Sponsored

The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

I hear ya... I'm not saying they can't / don't / won't twist...... Just have not seen that, in regard to my JL, yet... yet... :LOL:
Yep, none of them were deformed to a point where they were compromised. All pleats were in good shape and would have had plenty of room for oil flow. I tore apart a Fram Ultra and the pleats were the strongest I´ve encountered. I expect the M1 pleats to be the same. It is still laying in a tray on my bench, waiting to be torn apart. I´ll get around to it soon and will report back on the results. I didn´t tear the Mopar apart, but it looked very well constructed, too, and again, showed no sign of compromise.
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The Pentastar engineer said the twisting is 100% normal and not a concern. I'd almost think there is a problem if there is no twist at all. Are you tightening your cap to spec? Maybe yours is just perfect and everything fits just right?

I know the used oily analyses I've had done show good filtration. So I'm taking his advice and have decided not to worry about it. Just a Pentastar quirk.
I wasn't implying you should worry but doesn't sound like they all come out twisted. I'd be curious and prolly buy another cap just to see what happens. Surely that wasn't a design feature...

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't implying you should worry but doesn't sound like they all come out twisted. I'd be curious and prolly buy another cap just to see what happens. Surely that wasn't a design feature...
Nope, never took it that way. Just stating the fact I´m not worried about it. Sorry if I made you think that. I was just sharing my own thoughts out loud.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DanW

Changed the oil and filter on my 3.6 JL today. Last oil and filter change was 6,238.

Pulled the Mobil 1 M1C-456A Extended Performance Cartridge Oil Filter that was in place..
(you know the filter some of us here, got on sale for less then $4.00. I bought 10)

Anyway, the pulled Mobil 1, oil filter had no twists at all. I've yet to have a twisted filter like some JL owner's are reporting.

--------------------------------------
Cost me very little to do the oil change today > $3.98 for the Mobil 1 Oil Filter and then a 5 qt. container of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil at a cost of $12.00 after rebate. 15 min. labor.
Total cost of oil change = $ 15.98. :clap:

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

Changed the oil and filter on my 3.6 JL today. Last oil and filter change was 6,238.

Pulled the Mobil 1 M1C-455A Extended Performance Cartridge Oil Filter that was in place..
(you know the filter some of us here, got on sale for less then $4.00. I bought 10)

Anyway, the pulled Mobil 1, oil filter had no twists at all. I've yet to have a twisted filter like some JL owner's are reporting.

--------------------------------------
Cost me very little to do the oil change today > $3.98 for the Mobil 1 Oil Filter and then a 5 qt. container of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil at a cost of $12.00 after rebate. 15 min. labor.
Total cost of oil change = $ 15.98. :clap:
M1C-456A?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel
Typoed earlier and corrected post ....

YES, Mobil 1 M1C-456A Extended Performance Cartridge Oil Filter , not Mobil 1 M1C-455A
No worries, I have not used M1 filters before and thought there may be different models like the FRAM series and wanted to check.

BTW - was there any reason the Walmart clearanced these filters? I saw them on the shelves again at $10.xx each.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries, I have not used M1 filters before and thought there may be different models like the FRAM series and wanted to check.

BTW - was there any reason the Walmart clearanced these filters? I saw them on the shelves again at $10.xx each.
@CarbonSteel

Not sure why they were discounted. In Walmart's all across the USA they were discounted.... found on the discount item shelf in automotive dept...

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@CarbonSteel

Not sure why they were discounted. In Walmart's all across the USA they were discounted.... found on the discount item shelf in automotive dept...
It is odd, isn't it? They were ultimately restocked at our local WM and are back to something like 15 bucks each. I see no change, even in the graphics on the box.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is odd, isn't it? They were ultimately restocked at our local WM and are back to something like 15 bucks each. I see no change, even in the graphics on the box.
@DanW

Who knows.. 8-)

I did compare the ones I got at discount to one I recently came across at Walmart. Appears to be exactly the same filter..

I have used the Mobil 1 oil filters I got for the last 3 oil changes on my JL and 2 oil changes on a JK my Son has.

I still have about 8 more Mobil 1 filters in the shelf. I bought a bunch at the bargain price.

I really like the Oring that comes with the Mobil 1 filter. Now ,that's a beefy Oring. It is about twice the diameter as the Mopar Oring and not as fragile.

I put plenty of oil on the Oring before slipping it on to the filter. I also put oil on the mini Oring, found on the filters base.

Funny, for years, I would use a metal pic to remove the Oring on the old JK filters and the JL filter.
Just two oil changes back, I started just snipping the Oring with a small snipper, rather then using the metal pic. Makes a 10 second Oring removal a 1 second one. 8-)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re dredging up bad memories of my blunder last summer... always install that ring in good lighting, and not by feel or this may happen to you:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/oil-filter-o-ring-placement-matters.34840/post-788826

Never happened to me, nor will it happen... I have to have a terrific lighting even when I take a leak..

Years ago, when I first had to use a JK oil filter I realized that it was important that each time I installed that large Oring that I needed to be very careful where / what grove I placed it in. PLACE IN GAP AREA!.....

I have taught my Sons that do oil changes on their JK's to be very careful also. I mention on the forum to be careful.... YUP, wrong placement of that Oring can cause real headaches..
Sponsored