Sponsored

The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
This topic has been brought up every winter season. Not sure why, as nothing in the design of the Jeep has changed. The recessed lights get packed up very easy and heated lenses will only help so much. Look at the pic that LoosleyHeldPlans posted, halogens wouldn’t melt that.
This is my take as well. I'd like to design some covers I can pop on when I know it's gonna be bad

Do the fog lights help at all in these situations ?.... I know they are LED also, but do they get packed as well ?
If you check out the photo I posted, the stock LeD actually faired worse than the main lights

If you are serious about not having creature comforts. It would be no big deal to get out every once in a while and clean off those LED's. during a blizzard.
sure, but it's less safe to do so than not and since the accumulation is slow, it sneaks up on you. Check out the photo I posted. I had no clue that had happened as most of the trip was on lighted interstate.
Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Can probably route ducts from the heater to the headlights. Example get some dryer ducts from Home Depot and tape them to your vents inside the Jeep. Roll the windows down and route the ducts alongside the hood and alongside the sides and bend the ends so they aim at your headlights and turn signals and tail lights. Turn on your heater and you’ll have heat blowing at all lights for safety. Some dryer ducts and duct tape. Done. Under $100 too. Another more challenging but maybe better solution would be to plum coolant lines past each light. The heat will warm the lights. About 50 feet on coolant hoses duct taped to the Jeep. Just tape each passing hose on each lense for heating. Better yet both. Run coolant hoses and dryer ducts around the outside use extra duct tape because of high winds and thieves.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I’m loving my Jeep—so everyone please don’t dogpile me, but I’ve got a hot-take on the LED headlight package:

It’s dangerous in snow. I can’t believe it even got DOT approval.

i had to drive through a blizzard the other night. But never fear, I have a Rubicon! Right!? Wrong. Within minutes I was driving blind. The LED headlights (which are fantastic otherwise) were COMPLETELY packed with snow. I couldn’t even see the reflectors on the sides of the road. I kept having to pull over to ‘unpack’ them.

DoI need to spend an additional $800 on a pair of heated headlights to drive safely during a snowstorm?

I think this is an epic fail on Jeep’s part. ‘A million miles of testing’ didn’t reveal that the recessed headlights were vulnerable to being packed with snow when coupled with LED lights?

Hope much is the LED package? How much more would it have cost FCA to include heating elements? About $50.
I am thinking a safety recall through the DOT is warranted. Drove through many blizzards in my day with my unstoppable 1997 TJ with the "Hot" Wagner manufactured factory halogens. Never a problem seeing in the dark.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I am thinking a safety recall through the DOT is warranted. Drove through many blizzards in my day with my unstoppable 1997 TJ with the "Hot" Wagner manufactured factory halogens. Never a problem seeing in the dark.
'"Subime" Hilarious right according to your emoji.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
How long before you all decide to sue because Jeep didn't include the safest most up-to-date "safety" equipment?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Can probably route ducts from the heater to the headlights.

Example get some dryer ducts from Home Depot and tape them to your vents inside the Jeep. Roll the windows down and route the ducts alongside the hood and alongside the sides and bend the ends so they aim at your headlights and turn signals and tail lights. Turn on your heater and you’ll have heat blowing at all lights for safety. Some dryer ducts and duct tape. Done. Under $100 too.

Another more challenging but maybe better solution would be to plum coolant lines past each light. The heat will warm the lights. About 50 feet on coolant hoses duct taped to the Jeep. Just tape each passing hose on each lense for heating. Better yet both. Run coolant hoses and dryer ducts around the outside use extra duct tape because of high winds and thieves.
Paging @Tredsdert

OP
OP
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ Rubi, 2012 JK Rubi, 2023 JLU Rubi
It is. What I'm reading is that unless Jeep installs million candlepower headlights capable of all things for all people some people consider it dangerous.
…or Jeep could spend $100 to ensure their LED lights work. Seriously, being able to drive safely during modest snowfall should be a minimal standard.

million candlepower is clearly excessive, but 2 candles is just as clearly inadequate.

You may joke, but this IS the kind of thing that can lead to a lawsuit.

to be clear:

Duty + known problem + easy solution not implemented = negligence.

negligence + damages = winning lawsuit

widespread damages + eager lawyers = class action lawsuit

And that’s it, 3 years worth of tort law in a nutshell.😇

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
…or Jeep could spend $100 to ensure their LED lights work. Seriously, being able to drive safely during modest snowfall should be a minimal standard.

million candlepower is clearly excessive, but 2 candles is just as clearly inadequate.

You may joke, but this IS the kind of thing that can lead to a lawsuit.

to be clear:

Duty + known problem + easy solution not implemented = negligence.

negligence + damages = winning lawsuit

widespread damages + eager lawyers = class action lawsuit

And that’s it, 3 years worth of tort law in a nutshell.😇
You're a lawyers dream. 🤣

OP
OP
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're a lawyers dream. 🤣
I’m a recovering attorney. I made a good living suing large companies.

FCA is a big target with deep pockets and a mediocre safety record; THEY are a lawyer’s dream! 😈

Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Unsure if anyone mentioned the Oracle heated Oculus led's yet as our JL came with halogen which was always dangerous at night as they are simply the lowest powered halogens ever made so these were the first upgrade
Perhaps swap them out and sell the oem ones to make half back ?
They do work great for light and snow
Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 5839-111_AD_1024x1024

Unsure why this post got so ugly so fast so I didn't read through the 15 pages and someone else may have already posted this option

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’m a recovering attorney. I made a good living suing large companies.

FCA is a big target with deep pockets and a mediocre safety record; THEY are a lawyer’s dream! 😈
I have reached out to an attorney to see what it would take to start a class action.

• Sad
Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unsure why this post got so ugly so fast….
Because the “Jeep can do no wrong” anti-innovation crowd chimed in.

yes, those headlights are cool. The JWSpeaker heated headlights are effective in cold weather as well.

My only point was that, due to the recessed headlight design, Jeep LED’s should be heated from the factory.

Hilarity ensued.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Because the “Jeep can do no wrong” anti-innovation crowd chimed in.

yes, those headlights are cool. The JWSpeaker heated headlights are effective in cold weather as well.

My only point was that, due to the recessed headlight design, Jeep LED’s should be heated from the factory.

Hilarity ensued.
I never had led lights before and the JL was the first I needed to upgrade so desperately and when researching I discovered the icing problem so....
Went with the heated Oculus which were just coming out and so never experienced the icing and snow issue first hand - your right though, common sense to just do this at the factory for sure. Stupid expensive for an item that should have been standard.

OP
OP
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have reached out to an attorney to see what it would take to start a class action.
You’ll need damages high enough to warrant the expense/risk of suing. Unless you’ve been in a major accident, he/she probably won’t be interested.
Sponsored