Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
The Luddite Club aka Poverty Pack.

Membership requirements

1. Manual transmission
2. Manual windows
3. Manual door locks

Did you forgo the luxuries because you're too cheap? Were you broke? Or maybe you found Zen through a simple existence.

Share your experiences with like minded owners.
Sponsored

Last edited:

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Well, my JL doesn't qualify, but my little hatchback daily driver does. I could have afforded more, but I like the simplicity of the thing. My kids' friends are amazed by the crank windows. Many don't even know how to operate them. :LOL:

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Jeep Wrangler JL The Luddite Club aka Poverty Pack 2161ECC1-EE3E-4309-B69C-4D267A92CBB1

Can I play? I have a 6 speed and technically manual windows and locks in this configuration.

OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I placed an order for a Willys Sport all manual. One of the dealerships I spoke with suggested I not buy the manual because I also own luxury cars. According to them, I would get tired of the manual.

I will say there is a bit of nostalgia that influenced my decision. When the world is moving towards driverless electric vehicles, I had to vote with my wallet - there is still a market for an engaging driving experience.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I bought a manual, because I wanted a manual. I can admit the 2.0 Auto in my moms Sahara is a good platform, if not not all around better. I still prefer the manual.

When I bought my Jeep, I actually didn’t have a preference if it had power locks or windows. I wanted Apple CarPlay, but after owning, I learned to dislike Uconnect and it’s updates. With some of the features I wanted on a Willys (original preference), the base Rubicon wasn’t much more. This model year 2022, they move the Rubicon more upmarket and increased the base price with more standard options.

I wish Jeep would offer the half doors as an either or option. If that was an option, I would have went that route. Strip the power windows out and I can store some gum.

Funny enough, when I bought the Rubicon. I said I would save money and not upgrade it other then the seats.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
According to them, I would get tired of the manual.
I think that it depends somewhat on where you live. We moved to Phoenix from 8,200' in the Colorado Rockies. Manuals were much more fun there, with light-traffic winding mountain roads, than in Maricopa County.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Those 3 things were my requirements when looking for a new Jeep. Very hard to find and the dealership thought I was kidding. I was not kidding.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up with no AC, manual windows, drum brakes and carburators.

I don't want any of it NO MOAR.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Luddite Club aka Poverty Pack 1649526317295

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My 2021 Sport has but one option: an engine block heater.

Offspring, who is still young, has only ever known and used power windows.

As my Jeep reintroduces some legacy controls, I've updated a few of them to assist her.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Luddite Club aka Poverty Pack ac modification (1)

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
This is my third jeep. All have be manuals. This one is a Willys Sport so manual locks and windows. Wouldn't have it any other way. Old school and awesome (to me anyway). I have some traffic on my commute and I do not miss automatic transmission at all. I'd rather feel the drive. Hope manuals never go away.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
When the 2.0T comes with a manual trans, I devolve to that from my current 2.0T Sport. Not "Sport S", plain Sport

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
I chose manual everything because I wanted it, not because of cost. Though it was able to make the Willys package more affordable, so I guess from that point of view, it did save me some money. It wasn't the motivating factor though. That said, I can't live without A/C at this point in my life though, so I didn't go all the way with leaving that out.

My reasoning was 2-fold. First is that I plan on keeping this guy for 30 years or so, and I absolutely hate replacing window switches and motors which (in my experience over the years) always tend to go out at the absolute worst times. I wouldn't have minded power locks were it a separate option from the windows as I've never had issues with those.

Second is that I just enjoy manuals transmissions. Until such time as I'm physically unable to use one, or am simply unable to buy one as the rest of the world moves on, it will always be my choice.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Bought my first new vehicle in 1976. Every new vehicle I bought for the next 43 years fell into your category of No Power Windows, Manual Transmission, No Power Locks, and NO AIR CONDITIONING.

When we bought our 2019 Wrangler, I knew it would be my "retirement" vehicle and wanted a few luxuries. So we got the Sport S version instead of the Sport.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored