Sponsored

The path that leads me to consider a Jeep JL Sport

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Test drove the 2-door Sport JL 8–Speed Automatic - love it... More refined than I had expected... Less road and wind noise than expected, and not as harsh on the road than expected. Actually thrilled. It is fire cracker red.

It has the hardtop and I found that the drip edge is extended all the way back to the top on the hardtop JL's. This means that cross bars can be mounted with enough separation to safely carry a kayak(s).

I saw a pumpkin on the lot. The color is nice. Must see in person - I have not seen an internet picture that truly captures the color.

A half an hour after I left the dealership several JL unlimited arrived and at least one has manual transmission. So, will get a chance to try a manual...
I've been through the journey you are considering. Let me tell you right now: Get a Rubicon.

I know you think all you want is a sport. I know you think it'll satisfy you. I also know by week 2 you'll take it offroad, and it will do great, but you'll start wanting lockers, and you'll start wanting that gear ratio, etc etc.

Order a nice 2 dr Rubicon with Leather and the upgraded sound system. Get the 5% under invoice and have a similar price to that sport. Enjoy the axel ratio which will make the 2dr screaming fast. Enjoy being able to answer when the 10 million people ask if its a Rubicon that yes, it's a Rubicon. Enjoy the resale value of the Rubicon. Enjoy the aggressive look. Go all in. Trust me.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Forgot to mention the steering takes a little getting used to. The mechanism feels tight but the steering (track of vehicle) tends to wander somewhat.
Some vagueness is normal however it can be exaggerated by high tire pressure. Something to check.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I've been through the journey you are considering. Let me tell you right now: Get a Rubicon.

I know you think all you want is a sport. I know you think it'll satisfy you. I also know by week 2 you'll take it offroad, and it will do great, but you'll start wanting lockers, and you'll start wanting that gear ratio, etc etc.

Order a nice 2 dr Rubicon with Leather and the upgraded sound system. Get the 5% under invoice and have a similar price to that sport. Enjoy the axel ratio which will make the 2dr screaming fast. Enjoy being able to answer when the 10 million people ask if its a Rubicon that yes, it's a Rubicon. Enjoy the resale value of the Rubicon. Enjoy the aggressive look. Go all in. Trust me.
?

He explicitly said he does not need overkill off-road capability. So why throw another eight or nine grand at it for no reason?

Not everyone needs a Rubicon, and that's perfectly alright. Some like buying the trim name, for some odd reason, and that's their choice. But it doesn't make sense to randomly try to sell someone up to a Rubicon they have little or no interest in, just because "dude trust me you'll love it".

I know it's a shocker, but for 95% of Wrangler buyers, they'll get the same enjoyment out of a Sport that they would a Rubicon. Few of you mall-crawlers off-road your Rubis harder than a non-Rubi could take anyway. :)

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Thanks all, there is a lot of info to process here...

A local dealer contacted my today and said that a 2-door Sport JL arrived with these options:

8–Speed Automatic Transmission
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
Air Conditioning
Black Freedom Top® 3–Piece Hard Top

I think it is the first 2-door Sport JL in the area - all the others have been Rubicons... Will get a look tomorrow.

I'm waiting for a standard shift Sport JL to arrive at another local dealer.

Thanks again for all your comments.
If you want a manual transmission utility vehicle, the Wrangler is one of the last choices around. It's the only remaining 2 door SUV. You should also consider how much the convertible aspect is worth to you. It's off-road prowess sounds overkill to what you need, and you will be paying for it.

Keep in mind that if you go 4 door, A/C is standard on the Sport. It's a good deal. I personally require the 2 door styling.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
?

He explicitly said he does not need overkill off-road capability. So why throw another eight or nine grand at it for no reason?

Not everyone needs a Rubicon, and that's perfectly alright. Some like buying the trim name, for some odd reason, and that's their choice. But it doesn't make sense to randomly try to sell someone up to a Rubicon they have little or no interest in, just because "dude trust me you'll love it".

I know it's a shocker, but for 95% of Wrangler buyers, they'll get the same enjoyment out of a Sport that they would a Rubicon. Few of you mall-crawlers off-road your Rubis harder than a non-Rubi could take anyway. :)
It doesn't matter if he never uses the extra off road goodies. You just get so much more with a Rubicon including better gear ratio, beefy aggressive tires, stronger components, better resale value, waaay more coolness factor...its worth 3x its premium.

I just built a Rubi with hard top, infotainment group, and auto. Its 42k which would probably be about 37k with the deals going on with orders. I bet thats 2-3k more than the sport. Its an absolute no brainer.

Trust me I was a Sport driver who tried to convince myself and the world that the sport was just as good, was all I needed, etc etc. I'll tell you right now - get the Rubicon. Forget other models of the wrangler even exist. 100% chance if you don't you will realize within one year I am right, and then you have to trade in and lose a ton of money.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't matter if he never uses the extra off road goodies. You just get so much more with a Rubicon including better gear ratio, beefy aggressive tires, stronger components, better resale value, waaay more coolness factor...its worth 3x its premium.

I just built a Rubi with hard top, infotainment group, and auto. Its 42k which would probably be about 37k with the deals going on with orders. I bet thats 2-3k more than the sport. Its an absolute no brainer.

Trust me I was a Sport driver who tried to convince myself and the world that the sport was just as good, was all I needed, etc etc. I'll tell you right now - get the Rubicon. Forget other models of the wrangler even exist. 100% chance if you don't you will realize within one year I am right, and then you have to trade in and lose a ton of money.
My entire post must have went straight over your head.

If you do not need ultra heavy duty off-road capability, one does not need to blow Rubicon money to keep up with the Joneses. If you just wanna roll around town and on light dirt roads on stock tires, you don't need the premium components. And no, you won't win it back on resale.

It only makes sense when it makes sense. It doesn't make sense for every buyers situation.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
My entire post must have went straight over your head.

If you do not need ultra heavy duty off-road capability, one does not need to blow Rubicon money to keep up with the Joneses. If you just wanna roll around town and on light dirt roads on stock tires, you don't need the premium components. And no, you won't win it back on resale.

It only makes sense when it makes sense. It doesn't make sense for every buyers situation.

I used to parrot the same stuff. Trust me, youll see the light one day.

Also my point about ordering one with the 5% under invoice deal and having it basically be the same price must have gone over yours.

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
Ummm, get a Rubi for basically the same price as a Sport? OK. Right. Better resale? Nope, you do not get back the premium you paid for the Rubi down the road. Sport wins.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Ummm, get a Rubi for basically the same price as a Sport? OK. Right. Better resale? Nope, you do not get back the premium you paid for the Rubi down the road. Sport wins.
You absolutely will get better resale value, I learned that the hard way. People out there wanting to buy a Wrangler want to buy a Rubicon or a Sahara, a "Brand" wrangler if you will. All the stories you hear about people getting what they paid for the Jeep, or even above, are for Saharas and Rubicons.

Like I said I was on team Sport for many years, but will never go back knowing what I know now.

OP: Imagine the difference between a base 4Runner and a TRD Pro. The TRD pro will get you the street cred and be sought after heavily compared to the boring base model, even thought the base model is plenty capable. Same concept here.

Sponsored

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
Sorry but you are wrong. Check any site that tracks prices paid for used vehicles. Sport Wranglers command a higher percentage of initial price than Rubicons by a significant margin. There is a thread on this somewhere on this site. Best resale is on Sport JKU.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Sorry but you are wrong. Check any site that tracks prices paid for used vehicles. Sport Wranglers command a higher percentage of initial price than Rubicons by a significant margin. There is a thread on this somewhere on this site. Best resale is on Sport JKU.
Not when you can get a Rubi for 5% under invoice.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
OP: Trust me these Sport lovers will throw all kinds of arguments at you that sound reasonable. i used to be one of them. Trust me and get the Rubi. Don't fall for the lure of the Sports slightly lower price (which isn't lower at all when you consider what it would take to build the sport to Rubi standards, plus lots of stuff you get on Rubi from the factory you cant get on Sport like automatic headlights etc).

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not when you can get a Rubi for 5% under invoice.
And what do you think people are paying for a Sport? MSRP? They're not.
Sponsored