Sponsored

The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Since there's a sub-topic running on how good particular brands of filters are at filtering, I'll toss in a log.

The average American drives 13,476 miles according to DOT. The average ownership of a vehicle purchased new is 6 years. That means the average person sells their vehicle with about 81,000 miles on it. I'd wager they change the oil earlier than the maximum recommended interval, on average. If it was 4500 miles between oil changes, that would be 17-18 oil changes.

I'd conclude:
1) the cost of a filter would not likely impact my selection
2) I'd bet the difference in engine wear is of no consequence to the average seller or buyer of these vehicles when any name brand filter is used.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Since there's a sub-topic running on how good particular brands of filters are at filtering, I'll toss in a log.

The average American drives 13,476 miles according to DOT. The average ownership of a vehicle purchased new is 6 years. That means the average person sells their vehicle with about 81,000 miles on it. I'd wager they change the oil earlier than the maximum recommended interval, on average. If it was 4500 miles between oil changes, that would be 17-18 oil changes.

I'd conclude:
1) the cost of a filter would not likely impact my selection
2) I'd bet the difference in engine wear is of no consequence to the average seller or buyer of these vehicles when any name brand filter is used.
I agree.

If I were keeping my Jeep only 6 years, I'd run Supertech 0w20 and a Supertech filter, unless I found something cheaper on sale, which is not likely. Then I'd run it until the OLM said 0% before each change. And the engine would probably last well past 300k miles.

But I keep mine much longer and really enjoy taking care of it, so I buy the oil and filters I like, regardless of cost. And it'll be a LONG time before I hit 300k. My 13 year old JK is only at 152k. And running like new, btw. Mostly Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra filters.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I agree.

If I were keeping my Jeep only 6 years, I'd run Supertech 0w20 and a Supertech filter, unless I found something cheaper on sale, which is not likely. Then I'd run it until the OLM said 0% before each change. And the engine would probably last well past 300k miles.

But I keep mine much longer and really enjoy taking care of it, so I buy the oil and filters I like, regardless of cost. And it'll be a LONG time before I hit 300k. My 13 year old JK is only at 152k. And running like new, btw. Mostly Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra filters.
I recall the Fram issues before they fixed them. A Fram rep actually responded to BITOG. They addressed issues as a direct result of the BITOG member posts, if I recall correctly. It was a classic case of the manufacturer actually paying attention to a small enthusiast segment of their market. Great stuff.

Each of us decides on what to prioritize. I run M1 EP and Wix XP filters in everything we have, for many years and several past vehicles. From what I read at the time, those products were well above average. Still are from what I've read lately. I've had good service with one vehicle reaching nearly 300k miles and others well past 150k.

But those stats indicate you and I are in the minority for keeping vehicles.

Best regards

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I recall the Fram issues before they fixed them. A Fram rep actually responded to BITOG. They addressed issues as a direct result of the BITOG member posts, if I recall correctly. It was a classic case of the manufacturer actually paying attention to a small enthusiast segment of their market. Great stuff.

Each of us decides on what to prioritize. I run M1 EP and Wix XP filters in everything we have, for many years and several past vehicles. From what I read at the time, those products were well above average. Still are from what I've read lately. I've had good service with one vehicle reaching nearly 300k miles and others well past 150k.

But those stats indicate you and I are in the minority for keeping vehicles.

Best regards
I'm with you on the EP. I don't think there's a better oil out there. I've also gotten excellent service from Mobil 1 products over many engines and years.
Sponsored