Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler SS Sting Gray/Heritage Tan w/ 6spd, HT, Tech Pkg & Cold Pkg
Occupation
EMT/Instructor
Hey Gang,

So I guess this is the section of the forum where we talk about what we ordered and why? So mine is probably going to be a little different than most peoples story because I have absolutely no plans of off-roading my Wrangler and pray to god I never run into a situation where I have to use the full capacity of my vehicles capability. I've never owned a Jeep let alone a Chrysler/Mopar product. My vehicles of past have been european roadsters and AC VWs from the 60's-70's, american lead-sleds from the 50's - 60's, and purchased-new either Toyota Prius's or Ford products.

This complete change in course is coming about from the desire of owning one vehicle that can do the job of three. My current car situation is as such: 2016 Toyota Prius 4, 2005 Porsche Boxster, and 1983 GMC Sierra. I own each of these vehicles for a specific purpose.

- The Prius is my DD. Now before you scoff, let me explain this a little better. I know "car people" arent supposed to be into Priuses, but I have to come out of the closet and say that I have loved these quirky little nerds for quite some time now. I bought my first in 2013 when I needed a vehicle that could haul all my training equipment (I'm a part time CPR instructor) and be very reliable. This is my third prius and I do love it. It has the cargo space of a medium sized SUV but is much more cost effective. I can fit 12 adult manikins, 12 baby manikins, all my AV equipment, and 3 misc bags of training materials. I'll get pics later and post them on here to prove it. So yeah, thats why I had a Prius.

- The GMC Sierra is your typical run-of-the-mill "farm truck". I bought this beast after I moved out to the country on a farm. It serves as the work horse of the fleet. I use it haul hay, transport critters, move earth and general other hauling/towing jobs. Shes not a lot to look at but here in rural Kansas, she will have absolutely no problems finding a new home where she will be loved and adored.

- The Porsche. *sigh* This one I am going to miss the most. She is my baby. Its the third boxster I've had in the last 8 years and is hands down the best of them all. My first was a 2001 (Mk1), the second was a 2013 (Mk3) and the 2005 I have now is a Mk2. It is such a fun car regardless of what time of year it is. But in the summer this car is like my therapy. After working a long shift at my full time job in the ER, my 20 mile drive home to the county and by the time I arrive the wind has blow off any negative energy I've picked up during my shift. And for anyone familiar with work life in the ER, you know it can be a pretty crazy place to be for 13 hours straight. There is just something about rowing through the gears of a manual transmission with the top down and some great jams blasting on the radio on a sunny day. Saves me thousands of dollars in therapy bills.

So now the answer to the question as to why I am here. Well, I decided that I wanted to consolidate. I love each of my cars but I really think that I am at a point in my life where I want to simplify and streamline. My goal was to find a vehicle that was known to have good residual value and reliability, was able to haul all of my CPR manikins and equipment, could tow a trailer with a goat and/or miniature donkey in it, and lastly something smallish where I could still have my convertible experience and the joy of shifting my own gears. I was on the hunt for a replacement and all roads lead to the Wrangler. I didn't have the best experience with them as the only wranglers I had ridden in were my two uncles. They are die hard jeep fans and their wranglers were the JK and jacked way high with huge tires. They rode horribly on the highway and were so noisy and my uncle with the 2 door drives like a maniac. (As an EMT, I worry about him)

But then the 2018 came out and I started watching long term reviews of people that had the new JL and that was enough to push me to try. I went and test drove one and all I can say is "WOW". It rode amazingly smooth and was an absolute blast to drive. So tonight I placed my order. Here is my build:

2019 JL Sport S in Sting Grey
- Options - Hard Top, Cold Weather Group, Tech Group and Heritage Tan seats.
MSRP $36,020

I tried to delete the window tint because I wanted a more retro look but apparently thats not an option.

So there ya have it. I will be lurking around and reading others posts about their ordering experience and what they ordered and why. As I get information about the progress of my build, I will update this thread.
Sponsored