Sponsored

The new soft top.....what were they thinking?

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Best Top makes a great cleaner for the premium tops. I use an RV type (brush on a stick) suds it up and rinse it off , works really great. They also make a fine cleaner/polish for the soft windows.
Sponsored

Rubicon Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2017 RAM Power Wagon, 2018 Rubicon - 2D
I've had mine through a drive through car wash a couple of times now...no leaks or drips. I cannot find any gaps. I do wonder about the little levers that are supposed to lock/unlock the top when folded down. Mine seem to do nothing.
BG
Those levers will "Lock" your top in the down position. You have to retract the top all the way, sometimes holding it down with one hand while moving the lever to the Lock position.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

do you have a hard top as well? i noticed on another owners hard top (removed) that there is a gap between the doors and the roll bar which mine does not have (soft top). mine has some plastic type bar that takes up the gap. if that's what you're referring to. so maybe you have to add that to yours. ive washed mine and no leaks at all. no gaps either.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have a question.....I have owned my 2013 JK since new and never had any concerns with the soft top.
Just bought a 2018 Rubi 2dr. Checking out the new soft top, I noticed there is a very large gap between the top and the side windows, behind the side window, that you can put your hand right up inside the interior of the JL. Doesn't seem to water tight and especially if you have to use it in the winter, and use a power washer! Are they all like this?
I would think they would have added some velcro just to help that area out or continued the rail on the side windows down a little further.......
I would like to know how the softop is holding up for the rest of you and are you getting water inside your JL?
@WLFMOON : as you requested, my soft top is fine. But that's not going to help you.

Perhaps we should first rule out any possibility that your install differs from that which is required. Please don't misread me. It's entirely possible that you're doing everything proper and that your top has defect.

I must admit that I simply cannot conceptualize on my rig the large gap you describe above.

The following link will not only assure that you are following spec, but give us a universal reference point upon which to "talk the same language" to troubleshoot your issues.

Cheers

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/sun-shade-for-jl-wrangler.6339/

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Whatā€™s the best way to clean your premium soft top? Iā€™m afraid to take it through a car wash. But wasnā€™t sure if I can just wash it at home with normal car wash soap.
Just rinse it. Scrubbing it will wear it faster.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Just rinse it. Scrubbing it will wear it faster.
Use a 100% boars hair brush with convertible top cleaner by Mothers. The soft top on my TJ lasted 10 years using this cleaning method. See my profile pic.

frank-o

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 SOT, JLUR SOT, Prior JLUR Sting, 10thA JKUR
No gaps on mine and no leaks whatsoever. Of course, I wouldn't recommend using a power washer full force near the windows' attachment points - top, sides and bottom - to the soft top. The only way that "a very large gap between the top and the side windows, behind the side window," would be possible is if the guide rod at the top of each window isn't engaged in the rail, and if the side and bottom retainer tabs aren't engaged in their respective slots.
I was thinking a piece was missing (the surrounds that bolt up around the doors) or not engaged properlyā€¦

Sponsored