Sponsored

The new JL Rubicon, the ultimate mall crawler?!?

New JL Rubicon owners, how do you plan on using your new Rubicon?

• Total voters

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Bunch of blue bloods on the Jeep forums these days. Brand new $55K Rubicons getting used as trail beaters fresh of the dealer lots. You can tell the economy is doing well.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well I can honestly say that I didn't buy my Rubicon for the stickers, as I took them all off! Mostly it's a daily driver, but I live in Colorado and it's had three trips to the trails in the five weeks I've owned it. Unfortunately deep snow is preventing me from doing many of the trails. I'm a newbie and taking it slow, and I'll probably never do super risky extreme rock crawling type stuff, but moderate trails have been fun so far and I look forward to improving my skills and knowledge.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Well I can honestly say that I didn't buy my Rubicon for the stickers, as I took them all off! Mostly it's a daily driver, but I live in Colorado and it's had three trips to the trails in the five weeks I've owned it. Unfortunately deep snow is preventing me from doing many of the trails. I'm a newbie and taking it slow, and I'll probably never do super risky extreme rock crawling type stuff, but moderate trails have been fun so far and I look forward to improving my skills and knowledge.
Kind of the same here. I just started setting mine up, been busy. My plan isnt to seek out crazy crap, but if something comes up that is reasonable I want the jeep set up to do it. I have a sweet swimming hole that has two semi risky spots my TJ could do with relative ease so I need to be able to do that to please my son. lol

Been wheeling for years so I know what I'm doing, pretty much most of the stuff in moab is pretty doable, same for the rubicon. But both places have stuff to test METAL though. The crazy stuff isnt for me. If jeeping was my only passion (read as expensive) I might try the more expensive obstacles. lol But it's not, I have a dirt bike habit to support also, as well as a son in college, and more. lol

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I love to camp, hunt, and fish and have many years experience wheeling. I belong to a jeep club, several veterans groups, and veteran motorcycle riding groups and enjoy those kind of group activities and get togethers but nothing compares to just being able to get to a location where you are all alone. My jeeps have always been the means for me to reach some place that for at least a little while no one else is anywhere to be found.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
As a daily driver it will probably never see mud. Unless my drive way has mud. Maybe if passing some roadwork. Its a STREET PRINCESS. And I'm good with that.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
COVID has slowed me down getting involved with a local group. Mine doubles as a winter commuter too. I've got my air compressor now, so I just need to figure out how to join a local group without FB. I haven't really wheeled since college in a 92 XJ in the middle of nowhere UP Michigan.
I definitely bought it to get out there. It still gets garaged every night though. . .

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
How do you honestly plan on using your new Wrangler Jl Rubicon?
Wife's 2020 Recon has never been off-road and probably never will. It's her DD, she makes the $535/mo payment, she's happy with it and that's all that matters.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I find this thread fascinating.

The poll is suggesting that 71%-ish of Rubicon owners (including myself) do NOT need the capabilities of a Rubicon but purchased it anyway (“Never offroad + Fire roads = 71%). I have said before that I purchased my Rubicon for its looks more than anything else and I am now guessing, based on this poll, that this is probably true for the vast majority of Rubi owners. Fascinating.

mtu1293

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2016 WK2 75th addt, 2014 Ram 2500, 46 CJ2A, 60s CJ6
Bought my 2021 JLUR new end of Sept. Second day of owning was using at some of my construction projects, the larger of which consists of all clay. So it gets used a lot in 4x4 - and we are hauling 80k yards of clay for a pond closure project. It was about 2 weeks old and I was up north hunting on the old logging trails - even tested how good the doors seal crossing some flooded roads.

1 month oldish - now on 35s, and winch bumper just arrived. Also need to seal up them stupid gaps between flares and body - stupid mud and rocks getting suck in there. First scheduled wheeling event isn't till January so have time to get a few more odds n ends.

Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Have a JLUR on order. Have never owned a Jeep before but I was just wowed by a Rubicon that I saw on the road this summer. I kept thinking that had to be my next vehicle someday.

Well....I decided someday came in October when I placed an order lol.

I really don't have any intention of going off-road. I'd love to try a nice, easy trail sometime and I'm about 4 hours away from Rausch Creek in PA so maybe it'll happen. But it'll be a little while as I'm struggling with the notion of taking a 50K+ vehicle out to get banged up.

Mostly I just thought it was cool looking and love the possibilities it gives me for summer fun while still being more than capable in the winter.

Frankly, the poll probably shows typical American consumerism lol. I mean,. people don't need $150 sneakers or shoes and could walk/run just fine in $40 sneakers too. But they buy the more expensive, brand name shoes because they look cool. Could say the same about all kinds of things.

And clearly Jeep knows it as they've worked hard to make Jeeps more appealing to a bigger consumer base over the years. And they're obviously doing a good job at that :)

The poll is suggesting that 71%-ish of Rubicon owners (including myself) do NOT need the capabilities of a Rubicon but purchased it anyway (“Never offroad + Fire roads = 71%). I have said before that I purchased my Rubicon for its looks more than anything else and I am now guessing, based on this poll, that this is probably true for the vast majority of Rubi owners. Fascinating.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

It's not really anything new in the Jeep world... I bet the percentage is much higher than 71%. Most Rubicon owners don't care enough about it to be on this forum. This is for enthusiasts, whether they offroad or not.

cbac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2, 2017 VW Touareg Wolfsberg
The Rubicon will be my wife's. She wanted something that sits a little higher and is fun to drive, and I wanted something to play with. So we ordered a Rubicon. Not saying we won't take it on the beach, but we don't really have dirt roads here, much less fire roads.
Sponsored