Sponsored

The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They don't define that and don't cite the standard test. That could mean the smallest particle it can filter is 13 microns. The Fram is purported to filter very well even in the 5 micron range, according to a former Fram engineer on Bitog. I can't remember the percentage, but it was surprisingly high, as I recall. Anyway, Wix told me the number and it was not close to the Fram.

That's not to say the Wix isn't good. Millions of users get long engine life with them.
That data is straight from WIX, 50% at 13 microns and 98.7% at 35 microns. I suppose the difference is small, to each their own.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That data is straight from WIX, 50% at 13 microns and 98.7% at 35 microns. I suppose the difference is small, to each their own.
Not small-- 98.7% @ 35um is at least a 75% increase versus 99.9% @ 20um.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Not small-- 98.7% @ 35um is at least a 75% increase versus 99.9% @ 20um.
lies, damn lies, and statistics....

Also, I noticed at work today that Jeep states to never exceed 10k OCI. They should probably get that info out there.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
lies, damn lies, and statistics....

Also, I noticed at work today that Jeep states to never exceed 10k OCI. They should probably get that info out there.
What is your point or are you just venting?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
What is your point or are you just venting?
In regards to which part? The quote is in regards to the ability to turn any number to a specific narrative.

W/rt single pass through efficiency ratings in a vacuum, a few % points is small. Of course the Fram Ultra filter is a good filter, I just dont believe its reinforcement necessarily does anything other than perhaps allow a finer and less durable filter media to be used as the main element.

I mention the 10k mile OCI because people want to push things to limits around here, and the fram filter is specifically advertised as a 20k mile filter.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In regards to which part? The quote is in regards to the ability to turn any number to a specific narrative.

W/rt single pass through efficiency ratings in a vacuum, a few % points is small. Of course the Fram Ultra filter is a good filter, I just dont believe its reinforcement necessarily does anything other than perhaps allow a finer and less durable filter media to be used as the main element.

I mention the 10k mile OCI because people want to push things to limits around here, and the fram filter is specifically advertised as a 20k mile filter.
Well, ISO 4548-12 is not a specific narrative, it is a standard that oil filters are tested against. FRAM publishes 99.9% @ 20um against ISO 4548-12 and to my knowledge WIX does not post those numbers. FRAM uses synthetic filter media which should be supported (and is), the WIX XP series does the same except its efficiency rating is not close to the FRAM.

In the end, it **may not** matter, but for my money (particularly when the WIX XP and FRAM are about the same--though I think the WIX is higher), I want the most efficient filter that has been tested against a known standard.

But, I get it...

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I don't believe the mesh is to enable use of weaker or mor fragile media. The filter media itself in the Fram was MUCH stronger and tore less easily than the M1 media, even without the mesh backing. (I tore some of it off the mesh) The mesh only made it stronger.

The Fram's media is more substantial. It has an appearance and feel of something of much higher quality. It feels and looks very different from what is used in the M1.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I don't believe the mesh is to enable use of weaker or mor fragile media. The filter media itself in the Fram was MUCH stronger and tore less easily than the M1 media, even without the mesh backing. (I tore some of it off the mesh) The mesh only made it stronger.

The Fram's media is more substantial. It has an appearance and feel of something of much higher quality. It feels and looks very different from what is used in the M1.
Is it thicker? I've never handled a Mobil 1 filter, so I'm not sure what they're made of either. I get the Napa Gold/WIX filters for a very good price so I use them. Simple as.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is very close between RGT and M1 AP in these few data points. The flash point in RGT is the highest I remember seeing from a non-PAO base stock 0w20, but then again, there may be some PAO in it. Only Shell really knows, but I'm not surprised, as they market Rotella as a very robust oil that can take high stress in truck engines.
If close, then there will be some PAO in there. I don't have the RGT data in front of me, but I don't remember it being that close. Just that RGT was a bit better than Pennzoil Platinum for flash point.

Either way, it produces good UOAs, from what I've seen. So I'll run it. I did score a Mobil 1 AP jug for 17 bucks on clearance, so I will likely run it next, then move back to the RGT.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW:

Still wringing them out...also knowns as...let's do the twist. Here is my FRAM Ultra after 10K (two 5K OCs)--I lubed both o-rings and the base and it made no difference. I will probably go the full 20K next time with 4 OCs:

2zgJg2.jpg

2zgH0l.jpg

2zg9f4.jpg

2zUpsf.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW:

Still wringing them out...also knowns as...let's do the twist. Here is my FRAM Ultra after 10K (two 5K OCs)--I lubed both o-rings and the base and it made no difference. I will probably go the full 20K next time with 4 OCs:

Jeep Wrangler JL The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out! 2zUpsf

Besides the twist, the pleats look great. I don't think that thing will have a problem going 20k.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Buys $50k jeep then goes 20k miles between oil change..................Uh no, just no. I'll do it at 6k with synthetic and recycle the oil thanks. Reminds me of guys that spend $2k on a rifle then complains because it jams on crap steel case ammo.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Buys $50k jeep then goes 20k miles between oil change..................Uh no, just no. I'll do it at 6k with synthetic and recycle the oil thanks. Reminds me of guys that spend $2k on a rifle then complains because it jams on crap steel case ammo.
Well, that's pretty funny, and I see the logic, but it isn't really apples to apples. First, he's only running the filter 20k. Oil changes are at 5k. Plus, a Fram Ultra filter is not the oil filter equivalent of steel case Russian ammo. It is more equivalent to Barnes Vortex ammo with TSX bullets. That's a far cry from Brown Bear.

Since the oil will be nowhere near its limit when it is changed, it won't oxidize at all, so the filter won't be taxed, even at 20k, IMO. It should do just fine.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Check your reading comprehension. 20K on an oil FILTER that is rated to go 20K miles and 5K on synthetic oil which is backed with an UOA.

Absolutely certain that my Rubicon is being maintained better than the vast majority of vehicles out there, so as they say in 'Stralia...no worries mate.