Sponsored

The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow.

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ Rubi, 2012 JK Rubi, 2023 JLU Rubi
I’m loving my Jeep—so everyone please don’t dogpile me, but I’ve got a hot-take on the LED headlight package:

It’s dangerous in snow. I can’t believe it even got DOT approval.

i had to drive through a blizzard the other night. But never fear, I have a Rubicon! Right!? Wrong. Within minutes I was driving blind. The LED headlights (which are fantastic otherwise) were COMPLETELY packed with snow. I couldn’t even see the reflectors on the sides of the road. I kept having to pull over to ‘unpack’ them.

I think this is an epic fail on Jeep’s part. ‘A million miles of testing’ didn’t reveal that the recessed headlights were vulnerable to being packed with snow when coupled with LED lights?

How much is the LED package? $1,200!? How much more would it have cost FCA to include heating elements? About $50.

** EDIT: Geez! Seventeen pages! (and counting!)**

Here’s a concise summary of all those posts, for those of you that don’t want to read through all the malarkey.

1. Apply wax or rainx to the headlight lenses.
- I purchased some rainx plastic coating and applied it to one headlight. I’m curious to see if it fares better than the untreated one.​
**Update: Completely ineffective **

2. (Most likely the best answer) install a pair of halogen accessory lights.
- ensure they’re aimed low to hopefully avoid blinding other motorists or pissing off Johnny Law.​
- some claimed that high power led’s, such as Squadrens, get hot enough to melt snow. (But I still think halogens are the safest bet.)​
**Edit: lights added *
Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 79DA37A7-AEC7-4497-8FF5-666317567C42
Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 00D6D093-6415-41A4-B74D-BDBC7A2E607D
**Update #2: Proof of concept
Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 61690261-70E0-4C21-AD68-7FE0DDC10B76

Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 96F59190-8E15-4912-B362-D8A2DC7D1CE1
Even during a mild daytime snowstorm, the stock LED headlights and fog lights were rendered useless. Only the halogen accessory lights continued to project useable light.​

3. There was a lively, yet ultimately fruitless, discussion about what Jeep should do. Folks landed in one of four camps:
- Jeep should have heated LED’s​
- Jeep should offer heated LED’s​
- Folks who don’t want to pull over to manually clear their headlights are p*ssies​
- Jeep is perfect, if you criticize them in any regard, you’re a communist who pisses on the flag.​

4. There was an even less useful discussion on FCA’s potential legal exposure.
- nothing useful came from that discussion.​

5. For snow use, yellow tinted fogs are best.
**Edit: I tinted the KC covers yellow
Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 04DDFD13-19D5-49C5-A353-537F0D21425B

6. Folks from New Jersey don’t like Utahns
- Your Moab privileges are hereby revoked.​

…and that’s it, everything else was meaningless porch barking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

There are lots of things that indicate Jeep doesn't fully consider how its Wrangler model is truly used:
  1. Non-IP-rated keyfob
  2. Heated seats but not cooled
  3. Lack of vinyl-flooring option (until 2023)
  4. Lack of heated LEDs (tbh, the fact that we have to pay extra for LED headlights on a $40K+ vehicle in the first place)

The list goes on.

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
Don't drive in blizzards... considering leds don't get as warm as halogens that may be the cause but when it's snowing heavily or anything I stay put. They probably knew just were to cheap just my opinion

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Wonder if one of the kajillion aftermarket Jeep parts companies could invent a snap-in translucent shell/plug that would make the lights flush (essentially just blocking off the recess) with the grille?

Probably wouldn't be the most ideal solution and might limit or scatter the light a little, but it'd certainly help to keep the ice and snow from accumulating in front of the headlights, and could be easily removed after the winter.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Wonder if one of the kajillion aftermarket Jeep parts companies could invent a snap-in translucent shell/plug that would make the lights flush (essentially just blocking off the recess) with the grille?

Probably wouldn't be the most ideal solution and might limit or scatter the light a little, but it'd certainly help to keep the ice and snow from accumulating in front of the headlights, and could be easily removed after the winter.
I was going to suggest the plastic covers, but you beat me to it.

SonofaSeabee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Diesel

Snap-ins would work even for the just the winter. Make it a part of ones winterizing process.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I'll add that the LED reverse lights are worthless.
They’re only worthless when people use them for unintended purposes. They’re not there for you to see. They’re there for you to be seen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rusty Shovel

Rusty Shovel

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 2005 TJ Rubi, 2012 JK Rubi, 2023 JLU Rubi
They’re only worthless when people use them for unintended purposes. They’re not there for you to see. They’re there for you to be seen.
umm…we’ll just have to peaceably disagree on that one.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I’m loving my Jeep—so everyone please don’t dogpile me, but I’ve got a hot-take on the LED headlight package:

It’s dangerous in snow. I can’t believe it even got DOT approval.

i had to drive through a blizzard the other night. But never fear, I have a Rubicon! Right!? Wrong. Within minutes I was driving blind. The LED headlights (which are fantastic otherwise) were COMPLETELY packed with snow. I couldn’t even see the reflectors on the sides of the road. I kept having to pull over to ‘unpack’ them.

DoI need to spend an additional $800 on a pair of heated headlights to drive safely during a snowstorm?

I think this is an epic fail on Jeep’s part. ‘A million miles of testing’ didn’t reveal that the recessed headlights were vulnerable to being packed with snow when coupled with LED lights?

Hope much is the LED package? How much more would it have cost FCA to include heating elements? About $50.
Jeep Wrangler JL The OEM LED light package is dangerous in snow. 1673654025728

dfwmountainbiker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 (TJ) Wrangler
I really want the Diode Dynamics lights, heated. I didn't think I'd need heated LED over my current halogens until recently.

We took the JT back from West Colorado to the Metro - driving it instead of the Subaru in case we were caught in "real snow". 12" snow in a few hours, shut down highway for hours. FWD & some AWD drive cars were dead stopped. Jeep & halogens kept us going during that surprise. I may upgrade to Sylvania halogens bulbs for a while.

Diode CEO mentioned they'd love to make heated, but don't have the engineering capabilities currently (mentioned in their release livestream of the Elite Jeep lights). If the Oracle's didn't have that weird blue line on their LED's, I'd consider it.