Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
This is not some piece of investigative journalism seeking to trash Koons of VA, which many of you know is currently willing to discount the invoice price of the 2018 JL(U) by 5%.

I realize that threads already exist on dealership availability and pricing, but Koons is unique, in good ways, so I've given this topic its own thread.

Disclaimer: I like Koons. I like the responsive customer service I've received so far, and their honesty. I like that their willing to pick me up from either of two nearby airports or Amtrack DC for free.

So if I have any biases, its pro Koons, but work for them I don't, nor do I bear any fiduciary connection to them. My praising them here earns me no better deal with them than you. I won't fib for them either, and they certainly haven't asked me to. I do not work in the auto industry.

But numbers don't lie, nor does Koons--at least as far as I can so far see.

Specifically, after Koons effects this 5% discount there are certain fees to be paid: fees Koons has been very upfront about mentioning. (OP edit for fairness: fees are charged at all dealers in one way or another. Dealers have a right to make fair money. Dealers have a right to share with you the costs of making a sale, right down to the cost of heating the building.)

Some of these fees, like tax and title Koons merely collects money from you to do on your behalf. They aren't money making on Koons' parts, and they must by law be done by all dealers. Therefore, including them in the calculations would be unfair to Koons, unless Koons were discounting them: which they make no claims to be doing, and I don't blame them for not offering. (E.g. Can you imagine them charging you less to get plates than you can do it for on your own?) These figures are therefore worthless for comparison purposes, but nonetheless additional fees you will pay your government, that Koons collects on your behalf.

And I want to be unfair to nobody here: not you, me, or Koons.

The fee I'm talking about is a $699 charge Koons (up front and honesty and openly) admits to charging on every deal. That's up from $599 when the offer was originally made on JL(U)s.

Call that $699 what you will: dealer processing, documentation, the cost of toilet paper in the dealership's bathrooms, all the above, as if its label in any way affects, for better or worse, its amount to you and me.

"So what am I really saving," you ask.

Well the answer is less than 5%, which still may be an excellent deal on Koons' behalf. "How much less than 5% you ask," okay.

Since this $699 is a flat fee, regardless of whether you buy a stripped 2 door Sport JL, or a tripped out 4 door Ruby, the more you spend on your JL(U), the closer you will get to this 5% off, never completely getting there.

Let's look at the worse case scenario (the one that makes Koons look the "worst" ****), where this flat $699 fee is allocated to the barest bones JL 2 door Sport with soft top and standard transmission, with no options.

*** Note: I did not say the scenario that makes Koons look bad...I said the "worst" i.e. where Koons' discount comes out to the least amount---and few of us will order such a stripped down JL. And this STILL may be the best deal.

According to my calculations, in that worst case, the $699 took about 2% off the 5% discount.

Again, that still may be a good deal--a great deal--and a deal I might add that gets effectively better (closer to 5% off) the more you spend on your JL(U) because, again, the $699 is a fixed charge no matter what JL(U) you buy.

And again, this deal is for orders only, no on lot purchases.

============

Let's look at the math, which if I have wrong, I beg someone, Koons or otherwise, to chime in on.

According to the price tables on this website, (all prices in Invoice), the Sport 2 door, with soft top and manual tranny is $26,590. Add to that, assuming you live in the Continental US, $1,195 in destination fees which are the same whether you live in Toledo (ground zero for transport) or Key West, FL, for a total of $27,785. Then there's a $12 charge for gasoline, which I suspect is fixed across all models, and if not, such a small difference anyway. That gets us to $27,797.

Off that Koons will take 5%, ($1,389.85) leaving us a total of $26,407.15.

But wait, there's more discounts, as they say in the infomercial world.

If you present Koons with a valid Tread Lightly discount code at purchase, they'll take an additional $150 off AFTER (better for you) the 5%.

I know, I know, people will cry that it's $250, but I'm factoring in, somewhat (but only a little) unfairly to Koons that the Tread Lightly membership was $100. I say "unfairly" because the Tread Lightly (TL) membership offers you more than simply this discount, which my math is effectively asking for Koons to pay for in its entirety, even if the fair market value of the TL membership beyond the purchase discount amounts to more than lunch money (which would make Koons even "sweller" in my math, but only by a tad.)

Is Koons taking off the full 1% other dealers honor for Tread Lightly? No. Are they up front about that? Yes.

Should they have to take off the full 1%? I don't think so, unless you can find another dealer that's meeting, let along beating Koons' offer.

So, back to the math, the TL discount and Koons charge adds up to a net $549 ($699-$150) additional outlay for you for a total of $26,956.15.

And $26,956.15 is about a 3.02% reduction off the $27,797 figure quoted above.

I really hope this helps. Note that the only costs I factored in that all dealers charge were, to benefit Koons, and be fair for comparison purposes (like gas money and destination) ones that it's taking 5% off of.

Again, and I cannot emphasize this enough, the more you spend, the closer this 3.02% gets to 5%.

My goal was to be correct and fair. To the extent that I am not, I am sorry and bear responsibility, and beg for others to kindly document with math and/or different logic/approaches, not the least of which Koons.

...which by the way did I say I like ;)

(Op note to fairness. If you think dealers crooked, try some sellers, who make widely false claims on trade ins, waste dealer's time, never intended on buying, etc. It works both ways.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A great deal for someone that doesn't have a trade-in.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
A great deal for someone that doesn't have a trade-in.
It’s a long read, but has been my thoughts all along. I’m fortunate to qualify for EP because Koons is too far from me and I don’t see dealers close enough to me offering even the 3% under invoice, which you point out as being worst case scenario for Koons. The argument that they are misleading because it not actually 5% below blah blah blah is not founded because they tell you that up front making the 5% a part of a formula that also must include the addition of the $599 or $699 fee to come to the final cost.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Agreed Chad. Koons is up front. But people (clearly not you or I) can get confused and think either that they're really getting 5% off, which they are not, or that Koons is some scam: which it's not.

I've read so many posts about people paying this, but that was added, but this was taken off....these are methods dealers use to confuse customers in large part, I think.

The bottom line IS the bottom line.

Sorry for the long post. I don't know what to have eliminated and still be fair to the facts while being capable of step by step conveying my thoughts to the more confused, for clarity sake.

Ironically enough, Koons offer, despite not completely trivial to follow, is the clearest I've seen so far.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a problem with dogging Koons for being misleading (seen in many of the comments that like drove the OP to create this thread). It is 5% off and there are then fees like EVERY car dealer I've ever worked with on a new car. Theirs happens to be a little higher than some but it would be that same fee, I assume, on any car with any deal on their lot (unless you haggled your way out of it). Most all dealers have absorbent "doc" or "handling" or "processing" fees. VA just happens to allow these fees to go higher than many. There is no cap in VA. The cap in MD is 300 and my dealer does 300. I'm not financing and the doc fees don't cover registration or titling (different fee) so I'm not really costing them anything but they are charging me anyway. So, if were truly comparing dealers across the board you should figure in these fees on the overall deal, sure, but it doesn't change that the dealer is doing 5% off invoice. Mine is also doing 5% but the dealer fees are less. I still say they are matching the deal I could have done with Koons. As others note, the bottom line out the door is what matters. I'm just happy I don't live in one of these states I'm seeing with 8.5% plus sales tax.

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
good summary, its still a deal regardless (and I chose not to take it, and I asked my dealer to counter it even though I am only a 2.5 hour drive from Koons front door). I think @tmakaro said it the best, its a great deal if you dont have a trade in...and I would add that you are somewhat close (like a days drive or less to get there, complete the deal, and get home) to negate the cost of getting there (spending the night possibly) and getting back home.

If you do have a trade in, it would really suck to get there and be boned on the trade. I am not saying they would do that, maybe you can work that out ahead of time with a soft pending or a conditional offer in writing before hand (verbal agreements can also be binding it just all depends on the wording...if you tell them you have a 10/10 Jeep and show up with rust on a 5/10 then yea you misrepresented....misrepresentation can go both ways also on their part....again not that they would do that).

If you dont have a trade and can get there and home in 1 day....and dont drive a bus or other gas hog to get there....its a good deal. Just like the OP said though, the more expensive/loaded your Jeep is, the mathematically better the deal is because you maximize the % points.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I also have a problem with dogging Koons for being misleading (seen in many of the comments that like drove the OP to create this thread). It is 5% off and there are then fees like EVERY car dealer I've ever worked with on a new car. Theirs happens to be a little higher than some but it would be that same fee, I assume, on any car with any deal on their lot (unless you haggled your way out of it). Most all dealers have absorbent "doc" or "handling" or "processing" fees. VA just happens to allow these fees to go higher than many. There is no cap in VA. The cap in MD is 300 and my dealer does 300. I'm not financing and the doc fees don't cover registration or titling (different fee) so I'm not really costing them anything but they are charging me anyway. So, if were truly comparing dealers across the board you should figure in these fees on the overall deal, sure, but it doesn't change that the dealer is doing 5% off invoice. Mine is also doing 5% but the dealer fees are less. I still say they are matching the deal I could have done with Koons. As others note, the bottom line out the door is what matters. I'm just happy I don't live in one of these states I'm seeing with 8.5% plus sales tax.
I see your point. All dealers charge fees, so for comparison purposes maybe Koon's has the right to say they take 5% off. I've modified my original post based on this excellent point, and to be fair.

On the other hand, as you point out, these fees vary among dealers, can even be no charge if they dealer is doing a lucrative enough deal, and as a result lead fair comparisons to factor the discount (e.g. Koons 5%), and then add back the fees you discuss, and use that number as the true percentage off, at least for comparison purposes

That dealers have a right to earn money on a sale, even through numerous sources (charges, incentive programs with FCA, etc.) I agree with whole heartedly, as sure as the cost of labor varies, and is bound to be high in VA.

We agree to a dealer's right to profit, our desire to get the best deal, and that Koons being labelled as misleading, when everyoneelse is doing what they do, likely in less clear terms and at greater cost to the consumer, would be an unfair label that Koons does not deserve.

They're the good guys. I just want everyone to know how good--for comparison purposes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
....if you tell them you have a 10/10 Jeep and show up with rust on a 5/10 then yea you misrepresented....misrepresentation can go both ways also on their part....again not that they would do that).
Excellent point. I've added that to my original post to be fair to Koons and all dealers.

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
The Dillon’s deal is a little harder to judge if you decide to finance through them. The $1000 add-on if you don’t finance through them is pretty straight forward and is still a good deal (around 5% below invoice I think), but not being sure of the interest rate on their financing plans makes it hard to determine how good of a deal it winds up being if you do. Again, that is definitely something a person can lock down before signing the paperwork, but it would be easy to recuperate the initial discount through a higher interest rate than one could get elsewhere. If you ask me though, that is up to the consumer to do some homework and some math to figure out what is best for them.

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
The Dillon’s deal is a little harder to judge if you decide to finance through them. The $1000 add-on if you don’t finance through them is pretty straight forward and is still a good deal (around 5% below invoice I think), but not being sure of the interest rate on their financing plans makes it hard to determine how good of a deal it winds up being if you do. Again, that is definitely something a person can lock down before signing the paperwork, but it would be easy to recuperate the initial discount through a higher interest rate than one could get elsewhere. If you ask me though, that is up to the consumer to do some homework and some math to figure out what is best for them.
If you have cash to pay it off you might be able to pay it off after the first few payments with no penalty.

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If you have cash to pay it off you might be able to pay it off after the first few payments with no penalty.
I’ve seen that, but if you could afford to pay cash for one outright I don’t think it would be worth the hassle for $1000 and in my research I’ve found interest rates on refinancing a vehicle are higher than when purchasing a vehicle, so even if you get a better rate than Dillons through refinancing it is still likely to be a higher rate than one could have gotten initially elsewhere. I am making a lot of assumptions here. My point is people need to take all of this into consideration when determining how good of a deal it will actually turn out being. My guess is both of these deals are better than most and possibly the best deal going, especially for those that do not qualify for other special pricing.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm just happy I don't live in one of these states I'm seeing with 8.5% plus sales tax.
In BC Canada, we pay more because of our crappy dollar. Any vehicle over $57,000 will pay 15% taxes. I feel like I am being raped.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
In BC Canada, we pay more because of our crappy dollar. Any vehicle over $57,000 will pay 15% taxes. I feel like I am being raped.
Yeah, but you have free healthcare!!! :clap:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yeah, but you have free healthcare!!! :clap:
lol. I need it for the heart attack this will give me.

Edit: not everything is that much. Normally Its 5% GST and 7% PST but because the vehicle of over a certain amount(Thanks to the Canadian dollar) that 7% increases to 10% as a luxury tax.

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I'm just happy I don't live in one of these states I'm seeing with 8.5% plus sales tax.
9.5% here in Chicago, plus ~$87 annual city sticker. But, in fairness, we do get a LOT of pot holes for that money, so we got that goin' for us. ;)
Sponsored