Sponsored

The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Point IS an oil filter is CHEAP compared to the vehicle.
Sorry, that is not a valid point with regards to the Ultra. I have used them for years in various vehicles with zero issues for the rated Intervals. Times change.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, that is not a valid point with regards to the Ultra. I have used them for years in various vehicles with zero issues for the rated Intervals. Times change.
My bet is that even at 20k, the Ultra will filter better than most others do when brand new.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My bet is that even at 20k, the Ultra will filter better than most others do when brand new.
Agreed! One of these Ultras has 19,777 miles on it and the other has 14,689 on it. Which is which?

Jeep Wrangler JL The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out! {filename}

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the latest: Mobil 1 filter after about 6300 miles with Shell Rotella Gas Truck. This one came ot straight as an arrow. I put a Fram Ultra next to it and it was slightly shorter than the Fram. Same deal with another M1 filter that was purchased off the same shelf. Weird. Anway, the filter looks great. Looks like it could go another round with no issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the latest: Mobil 1 filter after about 6300 miles with Shell Rotella Gas Truck. This one came ot straight as an arrow. I put a Fram Ultra next to it and it was slightly shorter than the Fram. Same deal with another M1 filter that was purchased off the same shelf. Weird. Anway, the filter looks great. Looks like it could go another round with no issue.
Missing the picture?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now the pic is up! Thanks @CarbonSteel !

I also added a Gold Plug magnetic drain bolt. That magnet is STRONG! Not sure if it has any real benefit, but it can't hurt.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@DanW
@OldGuyNewJeep

You know how we have known about the filter wringing a bit and the valve in the oil filter housing cap being damaged and how it is real wise to keep a spare oil filter housing cap on hand.... WELL, Amsoil rep just made a video about the issue we have been aware of. Thought you might like to view..

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@DanW
@OldGuyNewJeep

You know how we have known about the filter wringing a bit and the valve in the oil filter housing cap being damaged and how it is real wise to keep a spare oil filter housing cap on hand.... WELL, Amsoil rep just made a video about the issue we have been aware of. Thought you might like to view..
Geez, that was a good video. I had absolutely no idea the cap had a valve in it! Thank you for sharing this. I feel it’s important enough info that @JAY or @1quick1 ought to make this video a pinned post.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Geez, that was a good video. I had absolutely no idea the cap had a valve in it! Thank you for sharing this. I feel it’s important enough info that @JAY or @1quick1 ought to make this video a pinned post.
@OldGuyNewJeep

I actually have been aware of what was covered in the video for well over 2 years now. After reading here of 2 or so guys damaging the cap's valve and then reassembling the cap. OH MY!... I started looking into what the cap was about and how to deal with it. For the longest time I have been spewing to keep a spare cap in the garage...

Guess I kinda took it for granted others here had figured out as I did did that the valve was in the cap and you had to be careful to pull the filter straight off and when you put the new filter on to assure it spun freely and that you lubricated the ends prior to install.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@OldGuyNewJeep

I actually have been aware of what was covered in the video for well over 2 years now. After reading here of 2 or so guys damaging the cap's valve and then reassembling the cap. OH MY!... I started looking into what the cap was about and how to deal with it. For the longest time I have been spewing to keep a spare cap in the garage...

Guess I kinda took it for granted others here had figured out as I did did that the valve was in the cap and you had to be careful to pull the filter straight off and when you put the new filter on to assure it spun freely and that you lubricated the ends prior to install.
Pretty sure the spare cap in my garage parts cabinet is there because you told me about this. Cheap insurance.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Pretty sure the spare cap in my garage parts cabinet is there because you told me about this. Cheap insurance.
Ditto, though I thought the reason to keep a spare was because they easily crack if overtightened. It was the first accessory I bought in 2018.

Because of Bill, I also have a spare fuse array, Fumoto valves on all three vehicles, and seat return parts in my glovebox… not to mention ESS bypass and Northstar battery. I think we all owe him a beer or two.

I just pulled my filter to look at it. Spins freely and not twisted… probably because I never used those “free” Jeep Wave oil changes!! 😂

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto, though I thought the reason to keep a spare was because they easily crack if overtightened. It was the first accessory I bought in 2018.

Because of Bill, I also have a spare fuse array, Fumoto valves on all three vehicles, and seat return parts in my glovebox… not to mention ESS bypass and Northstar battery. I think we all owe him a beer or two.

I just pulled my filter to look at it. Spins freely and not twisted… probably because I never used those “free” Jeep Wave oil changes!! 😂
Yeah, I remember both reasons. I have heard of more of them cracking, though, than the bypass valve breaking.
Sponsored