The Old Man (60) DIY build, Silver Bullet

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I am using the Ready Brake Elite tow bar with the loops. It was a pain in the ass because the loops are too high and tight to the bumper but Ready Brake (NSA) made custom tow loops at no extra charge. I know the Blue Ox works because another person I know has them, but Max3 told me they were changing the loops a few months back to an upgraded loop which should avoid tow bar clevis issues. Make sure you get the new ones, and yes it's the only options for Jeeps with winches that I found. The loops are fine, a little tough to install just because of limited access to the bolts internally, but do the loops BEFORE any winch plate. Once you install the winch though and put the bumper back on it's hard to get to those 4 inside bolts because the winch is in the way, but it can be done with some patience.

Yes you have to cut the bumper and skid plate, unless the new model tow loops don't require the skid plate to be cut. It wasn't hard, but I did go buy a Makita grinder cut off wheel tool at Home Depot for this. It has come in handy on numerous projects though. Max3 customer service is great by the way.
Thanks. Too
Late thought, the winch is already there.

Rusty’s winch plate will work with the BlueOx tow plate (they say it won’t, but lots of examples here in the forum of people who have done it and I’ve see. One in person) but I prefer the Maximus loops. Plus the the Maximus loops act as recovery points.
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Loving it!! Doing a great job

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
How noticeable are the Topsy Products brackets on the back of the top? I'm interested in them but your pictures make it look like they really stick out. Maybe it's just because your pictures are up close.

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
How noticeable are the Topsy Products brackets on the back of the top? I'm interested in them but your pictures make it look like they really stick out. Maybe it's just because your pictures are up close.
In my opinion you don't see them at all. I don't even know they are there and I am picky. Now maybe with a lighter colored top they would show a little more.

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Beautiful build! - More pictures and videos please, especially in action!

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Next moved on to A Pillar lights. Installed the Mopar A pillar brackets 82215427, then the Mopar 82215385AB 5" LED pillar lights. I added Lightronic M10 stainless locking nuts on the lamps to the bracket, sure they can take the mount and light, but there is no security for the pillar bracket bolts. I guess I could go under the hood and JB weld the bolts, but what if I need to remove. I will just shoot first and let them see the real light.

Install is super easy. Running wires is super easy, but again I have the aux light switches and ran these wires only under the hood to hookup. I did solder the wires and heatshrink unions. Those Mopar wire clips are crap. I do bitch about some of the quality in these units, but I can tell you one thing they do good on, it's grounding points. Jeep has ground points all over near the fusebox and relay box. Their wiring ease is top notch.

If anyone wonders these are bright and a flood, very wide flood. I angled them a little too the side as I like to see what's around me not in front, plenty of other lights for that.
DSC03450.JPG
DSC03451.JPG
DSC03453.JPG
DSC03454.JPG

View attachment 115671

DSC03430.JPG
Did you have to take the wiper cowl up to get the wires under the hood or did they just slide in the seam? I saw instrustions one guy did that required taking the wipers off and lifting the cowl.

Also, is there rubber insulation between the body and the mount?

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Next I put the Formfit hood protector on. Not the easiest to install, but they guarantee no paint damage. What I did not like was removing the Hydrosilex to install the glue pads. I only cleaned the exact mounting spot.

The black textured unit looks good, fits very well, and I being slightly blingy for an old man got the stainless steel bolt model, while it looks ok, there is not a lot of stainless on the JL. I think maybe black bolts would look better.

Not sure how much wind uplift this will give to throw bugs and rocks away, but oh well. Only one thing I am not keen on, I really like looking down the sleek JL hood when driving, now I have this black crack to look at and this protector. If it goes off, this will be the main reason, not the possible gawdy bling bling look.

Install tip, use a Sharpie like the instructions "show" on the paint, as when you alcohol rub the spot to glue down the install pads, the alcohol takes the Sharpie off the clear coat. It is a well thought out piece, they have 5 bumper pads so the tail of the protector cannot hit the hood, and they have a foam bulb strip up in the front so it cannot be pushed down on the leading edge of the hood.

Formfit model TG 7W18v

DSC03441.JPG
DSC03442.JPG
DSC03443.JPG
DSC03444.JPG
DSC03446.JPG
DSC03447.JPG
DSC03448.JPG
DSC03449.JPG
Do you still have this on your Jeep? If so, how has it held up? Have the adhesive mounts stayed in place?
Sponsored