargo storage. I think it looks pretty nice as well! It came with a Reese sticker on the wind deflector but it peeled right off.

AA5C651D-1BC0-410F-BEA3-B4ABA45DD081.jpeg
1D37778C-60B0-4131-87B2-97DD061BBB89.jpeg
2F24EA84-7660-45DA-B1AA-7C42180F5754.jpeg
6DF3C4B8-ABC8-48FE-AEDC-D9A9BBD66482.jpeg

tscribe

First Name
toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited jl
Does anyone know if the Smittybuilt Defender Roof Rack will fit the JL? It looks like it will fit but idk since it has to attach at the bolts on the back window I'm not sure if there's something different about the JL that won't accept the rack? some folks were saying that a few bars that fit the JK were not wide enough for their JL but the specs have the width at 73.9 for both JL and JK so not sure. Anyone?

Smittybilt 45454 Defender Roof Rack
Sponsored