dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Man I love how that looks! At least I think I do! :clap:
Edit: I guess the mounting pads stick on and then the bolts are to clamp to the mounts? From: https://www.formfithoodprotectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/TG-7W18-Rev1-July-10-2018.pdf

I think it would match some of the armor I'm doing...

:like:
right, the mounts stick on to the hood, then the bolts screw into the mounts. Plus it's bolted down under the hood latches. It's not going anywhere. The only thing I might like better is if the bolts matched the steel black bumper bolts. I may do that one day. OH it is removable, and they state that the stick on mounts do not damage paint. So it is removable.

Last edited:

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Hello Dan. This 55.5 YO is about to get his first Jeep Wranger (first Jeep all together). It just showed up as built today, now to wait for it to get through inspection and shipped. I will be doing some similar things myself - but I do have a daughter's boyfriend to help - he is actually a mechanic.

Question on those rear flood lights - are you worried about how they will hold up going off road? Too hard of a bounce on the rear and I would expect bye-bye light.

Walter

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello Dan. This 55.5 YO is about to get his first Jeep Wranger (first Jeep all together). It just showed up as built today, now to wait for it to get through inspection and shipped. I will be doing some similar things myself - but I do have a daughter's boyfriend to help - he is actually a mechanic.

Question on those rear flood lights - are you worried about how they will hold up going off road? Too hard of a bounce on the rear and I would expect bye-bye light.

Walter
ah heck no, they are bolted down using one of the steel bumper bolts. With an included bracket it actually lifts the light up and it is level with the bottom of the bumper and with the light only being a little over an inch thick it is higher than the hitch. Of course if you drag the bumper on a rock in an odd angle sure it could scrape and rip off. The pair with complete wiring harness was only 115 on sale so I am not too concerned. I could have mounted on the top of the bumper, there is room but it looked a little goofy, this looks sharp in my opinion..

TMJL2018

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Technology & part-time Google mechanic
Clubs

That is one awesome build! It looks great, all the way around. I never thought of the hood plate, but it looks really badass.

Sponsored

silverbullet

First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 JLU Rubi
Fellow Silver bullet! Those led's on the rear bumper look like they are gonna get smashed.

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fellow Silver bullet! Those led's on the rear bumper look like they are gonna get smashed.
well if they do, there will be other things that do, I don't think everyone realizes how high they are, how small the fixture is. I can say this, I don't flex, I do Colorado trails, but I don't purposely look for a 24" rock to see if I can make it over it. See with 60 comes a sensible sense of adventure, haha. Anyway at $115 a pair, not much to worry about if they do get scraped off.

Jungle31

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 and 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Next installed KC Hilites

J114262 - KC HiLiTES C-Series C2 Backup Flood Lights - Pair (87-18 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ, JK & JL) from Extreme Terrain.

This is a complete kit, wires, switches, fuse. I was going to tie this into the reverse light system at the back of the Jeep, but as not to compromise waterproof integrity I did not. I ran the included wires thru the passenger rear wheel liner onto the frame all the way up into the engine compartment by the battery. I have the tow package which I am so thankful for with the auxiliary switches. If you order one thing, order that. Also seems some are unaware but the 4 switched outlets have their wires under the hood by the relay box which made for MEGA EASY wiring. I hooked up to Aux 2.

Look at my pics, I should charge for this but they look as if they were custom made for my JL, fit like a glove, bracket even has a lift which levels the light right at the bottom of my steel bumper.

The added light is perfect, you could use this in parking lots as it's not blinding, but it adds light to where the backup camera can show a perfect picture in the rear.

I love these.
DSC03415 - Copy.JPG
DSC03416 - Copy.JPG
DSC03417 - Copy.JPG
DSC03418 - Copy.JPG
DSC03421 - Copy.JPG
DSC03424 - Copy.JPG
DSC03440 - Copy.JPG

Dan, I loved your solution to the reverse lights. I did the exact same thing and love the results. Each light can be removed with one bolt and a plug when I'm wheeling and makes an incredible difference at night.

48429594_10213977188687194_8772766281729310720_o.jpg

49051440_10213977188967201_4608323303847755776_o.jpg

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dan, I loved your solution to the reverse lights. I did the exact same thing and love the results. Each light can be removed with one bolt and a plug when I'm wheeling and makes an incredible difference at night.

48429594_10213977188687194_8772766281729310720_o.jpg

49051440_10213977188967201_4608323303847755776_o.jpg
thanks, they are not the brightest, but definitely light up the rear enough to see clearly what's back there.

Sponsored

lbau317

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Nice build! Thanks for the great pictures too!
How do you like the winch? I like the aluminum solenoid housing, much better then the plastic ones out there.

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice build! Thanks for the great pictures too!
How do you like the winch? I like the aluminum solenoid housing, much better then the plastic ones out there.
Honestly I have not had a chance to use the winch, but as far as looks I found none better. The LED light on the rope is pretty cool, and the wireless works good. The only issue I had is with the JL steel bumper I had to add an internal hawse fairlead because the rope would scrape on the bumper cutout, now if that's because the winch sits lower or the winch plate sits lower I am not sure since I have nothing to compare it to. For the money I like it. Didn't want to spend Warn prices since I won't be winching that much I hope.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Honestly I have not had a chance to use the winch, but as far as looks I found none better. The LED light on the rope is pretty cool, and the wireless works good. The only issue I had is with the JL steel bumper I had to add an internal hawse fairlead because the rope would scrape on the bumper cutout, now if that's because the winch sits lower or the winch plate sits lower I am not sure since I have nothing to compare it to. For the money I like it. Didn't want to spend Warn prices since I won't be winching that much I hope.
I have almost the same set up but used a Rusty’s winch plate. I did get stuck in the mud in Sunday, but there were no trees within reach to winch with. Fortunately a kind soul came by and yanked me out with my snatch strap.

As far as the Maximus tow looks go, I think I’m going to use those for my BlueOx towbar. How much of a pain are they to install? Do you have to cut your bumper or skid plate to install? Or both?

lbau317

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Great to hear, mine will arrive tomorrow, same thing, didn't want to pay Warn prices. Thanks for the response!

OP
OP

dannko

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have almost the same set up but used a Rusty’s winch plate. I did get stuck in the mud in Sunday, but there were no trees within reach to winch with. Fortunately a kind soul came by and yanked me out with my snatch strap.

As far as the Maximus tow looks go, I think I’m going to use those for my BlueOx towbar. How much of a pain are they to install? Do you have to cut your bumper or skid plate to install? Or both?
I am using the Ready Brake Elite tow bar with the loops. It was a pain in the ass because the loops are too high and tight to the bumper but Ready Brake (NSA) made custom tow loops at no extra charge. I know the Blue Ox works because another person I know has them, but Max3 told me they were changing the loops a few months back to an upgraded loop which should avoid tow bar clevis issues. Make sure you get the new ones, and yes it's the only options for Jeeps with winches that I found. The loops are fine, a little tough to install just because of limited access to the bolts internally, but do the loops BEFORE any winch plate. Once you install the winch though and put the bumper back on it's hard to get to those 4 inside bolts because the winch is in the way, but it can be done with some patience.

Yes you have to cut the bumper and skid plate, unless the new model tow loops don't require the skid plate to be cut. It wasn't hard, but I did go buy a Makita grinder cut off wheel tool at Home Depot for this. It has come in handy on numerous projects though. Max3 customer service is great by the way.
Sponsored