The JL Wrangler in Australia

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
My following comments completely ignore the prices. I am only interested in the specs.

I have studied the specs of the JL Wrangler, in Germany, Belgium and Rumania. Using Google translator, the specs seem to be pretty much the same as each other.

I have now seen the specs of Jeep UK.

If the Australian specs are the same as the specs in Germany, Belgium and Rumania, then I am keen to get a JL Sport when they arrive.

In Europe of course the Jeeps are left hand drive. In the UK they are right hand drive. In the UK, the specs are awful! If the Australian specs are the same as for Jeep UK, then I am not interested.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I would prefer the V6 Pentastar engine. I understand that the 2.0 litre turbo is more fuel efficient.

The Pentastar is tried and tested. The 2 litre turbo is more expensive and untested. A few owners have problems.

Jeep Australia is known to have poor after sales service.

The Pentastar V6 is the preferred engine.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I would prefer the V6 Pentastar engine. I understand that the 2.0 litre turbo is more fuel efficient.

The Pentastar is tried and tested. The 2 litre turbo is more expensive and untested. A few owners have problems.

Jeep Australia is known to have poor after sales service.

The Pentastar V6 is the preferred engine.
That is exactly why I went with the 3.6. I know many, many people with them in their Jeeps and I've not yet met one of them who have had a problem of any kind. They tend to last a long, long time, too. I know the 2012's had some issues with the heads, but the guys I know with the 2012's did not experience that. Mine puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Oh how I wish I could take my JL to Oz and experience the adventures in the beautiful and vast country you folks have down there!

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Though I would prefer the V6 Pentastar for simplicity too, it is not available in Europe.
On the JK we could only have them in 2016...

That being said, the 2.0L Turbo is not untested. It is in various Alfa Romeo cars like Stelvio and Giulia models since a couple of years.
I have not encountered any worrying issues yet. Time will tell of course.
What is new on the JL is the 2.0L engine combined to the E-torque system (the latter also not available in Europe again... it is just the 2.0L alone).

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Though I would prefer the V6 Pentastar for simplicity too, it is not available in Europe.
On the JK we could only have them in 2016...

That being said, the 2.0L Turbo is not untested. It is in various Alfa Romeo cars like Stelvio and Giulia models since a couple of years.
I have not encountered any worrying issues yet. Time will tell of course.
What is new on the JL is the 2.0L engine combined to the E-torque system (the latter also not available in Europe again... it is just the 2.0L alone).
I think the 2.0 will be a great engine. I just weighed the uncertainty vs. a sure thing, and the sure thing was leaps ahead of the 3.8 I've been running in my JK, so it really was a no brainer. I also didn't like the idea of running premium fuel. You'd have to pick up more than a couple miles per gallon to make up for that cost, at least in my neck of the woods. Then there's the spark plug life, added complexity of the bsg, and...the points in favor of the sure bet kept piling up. The 3.6 is a low maintenance, low fuss blue collar engine that will likely still be running at 300,000 miles.

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My local dealer in Sydney says JL Wranglers should be arriving in late December for test driving. :)

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
My following comments completely ignore the prices. I am only interested in the specs.

I have studied the specs of the JL Wrangler, in Germany, Belgium and Rumania. Using Google translator, the specs seem to be pretty much the same as each other.

I have now seen the specs of Jeep UK.

If the Australian specs are the same as the specs in Germany, Belgium and Rumania, then I am keen to get a JL Sport when they arrive.

In Europe of course the Jeeps are left hand drive. In the UK they are right hand drive. In the UK, the specs are awful! If the Australian specs are the same as for Jeep UK, then I am not interested.
Joe what is it about the UK specs ya not liking ??

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Joe what is it about the UK specs ya not liking ??
In the US and Canada, the models are named:
Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

I am sure you are familiar with the specifications and the options.

In Australia, the JK had 3 models. If we were using US terminology they would be named:
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

Some of the specs were already upgraded from the US models. I can make a guess and say that Jeep Australia will probably do the same with the JL.

As for the UK, looking at the current website, and if we used US terminology, they would be named:
Sahara lower specs
Sahara higher specs
Rubicon

There is no Sport S. You cannot get black fenders without getting a Rubicon!

At the main web page is a photo of a Wrangler Sport S in Hella Yella with black fenders. This will misled people who don't do a lot of research.

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
In the US and Canada, the models are named:
Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

I am sure you are familiar with the specifications and the options.

In Australia, the JK had 3 models. If we were using US terminology they would be named:
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

Some of the specs were already upgraded from the US models. I can make a guess and say that Jeep Australia will probably do the same with the JL.

As for the UK, looking at the current website, and if we used US terminology, they would be named:
Sahara lower specs
Sahara higher specs
Rubicon

There is no Sport S. You cannot get black fenders without getting a Rubicon!

At the main web page is a photo of a Wrangler Sport S in Hella Yella with black fenders. This will misled people who don't do a lot of research.
I just had a look at the uk site.. i can't select a petrol engine- there is only a 2.2 Diesel? WTF is that all about.. Only reason i looking at a Australia Jeep is they are one of few still with Petrol donks. i will keep looking to see what options the uk are offering.

Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
I just had a look at the uk site.. i can't select a petrol engine- there is only a 2.2 Diesel? WTF is that all about.. Only reason i looking at a Australia Jeep is they are one of few still with Petrol donks. i will keep looking to see what options the uk are offering.
OK yeah i see what ya mean, the UK options are very odd.. Rubicon has not options for coloring at all ? no body coloued fenders or top, no 'steel bumpers' and yeah the other 2 versions get bdy colour fenders and top std.. makes no sense to me.
but the lack of the signature v6 is just maddness and a deal breaker. hope Aust FCA is not that stupid.

OP
OP
Joe98

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on the document in the other thread, in Australia there will be an option for a diesel engine in the Rubicon!

Beechwood911

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler FireCracker Red
Just got an email from jeep listing safety features for the OZ model

The all-new Wrangler includes over 70 standard and available^ safety, security and technology features including:

• Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
  • Autonomous Emergency Braking
  • Trailer Sway Control
  • Improved fuel efficiency>
  • Increased towing capacity>
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Rear Cross Path Detection
  • 8.4” Touch Screen with Navigation
  • 9-Speaker Audio System including Subwoofer
  • Apple CarPlay®# & Android Auto®~
Looking good people

Beechwood911

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler FireCracker Red
Just did a little pricing test as per above info in regards to post codes and drive away pricing. All NSW All Overlander prices.
2444 Port Macquarie $68,960
2170 Liverpool $66,517
2031 Artarmon $69,662
2150 Parramatta $66,517

All of the above is straight off the Jeep website, looks like I may have to drive to Sydney to purchase mine, or the local dealer will have to play ball.

I'd like a Rubicon but I would like it all colour coded, maybe Overlander with Rubicon wheels.
Sponsored