Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
After researching the trials and tribulations of various aftermarket cat-back systems, I finally purchased the Magnaflow 19386 Rock Crawler Cat-Back exhaust system for my JLUR.

As many have mentioned, it sounds great at start, idle and anywhere under 2,100 RPM's. Rev the engine above 2,100 RPM's (which is cruising speed) and you get one hell of a drone in the cabin from about 2,100 - 3,000 RPM's. It's a bit louder than I expected, though the following will address the loudness, while also eliminating the drone effect.

Here's the tip that will change everything... Install the stock resonator inline and before the Magnaflow muffler. The result is a tame, smooth and deep sound with Zero/Zip/Zilch drone. It's truly a rich, mellow tone.

This requires a professional install (roughly $200) that is, unless you are a welder, or know one. The install is simple, though.

To summarize: Remove everything behind the V-Clamp, as you would for the standard Magnaflow cat-back installation. Cut the exhaust about two feet after the stock resonator (to provide the shop plenty of room to work with - or just bring them the entire exhaust section you've removed). Install the resonator back as it was, weld a connector pipe to feed the output of the resonator into the Magnaflow muffler, then weld the rest of the rock crawler exhaust after the muffler.

On the 4-door/Unlimited, their kit uses an extension pipe. That's where the Magnaflow muffler will be placed/welded. I'm confident this is also possible on the 2-Door, but measure/place everything first.

This installation method will provide all of the benefits of the rock crawler exhaust (removing the massive stock muffler, deeper tone, tucked away tubing) while also tempering the tinny, drone sound that many on this forum (and the web) complain about.

I seriously couldn't be happier, and don't think there is a better sounding/performing configuration out there. I realize there is a bit of personal preference associated with the sound, though this combination (to me) has the best all around value of any system I've seen/heard/tested.

@Magnaflow - We love your system, and recommend consideration of adding a stock resonator or equivalent, before the pass-through muffler, to address the 2,100 to 3,000 RPM drone.

I'll try to add pics soon.

Here's a graphic to help in visualizing what was done:

Exhaust - Original_Modified.png

Great sound - ugly weld.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great idea. I have the same system and the same drone issue. I am not sure if the Jeep dealer still has my resonator but I will ask.

Thanks and love to hear audio clips.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Great idea. I have the same system and the same drone issue. I am not sure if the Jeep dealer still has my resonator but I will ask.

Thanks and love to hear audio clips.
Regretfully, I don't have anything that captures the sound very well. Cell phone just didn't do it justice. If I can figure something out, I'll record it and post it.