First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So here's the problem:
Im looking to buy a 2019 JLU Rubicon, but I don't have any experience with Jeeps! Im really looking for any reccomendations for options to select or things to look out for, any recommendation??

My Process
I will be using the jeep as a daily driver, but would also like for it to be relatively capable off-road. As you know, the Rubicon doesn't come cheap though so I am really trying to find the best mix of options for price and performance.

Brain Storming
I would like a 2inch lift, 35inch tires, Mopar simulated Beadlocks, and a LoD destroyer stubby front bumper. I would also like for to have a comfortable daily driver and winter ready car, Being that i live in Michigan.

Purchasing
I have close connections with a Jeep dealer, and my neighbor has a CDI discount available. Not quite if that helps.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Rubicon fits that- but is more than needed for that. I went Sahara. Here’s how I see the models:

* Sport gets you in the door for just about everything you need for a Jeep. It’s a great platform for modders that don’t want to pay for parts they want to get rid of anyway.

* Sahara is the side for daily drivers. All of the comfort and safety upgrades (brakes, lighting, leather, auto items, etc).

* Rubicon is the heavier off-road option out of the box. Upgrades to items meant to take more of a punishment. What you lose in on-road, you gain in off-road.

Frankly, everyone wants to say they have a Rubicon because the assumption is that you get more when you spend more. But with Jeep, the path you take is more about how you use it and not just about running up the totals. If you never use the extras, no sense in paying for them. Each model starts at kick ass off-road prowess, and from there you pick the direction you plan with it.

albatross

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 1993 YJ
Honestly, whatever Jeep you get can easily be customized to fit your needs with aftermarket options. Having said that, i will say the the LED lighting and Alpine option are Awesome (with a capital 'A').

Not related but since you're in Michigan, have you looked at JCR Offroad? Pretty good stuff, made in the USA and local to Michiganders.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Based on your usage, the Sahara is probably a better fit. If you don't need lockers or a 4:1 transfer case of beefier axles then why pay for them?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cwadle

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, whatever Jeep you get can easily be customized to fit your needs with aftermarket options. Having said that, i will say the the LED lighting and Alpine option are Awesome (with a capital 'A').

Not related but since you're in Michigan, have you looked at JCR Offroad? Pretty good stuff, made in the USA and local to Michiganders.
I didn't know that! thanks I will!

OP
OP
cwadle

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Based on your usage, the Sahara is probably a better fit. If you don't need lockers or a 4:1 transfer case of beefier axles then why pay for them?
Thats True, I just figured the Discount would take care of that.

OP
OP
cwadle

cwadle

First Name
cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon fits that- but is more than needed for that. I went Sahara. Here’s how I see the models:

* Sport gets you in the door for just about everything you need for a Jeep. It’s a great platform for modders that don’t want to pay for parts they want to get rid of anyway.

* Sahara is the side for daily drivers. All of the comfort and safety upgrades (brakes, lighting, leather, auto items, etc).

* Rubicon is the heavier off-road option out of the box. Upgrades to items meant to take more of a punishment. What you lose in on-road, you gain in off-road.

Frankly, everyone wants to say they have a Rubicon because the assumption is that you get more when you spend more. But with Jeep, the path you take is more about how you use it and not just about running up the totals. If you never use the extras, no sense in paying for them. Each model starts at kick ass off-road prowess, and from there you pick the direction you plan with it.
Thanks! very informational, You're right about the Rubicon hype. Will consider!

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
2" lift is unnecessary for 35's on a rubicon (only); It'll work stock and I wouldn't lift for looks, especially on a dd. If you're after capability, a winch is more important than beadlocks in my (recent) experience. The bumper is personal choice, I have the mopar steel bumpers, but they're not the most economical choice if adding a winch and/or grill protection, but I like them so far.

I DD my jlur and it's very good, comfortable and gets 21mpg if I keep highway speed to 71-72mph. 8.4 inch nav with android CarPlay and the alpine stereo are worth it for a dd. The 8 speed auto is sublime. Led lights are a must have, especially if you live where deer are an issue.

So far, my jlur has tackled everything from upstate ny logging roads to midtown Manhattan traffic and towing my airstream up and down the east coast to the tune of over 6000 miles since I got it in May. The only issue I've had is squeaking weather stripping on the hardtop/tailgate. That and I buried it in mud in my back yard and had to extract it with my winch equipped land rover, but that was driver error, not any fault of the jeep. That just highlights the usefulness of a winch, so that will be my first real mod (I'm a big fan of not modifying until the need is identified). 2nd will probably be 35s once the bfgs wear out.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

Yup, if you dont use the stuff it;s not worth it. Plus with the auto the low range still works pretty well in a non-ruby. If one actually wheels, really wheels it their jeep the rubicon is cheap compared to doing the same mods yourself. Lockers, axle ratio changes, 4:1 tranfer case upgrades are expensive,
Sponsored