Sponsored

The Jeep Wrangler is One of the Most Unreliable Cars of 2020

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Consumer reports has been anti-Chrysler for as long as they've existed, they've had a bias towards non-American cars for years as well
Sponsored

Mutlkey53

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL, purchased new in April 2021
We purchased a new 2 dr JL just two months ago, and it has refused to start twice. First time, we took it into a local dealer to be fixed. They lied because it happened again 3 weeks later. Dash lights up but no start. Eventually got it started and I drove it non-stop to Wellington (4 1/2 hrs away) to get original dealer to fix it. They say they have done so. They reckoned something was loose. Meantime, I'll keep a battery-pack (jump starter) in the JL just in case!!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
We purchased a new 2 dr JL just two months ago, and it has refused to start twice. First time, we took it into a local dealer to be fixed. They lied because it happened again 3 weeks later. Dash lights up but no start. Eventually got it started and I drove it non-stop to Wellington (4 1/2 hrs away) to get original dealer to fix it. They say they have done so. They reckoned something was loose. Meantime, I'll keep a battery-pack (jump starter) in the JL just in case!!
Stupid question but did you push down all your fuses and relays? It’s a big problem with Jeep’s.
Also, not to be the bearer of bad news but due to the 2 battery system we have, a battery jump start pack doesn’t always work.

Mutlkey53

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL, purchased new in April 2021
Stupid question but did you push down all your fuses and relays? It’s a big problem with Jeep’s.
Also, not to be the bearer of bad news but due to the 2 battery system we have, a battery jump start pack doesn’t always work.
You're dead right. Jump-starter worked the first time to get me home from the range, but second time we had a sick dog in the back and sat outside the vet's awaiting a towtruck coz jumpstarter didn't help. Self-started after about a 2-hour wait.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I never herd of Motor Biscuit. I assume they are just quoting Consumer Reports?

Can't make excuses. FCA can definitely do a lot better Quality Control wise. FCA products are consistantly at the bottom of quality control surveys from JD Powers and other companies. I personally know of a few new JLs that have their share of QC issues. I also know of MANY JLs that have been problem free. My '19 JLR 2.0T is a year old and zero problems so far other then the steering stabilizer recall. I did not notice any steering issues prior to or after the recall. I did the stablizer recall out of convience when I was in for a oil change. The steer in felt a little stiffer after the new stabilizer was installed.

A couple of areas the JL could definitely be better QC wise. The JL doors are terrible, they are very wavy or warped. Both my TJ and JK were MUCH better. I get the JL doors are a different material but still they should be better. Looks like the hinges are starting to corrode already on some JLs. One member in Mexico is reporting the black plastic bumpers are fading already. Some of these issues go back to the TJ. You think they would have improved on these issues by now.

A major car site, Edmunds, just completed a 50K mile review of a Wrangler Rubicon and it was for the most part problem free for them. Their review was very favorable.

Personally I love my JLR and I accept it's made by FCA. There is a warranty if anything comes up.

Like anything else your milage may vary.

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2018/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html
Update from my original post...I think some of relibility issues are justified.

The article list these problems:

Bad welds between control arms and axle-
Some 2018 JLs had poor welds but I am surprised 2020s continued to have weld issues. My JLR did not have these issues.

Manual transmission clutch issues-
This was a issue that caused fires in some manual JLs. I had a 8-speed automatic that was problem free.

Poor Body Integrity-
Some hinges and doors have bubbling paint and corrosion. The grills and other plastic parts on white JLs turn yellow. The plastic latches/levers to fold the seats forward break. Seats in some JLs have gotten stuck in the forward position. The rear defroster tabs are known to break off. My JLR had wavy doors. ALL JLs have wavy doors. Hood, grill, fender alignment could be better. My driver seat made a knocking noise.

Tech Problems-
Some ESS equipped JLs had starting, charging, battery issues.Lots of radio, UConnect 4

My '19 JLR was problem free until 24 months and 20K miles. These problems started right at about 2 years.

My 8.4" Infotainment UConnect 4 was very problematic. I think the UConnect 4 software is one major source of the problems? Back up cameras go BLUE, frozen or bricked head unit and controls, radio unresponsive and will not turn off even if the ignition is confirmed OFF.

My passenger side power mirror had to be replaced. 1 week for parts.

Rear Shock started leaking badly and had to be replaced. 4-5 weeks for part.

Driver seat had to be replaced due to knocking noise. Surprisingly the seat was in-stock and the dealer replaced it the same day.

I would say the article is correct about the technical problems. My head unit had to be replaced several times and problems still existed. Some replacemet radios were remanufactured. Parts took weeks. The dealer had my JLR for over a month trying to figure out the problem without success. Hopefully software updates for the UConnect 4 fix these problems. I would not hold my breath.

Everything was repaired under warranty. I was given a free loaner or rental car for the repairs.

The 2.0T engine, eTorque, ZF 8-speed automatic transmission were trouble free the entire time I owned it.

I took advantage of the high resale values got rid of that JLR. I sold it for more than I paid new. I am going to buy another JLR even though I had issues with my old one. They are just too much fun to be without one. Hopefully the radio and tech problems are addressed by the time I order a 2022. I personally would seriously consider a Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty "if" I were to keep a FCA product beyond the regular bumper-to-bumper warranty period.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
You're dead right. Jump-starter worked the first time to get me home from the range, but second time we had a sick dog in the back and sat outside the vet's awaiting a towtruck coz jumpstarter didn't help. Self-started after about a 2-hour wait.
I’m glad you at least made it to the vet first. I hope the puppy is ok.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Update from my original post...I think some of relibility issues are justified.

The article list these problems:

Bad welds between control arms and axle-
Some 2018 JLs had poor welds but I am surprised 2020s continued to have weld issues. My JLR did not have these issues.

Manual transmission clutch issues-
This was a issue that caused fires in some manual JLs. I had a 8-speed automatic that was problem free.

Poor Body Integrity-
Some hinges and doors have bubbling paint and corrosion. The grills and other plastic parts on white JLs turn yellow. The plastic latches/levers to fold the seats forward break. Seats in some JLs have gotten stuck in the forward position. The rear defroster tabs are known to break off. My JLR had wavy doors. ALL JLs have wavy doors. Hood, grill, fender alignment could be better. My driver seat made a knocking noise.

Tech Problems-
Some ESS equipped JLs had starting, charging, battery issues.Lots of radio, UConnect 4

My '19 JLR was problem free until 24 months and 20K miles. These problems started right at about 2 years.

My 8.4" Infotainment UConnect 4 was very problematic. I think the UConnect 4 software is one major source of the problems? Back up cameras go BLUE, frozen or bricked head unit and controls, radio unresponsive and will not turn off even if the ignition is confirmed OFF.

My passenger side power mirror had to be replaced. 1 week for parts.

Rear Shock started leaking badly and had to be replaced. 4-5 weeks for part.

Driver seat had to be replaced due to knocking noise. Surprisingly the seat was in-stock and the dealer replaced it the same day.

I would say the article is correct about the technical problems. My head unit had to be replaced several times and problems still existed. Some replacemet radios were remanufactured. Parts took weeks. The dealer had my JLR for over a month trying to figure out the problem without success. Hopefully software updates for the UConnect 4 fix these problems. I would not hold my breath.

Everything was repaired under warranty. I was given a free loaner or rental car for the repairs.

The 2.0T engine, eTorque, ZF 8-speed automatic transmission were trouble free the entire time I owned it.

I took advantage of the high resale values got rid of that JLR. I sold it for more than I paid new. I am going to buy another JLR even though I had issues with my old one. They are just too much fun to be without one. Hopefully the radio and tech problems are addressed by the time I order a 2022. I personally would seriously consider a Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty "if" I were to keep a FCA product beyond the regular bumper-to-bumper warranty period.
Yea Nick it’s worrisome, my 19 was trouble free as I read about all these steering problems and what not. Then my plastic rivots broke on each side of the auto roof. These held the band that pulls the roof closed. 2 dealer trips. Then the plug went bad from removing my front doors and the auto locks stopped working. Another dealer trip. Adaptive cruise stopped working. They said they upgraded the software, it stopped again in about a week. I like regular cruise so I just left it broke.
Just this Sunday July 4th I now got a “service 4WD” light. Ugh! I used the Jeep yesterday (Monday) and the light was off. Maybe the computer had to reset? Or maybe this is the new headache.
Did I say Ugh yet?

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Thus far, 37,XXX trouble free travel and off road miles in nearly 2-1/2 years of ownership. My 2019 JLUR is the first American vehicle (excluding motorcycles), which I have purchased since 1980. Hands down, with respect to warranty issues, it has been the best!

Initially, for peace of mind, I did purchase FCA's unlimited lifetime warranty prior to FCA discontinuing offering the warranty. Perhaps, it will come in handy, someday.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I’ve owned all sorts of vehicles over a period of 40 years. Dead reliable ones with HIGH marks in these consumer review panels. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I never gave any of them a second thought other than gas and basic maintenance. Until I bought a Jeep. So much fun. Fun to drive. Fun to mod. Fun to talk about. I owned a Jeep and joined this forum and that was fun. Traded Jeep and bought a truck. That forum was boring and small. I know it sounds weird but the day I got back into a Jeep I couldn‘t wait to get back into this forum. I signed back in even before calling my insurance company.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As they say, it's all fun and games until you are left stranded up on a trail miles from a tow truck accessible road. If I never left the pavement, I would not care as much about reliability. My JK was dead solid reliable. My JL already scared me with all the electrical gremlins from chafing electrical harnesses, that were a bitch to isolate and fix.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As they say, it's all fun and games until you are left stranded up on a trail miles from a tow truck accessible road. If I never left the pavement, I would not care as much about reliability. My JK was dead solid reliable. My JL already scared me with all the electrical gremlins from chafing electrical harnesses, that were a bitch to isolate and fix.
Maybe consider selling and ordering a new one?

I think used prices are still high for Wranglers. I was able to sell mine back in late May for more than what I paid for it 2.5 years ago. I basically will be trading up 3 model years for not much more than what I sold for. You can buy one for 6%-8% under invoice if you use Affiliate and order one from one of dealers mentioned here on the forums. That's what I am doing.

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
I honestly think that most of them are dependable. It's too soon on my 2 door Rubicon to give an accurate reading on the dependability , but my it seems very well made to me with a few exceptions. The v6 engine has been in a wide range of Mopar vehicles and has been proven reliable. The turbo 4 is very impressive, I've driven my friends JLU Rubicon and it has a lot of get up and go.

The 8 speed automatic transmission is outstanding and have a great track record in many Mopar products

I'd feel confident with either option for many reliable years of Jeeping.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I think there is a certain amount of luck to how reliable a vehicle is. My rubicon is a very early 2018 manual V6 and it has 35,000 miles on it. It’s been on road trips and off road quite a bit and though snowy winters.

only maintenance that has been done is oil changes, tire rotations and the 30,000 mile service. No issues.

maybe I am one of the lucky ones…

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Maybe consider selling and ordering a new one?
Oh, no. I'm nowhere close to doing that.

I don't want to give the wrong impression. My JLUR has been reliable and trouble free, save for that one issue (service shifter and electronics going crazy now and then) - that is known and fixed (but I had to do a lot of work to point the dealer in the right direction). The only other problem I worry about is the potential for locker sensor failure (for which there is a Tazer workaround until Jeep can have a sane fix).

My JL is set up exactly how I wanted and I spent many hours installing all my upgrades. The thought of starting over is not even close to being appealing. Jeep would need to come with a very compelling model (think 37s, 4,88s, stronger axles for me to consider a switch).

But I will say this. The build quality on mine has been great other than the known issues. I can't really complain much so far.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I honestly think that most of them are dependable. It's too soon on my 2 door Rubicon to give an accurate reading on the dependability , but my it seems very well made to me with a few exceptions. The v6 engine has been in a wide range of Mopar vehicles and has been proven reliable. The turbo 4 is very impressive, I've driven my friends JLU Rubicon and it has a lot of get up and go.

The 8 speed automatic transmission is outstanding and have a great track record in many Mopar products

I'd feel confident with either option for many reliable years of Jeeping.

I agree. I definitely think most JLs are pretty dependable. I highly doubt many JLs will leave owners stranded. Most if not all engines and transmissions are reliable for the most part. I would not hesitate choosing either the 2.0 or 3.6. The manual had a technical service bulletin or recall so they should be good now. Maybe a few ESS batteries or odd defective parts here and there but nothing serious. I do worry about all the peripherals longer term. The easy solution is to buy a Mopar Extended Warranty and hope parts are covered. Or sell and buy another with a fresh warranty.
Sponsored