Sponsored

The new JL Rubicon, the ultimate mall crawler?!?

New JL Rubicon owners, how do you plan on using your new Rubicon?

• Total voters

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
First 3-5 years, light to somewhat more difficult trails. Then, once paid off and out of warranty, game on! I’ll be dragging skids and rockers over everything :)
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm amazed how many people pony up several thousand extra for the Rubicon, just to get functionality they don't need, or even want. You're not paying for extra luxury anything with a Rubi. That 4:1 transfer case, those lockers and swaybar disconnects, those are what you're paying for.

But it's your money (or the banks), spend it as you please!
Don't forget the hood sticker that says Rubicon! :captain:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I'm amazed how many people pony up several thousand extra for the Rubicon, just to get functionality they don't need, or even want. You're not paying for extra luxury anything with a Rubi. That 4:1 transfer case, those lockers and swaybar disconnects, those are what you're paying for.

But it's your money (or the banks), spend it as you please!
When you look into everything that actually comes with a Rubicon, it is cheaper to order that version than to add it yourself. D44 front and rear with lockers and different gears, high line fenders, sway bay disconnect, and the better transfer case. All those things purchased and installed separate after the fact would be a lot more, not to mention a Rubicon will have a much better resell value down the road compared to another Jeep with aftermarket additions to be at the same level.

However I do agree that a lot of people do pay for it without actually ever having any desire to use those things, and would do fine with a sport or a Sahara and not need to add all those on aftermarket. In those,cases it is a waste of money outside of the better resell value.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I'm amazed at how many people buy a Corvette and never race it ... wait, no I'm not.

Jeeps are toys for all ages. Play how you like but don't expect everyone's toys to be the same or to be used the same.

That's all part of the fun. Cheers.

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I'm amazed at how many people buy a Corvette and never race it ... wait, no I'm not.

Jeeps are toys for all ages. Play how you like but don't expect everyone's toys to be the same or to be used the same.

Exactly

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer

Corvette is one thing. Buying the track ready Z06 and driving your kids to school in it only is about the same as the life majority of Rubicons sold.

99.9% of people who don't own a Wrangler assume the Rubicon is the nicest version sold. The functionality of it is irreverent.

"What's a locker?"

OP
OP
Tunesoul

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Corvette is one thing. Buying the track ready Z06 and driving your kids to school in it only is about the same as the life majority of Rubicons sold.

99.9% of people who don't own a Wrangler assume the Rubicon is the nicest version sold. The functionality of it is irreverent.

"What's a locker?"
Nice analogy. I totally agree...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
When you look into everything that actually comes with a Rubicon, it is cheaper to order that version than to add it yourself. D44 front and rear with lockers and different gears, high line fenders, sway bay disconnect, and the better transfer case. All those things purchased and installed separate after the fact would be a lot more, not to mention a Rubicon will have a much better resell value down the road compared to another Jeep with aftermarket additions to be at the same level.

However I do agree that a lot of people do pay for it without actually ever having any desire to use those things, and would do fine with a sport or a Sahara and not need to add all those on aftermarket. In those,cases it is a waste of money outside of the better resell value.
I feel like the resale value police but I don't know why there is this perception that Rubicons have better resale value.

Yes, aftermarket parts have almost no resale value so if you are going to "build" a Rubicon it will be a poor investment.

But if you don't need all those things and never add them the Sport is going to have a better resale percentage-wise than a Rubicon.

Sponsored

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I chose the Rubicon over the sport even though the sport is probably more jeep than I need or would ever use.

I felt with Rubicon with my added options I wouldn't have to do much to it for my liking, just a lift and 35's. With a sport I'd have to put much more money into it. Stock for stock the Rubicon looks badass compared to the sport and if I want to do anything more than light trailing it's ready for it.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I chose the Rubicon over the sport even though the sport is probably more jeep than I need or would ever use.

I felt with Rubicon with my added options I wouldn't have to do much to it for my liking, just a lift and 35's. With a sport I'd have to put much more money into it. Stock for stock the Rubicon looks badass compared to the sport and if I want to do anything more than light trailing it's ready for it.
Right on. It's a good value for how 35-ready it is. I myself wouldn't entirely trust the Sport/Sahara's Dana 30 with extra large tires, so Rubicon wins there too.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
it’s my daily driver, plan on it being until it’s paid off then maybe I’ll take my wife’s current forester and that will be my daily.
Won’t put it through too much abuse until then. For now plan on moderate stuff. Eventually plan on moving back out west and use it as my off-road rig primarily. That’s 5-10 years down the road. Plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time so no rush quite yet.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
it’s my daily driver, plan on it being until it’s paid off then maybe I’ll take my wife’s current forester and that will be my daily.
Won’t put it through too much abuse until then. For now plan on moderate stuff. Eventually plan on moving back out west and use it as my off-road rig primarily. That’s 5-10 years down the road. Plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time so no rush quite yet.
Pretty much mirrors my plan. First summer is gonna be light dirt roads only. Maybe a couple easy wheeling trails. Gotta let it be nice and new for a second. Year two will probably involve a mild lift and tires. It'll remain a daily driver for a couple years.

The end goal is for it to be a built offroad pig in five or seven years time, while telling people I'm the original owner, with photos of the stock days and all. It'll hopefully slowly go through the whole metamorphosis with me.
Sponsored