The Only Bronco I'd Have...

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
My husband works for local utility and is the "EV guy" - has what he calls the "bird feeder" outside his office window where people traveling through stop to charge their vehicles. Yesterday he saw an old-school 1970s era Bronco plugged in, so of course he went to talk to the guy. The guy has replaced the gas engine with electric and is in the process of restoring the Bronco, as well. He shared his company's website and I gotta say.... if I had an extra $300k laying around I'd go see him.

https://www.velocityrestorations.com/for-sale/classic-ford-broncos/

To clarify, the one my husband saw was electric but I think it was new restore they were trying out. Most (all?) of the ones on the site are gas, I believe. And gorgeous. And pricey!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
I have to admit, I love them old Broncoā€™s. šŸ«£. Interesting to see theyā€™re putting an electric motor in these. For $300k Iā€™d buy some Jeeps.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, cool rest-mods... ridiculous prices... If I had won the Powerball, though, that '69 Ranger with the 5.0 Coyote might be mine... :)

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My husband works for local utility and is the "EV guy" - has what he calls the "bird feeder" outside his office window where people traveling through stop to charge their vehicles. Yesterday he saw an old-school 1970s era Bronco plugged in, so of course he went to talk to the guy. The guy has replaced the gas engine with electric and is in the process of restoring the Bronco, as well. He shared his company's website and I gotta say.... if I had an extra $300k laying around I'd go see him.

https://www.velocityrestorations.com/for-sale/classic-ford-broncos/
:crying:ā€” another one bites the dust, blasphemy, it wonā€™t be long before ā€œwhere have all the classics gone ā€œ. Want electric? there are plenty, donā€™t butcher another classic. Iā€™m just getting used to ā€œresto modsā€ .
Jeep Wrangler JL The Only Bronco I'd Have... 49320848-8E7F-4922-B8FD-27FA95DD1B4D

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I have to admit, I love them old Broncoā€™s. šŸ«£. Interesting to see theyā€™re putting an electric motor in these. For $300k Iā€™d buy some Jeeps.
I donā€™t think all of them are electric. The one my husband saw could have been a new idea they are trying out.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I was getting really nauseated at first until I read a bit closer on the Velocity site and discovered they are all internal combusted power trains. The EverReady bunny version must have been a Very special order one (possibly a one of a kind from them) . I'm sure their resto work is top notch but I think you could arrive at a comparable fit and finish for less money.
Bottom line is they are sweet old Gems that I would be thrilled to daily drive, just way out of my price league.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
I think this is a cool idea. I was looking into a few years back, turning some of my wifes familys old farm trucks (where are now yard art) into an EV. be fun around town and about all you would want to drive them.

The controller is always where I got hung up. I don't know any on the electrical side to build a board. There wasn't anything I could find to buy that would satisfy this requirement. So for now it died. Im' sure with the more and more these vehicles get produced, you will be able to buy everything online and just drop it into the vehicle and go.

BUT for $300k, I'll stick to my diesel. That is a lot of gallons I can buy.

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I was getting really nauseated at first until I read a bit closer on the Velocity site and discovered they are all internal combusted power trains. The EverReady bunny version must have been a Very special order one (possibly a one of a kind from them) . I'm sure their resto work is top notch but I think you could arrive at a comparable fit and finish for less money.
Bottom line is they are sweet old Gems that I would be thrilled to daily drive, just way out of my price league.
Yes, I think the one my husband saw was a new (maybe experimental) build. It has not been fully restored yet.

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I think this is a cool idea. I was looking into a few years back, turning some of my wifes familys old farm trucks (where are now yard art) into an EV. be fun around town and about all you would want to drive them.

The controller is always where I got hung up. I don't know any on the electrical side to build a board. There wasn't anything I could find to buy that would satisfy this requirement. So for now it died. Im' sure with the more and more these vehicles get produced, you will be able to buy everything online and just drop it into the vehicle and go.

BUT for $300k, I'll stick to my diesel. That is a lot of gallons I can buy.
They arenā€™t all electric. In fact, Iā€™m not sure any are (other than the one my husband saw). But the restored ones are gorgeousā€¦.again, if you had an extra $300k lying around.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I think the one my husband saw was a new (maybe experimental) build. It has not been fully restored yet.
It will be very nice no doubt.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, those are awesome!! I could never see myself spending more money on a car than I would my home, but they are nice...

FYI, in Northeast TN, a $300,000 home is a very nice home... 2,300+ Sq Ft, 4 bed, 3 bath, multi-car garage, etc... The most expensive home in the area belongs to a friend of mine, he recently listed it for $9.5mil and it's over 17,000 sq. ft. with 11 bathrooms...

To spend that much on a toy is unimaginable for me... But, if someone gifted it to me, I'd definitely drive it. :)

OP
OP
AndiS

AndiS

First Name
Andi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Wow, those are awesome!! I could never see myself spending more money on a car than I would my home, but they are nice...

FYI, in Northeast TN, a $300,000 home is a very nice home... 2,300+ Sq Ft, 4 bed, 3 bath, multi-car garage, etc... The most expensive home in the area belongs to a friend of mine, he recently listed it for $9.5mil and it's over 17,000 sq. ft. with 11 bathrooms...

To spend that much on a toy is unimaginable for me... But, if someone gifted it to me, I'd definitely drive it. :)
I hear that!!!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
$3ā€“400K resto mod not required , find a nice 302 preferably pre smog one, build the 302 with all performance parts, if not equipped do a C4 trans swap, lsdā€™s, lift, flares, wheels, tires. Good to go, with the bonus of the smile inducing lope of a performance cam. šŸ˜ƒ Add gingerbread as desired. Editā€”one catch 22 ā€” 9ā€ rear axle was post smog , not necessary but easier and cheaper to swap than the engine if desired. Check local smog lawsā€” smog check cut off is 75 here in Ca. Highly regret selling, the buyer has it and his fatherā€™s 6cyl 3spd half cab, just wisely moved from Ca to Atlanta Ga

Last edited:

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$3ā€“400K resto mod not required , find a nice 302 preferably pre smog one, build the 302 with all performance parts, if not equipped do a C4 trans swap, lsdā€™s, lift, flares, wheels, tires. Good to go, with the bonus of the smile inducing lope of a performance cam. šŸ˜ƒ Add gingerbread as desired. Editā€”one catch 22 ā€” 9ā€ rear axle was post smog , not necessary but easier and cheaper to swap than the engine if desired. Check local smog lawsā€” smog check cut off is 75 here in Ca. Highly regret selling, the buyer has it and his fatherā€™s 6cyl 3spd half cab, just wisely moved from Ca to Atlanta Ga
Yep, I have always said if I spotted the right one I would grab up either a 70s model Bronco, or a Willys MB. Well as the past 10 years have gone by, I now have 3 Jeeps to tinker with and its the handful I have and I'm content. If I had the previously mentioned vintage units and did a complete restore there is slim chance to none that I would take them out for serious wheeling. Too afraid to hurt em. Our Jeeps do it all, just a bit less nostalgic.
Sponsored