Sponsored

The new soft top.....what were they thinking?

WLFMOON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
I have a question.....I have owned my 2013 JK since new and never had any concerns with the soft top.
Just bought a 2018 Rubi 2dr. Checking out the new soft top, I noticed there is a very large gap between the top and the side windows, behind the side window, that you can put your hand right up inside the interior of the JL. Doesn't seem to water tight and especially if you have to use it in the winter, and use a power washer! Are they all like this?
I would think they would have added some velcro just to help that area out or continued the rail on the side windows down a little further.......
I would like to know how the softop is holding up for the rest of you and are you getting water inside your JL?
Sponsored

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have a question.....I have owned my 2013 JK since new and never had any concerns with the soft top.
Just bought a 2018 Rubi 2dr. Checking out the new soft top, I noticed there is a very large gap between the top and the side windows, behind the side window, that you can put your hand right up inside the interior of the JL. Doesn't seem to water tight and especially if you have to use it in the winter, and use a power washer! Are they all like this?
I would think they would have added some velcro just to help that area out or continued the rail on the side windows down a little further.......
I would like to know how the softop is holding up for the rest of you and are you getting water inside your JL?
I have had mine for a little over a month. No water has gotten in to it. I washed it with a hose but not a power washer yet and nothing got inside.

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
Power washed twice. So far so good. Better than TJ zippers.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
JK soft tops are tighter flaps down than JL softtops .

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
No gaps on mine and no leaks whatsoever. Of course, I wouldn't recommend using a power washer full force near the windows' attachment points - top, sides and bottom - to the soft top. The only way that "a very large gap between the top and the side windows, behind the side window," would be possible is if the guide rod at the top of each window isn't engaged in the rail, and if the side and bottom retainer tabs aren't engaged in their respective slots.

Last edited:

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I power washed mine 5-6 times since I got it in July.. not a single time it has water gotten inside.

nova99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5 50i Black Sapphire, 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Duramax Ebony Twilight, 2018 JLUR Bright White
Hard tops are great

hipfan39

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK 2 door willys, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Welder
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed this while walking a dealership lot! My concern was not the water leaking. As there is enough overhang on the roof too be watertight.
But my concern was, anybody walking by can reach in (not steal anything cause locations are too far to reach). But some punck reaching in too grab and yank the side windows down for damage

Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I would think if some punk was going to damage it, there would be a knife involved , not looking for a gap. Mine has never leaked and went through brushless car wash.

bikepsych

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I've had mine through a drive through car wash a couple of times now...no leaks or drips. I cannot find any gaps. I do wonder about the little levers that are supposed to lock/unlock the top when folded down. Mine seem to do nothing.
BG

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I've had mine through a drive through car wash a couple of times now...no leaks or drips. I cannot find any gaps. I do wonder about the little levers that are supposed to lock/unlock the top when folded down. Mine seem to do nothing.
BG
Lock them down and then try to put the top up.

But I agree, they don’t stop the top from bouncing around, even when locked.

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
What’s the best way to clean your premium soft top? I’m afraid to take it through a car wash. But wasn’t sure if I can just wash it at home with normal car wash soap.
Sponsored