Sponsored

The recurring absence of instruction documents.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
There are a good number of posts, and even threads, on this forum that are linked to owners seeking assistance with accessory installation. These posts and threads are composed specifically because neither the manufacturer nor the vendor (if applicable) included a well-written instruction document...or any instructions at all.

Certainly, not all manufacturers/vendors are guilty here, but there's just enough who are to get our attention. Why is this simple failure of due diligence occurring?

From personal experience, the issue of missing documentation is bad enough in the motorcycle accessory market. To judge from recurring posts like the thread linked above and the post quoted below, it's observably a bit worse in the Jeep world. This is doubly frustrating when considering the king's ransom that many of us are paying for JL parts & accessories.

Installed GMRS antenna and bracket kit from @CoolTech . Also sent them an email since there was ZERO info on just how to connect the cable to the bracket. This was the only way that made sense. All they had was a picture and it was poor quality. Sorry @CoolTech , could be just a tad better.

61752972-5463-4059-BD35-FC66C88ED8A6_1_105_c.jpeg
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Agreed. No instructions, crappy instructions, or really hard to find instructions. Even on some great products. End user YouTube videos are almost always better than what the manufacturer provides because they’re more detailed, more accurate, and address real life issues that manufacturers seem to ignore.

Thanks to everyone who posts a thread or makes a good video to help out.

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i hear you and agree. i've been in a spot where i waste time in re reading or trying to figure out the instructions. granted i'll work a little slower and take my time in installing something, but that just to do it right the first time and have the end result looking clean and neat.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
A product with coherent instructions means a reliable, consistent and predictable experience before, during and after the installation.

While not everything needs instructions, they’re nice to have as what follows them is warranty information.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
While we're on the subject, @JeepCares , it would be nice if the service manual was available (always out of stock).
And it would be nice if it didn't require obsolete software like Adobe Flash and Internet Explorer to use it.
This is really unacceptable for owners.
Jeep Wrangler JL The recurring absence of instruction documents. 1611538419682

Sponsored

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I asked about this before Chirstmas and was told new version would be avaliable in early 2021. I sent a follow up email yesterday to Tech Authority pending a response.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I’d like to highlight two companies for the effort they put into the instruction manuals.

Teraflex. All I can say is “wow”. This is clearly an engineering driven company that takes pride in their work and that pride extends all the way to their user manuals. Their instructions are extremely well detailed. You can tell they put a lot of effort into the manuals and there is even revision control of the documents. The instructions are very thorough.

Rhino Rack. Their instructions are minimalistic but it is not becuase they skimped on the documents but rather they are very IKEA-like in their approach. There are very few words and they try to use figures and cartoons to enable a customer to assemble the product without having to be an expert reader of English. Creating a minimalistic set of instructions by design is very challenging. You can tell they put a lot of thought into their instructions.

I once rewrote a 400 page user manual at work even though user documentation was the responsibility of another department because I was very irritated by the poor quality of the manual. I felt it reflected very badly on our company to provide a crap manual when we were selling a $4M product.

First Name
Robs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It's frustrating to see how the absence of instruction documents for accessory installations remains a recurring issue, even in the Jeep community. Although this thread is from two years ago, it's still relevant today, highlighting a persistent problem.
Manufacturers and vendors should indeed make it a priority to provide clear and comprehensive instructions with their products. It's essential for ensuring a smooth installation process and avoiding unnecessary headaches for customers.
Also, check out https://fakeyourdrank.com/ for access to multiple IDs. They sell only the best stuff.

Last edited:

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
It's frustrating to see how the absence of instruction documents for accessory installations remains a recurring issue, even in the Jeep community. Although this thread is from two years ago, it's still relevant today, highlighting a persistent problem.
Even in other products, ever purchase a voltage meter and no instructions. Some come with instructions but the English is so bad you can’t really understand what they are trying to say. Especially the Taiwan or Chinese. You have to look on line for made in USA and that’s not always that good either as stated above.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I myself find that in today's day and age, (Love the Internet) missing "Instruction documents for accessory installations" is no big deal at all.

I would rather internet search and read install related info/tibits, caveats, tools needed for install, watch install videos and such, I find from fellow vehicle owner's that have actually installed the product offering.

With manufacturer "instruction documents for accessory installations" you get only what the manufacturer wants you to see/hear. Often the instruction info is used to fuel sales, so much can be pure, utter bullchitt..

Before purchase and for sure before install, I do my homework so to speak.

Once I own an offering and do the install on my JL for example, I come here and tell about it... mention good or bad, caveats, etc... OF course, then I have to read a follow-up reply to that post from some no nothing asshat that says I am merely promoting a product in my post. Fruck them!

Sponsored

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

Instructions are often written by employees who are very familiar with the product. This leads to lack of information because to the author it seems obvious. One of my pet peeves is when a company like ARB sends out instructions with photos that look like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy that is dark and grainy. I usually watch as many YouTube videos of installs as I can find before even ordering a product to see what I’m in for. Sometimes someone actually shows an outside the box tip that is helpful

Badunit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2023 JT
With manufacturer "instruction documents for accessory installations" you get only what the manufacturer wants you to see/hear. Often the instruction info is used to fuel sales, so much can be pure, utter bullchitt..
That is another facet of the problem of poor instruction manuals. An "instruction manual" geared toward sales of additional items is NOT a good instruction manual.

When I am under my vehicle with greasy/dirty hands, I get ultra-pissed if I have to clean up to go inside and get on my computer (again) to watch some random person's install video (again) because the manufacturer didn't bother to include a few pages of instructions with their expensive piece of equipment and I can't remember a step from that random person's video. It torques me enough that many "manuals" (including Mopar service "manuals") are online only, which means I have to print pages myself if I want to use them when my hands are dirty. And Lord help me if they refer to some page that I neglected to print and I don't find that out until I'm in the middle of the job.

A well thought out and well written instruction manual is a sign of a company that is proud of its products and cares about its customers. When they don't have one it makes me wonder if they ever really installed and used their own product or if it is going to require some modification to the vehicle or the product they don't want to tell you about beforehand. I often won't buy a product if I don't see a manual or someone's install/use video beforehand. You learn a lot from one.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I do like to figure things out on my own sometimes BUT it is nice when a forum member posts their own issues and tips and tricks. Plus a few pictures are worth a thousand words
Sponsored