Sponsored

The Jeep Wrangler is One of the Most Unreliable Cars of 2020

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
Shrug, I don't really see significantly more complaints or problems on the Wrangler forums vs most any other vehicle. While they may not be the most reliable, I'd say they're also by far the most tinkered-with and used/abused vehicles on the road today - both of which are going to seriously skew their perceived reliability.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I never herd of Motor Biscuit. I assume they are just quoting Consumer Reports?

Can't make excuses. FCA can definitely do a lot better Quality Control wise. FCA products are consistantly at the bottom of quality control surveys from JD Powers and other companies. I personally know of a few new JLs that have their share of QC issues. I also know of MANY JLs that have been problem free. My '19 JLR 2.0T is a year old and zero problems so far other then the steering stabilizer recall. I did not notice any steering issues prior to or after the recall. I did the stablizer recall out of convience when I was in for a oil change. The steer in felt a little stiffer after the new stabilizer was installed.

A couple of areas the JL could definitely be better QC wise. The JL doors are terrible, they are very wavy or warped. Both my TJ and JK were MUCH better. I get the JL doors are a different material but still they should be better. Looks like the hinges are starting to corrode already on some JLs. One member in Mexico is reporting the black plastic bumpers are fading already. Some of these issues go back to the TJ. You think they would have improved on these issues by now.

A major car site, Edmunds, just completed a 50K mile review of a Wrangler Rubicon and it was for the most part problem free for them. Their review was very favorable.

Personally I love my JLR and I accept it's made by FCA. There is a warranty if anything comes up.

Like anything else your milage may vary.

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2018/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html

Last edited:

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I never herd of Motor Biscuit. I assume they are just quoting Consumer Reports?

Can't make excuses. FCA can definitely do a lot better Quality Control wise. FCA products are consistantly at the bottom of quality control surveys from JD Powers and other companies. I personally know of a few new JLs that have their share of QC issues. I also know of MANY JLs that have been problem free. My '19 JLR 2.0T is a year old and zero problems so far other then the steering stabilizer recall. I did not notice any steering issues prior to or after the recall. I did the stablizer recall out of convience when I was in for a oil change. The steer in felt a little stiffer after the new stabilizer was installed.

A couple of areas the JL could definitely be better QC wise. The JL doors are terrible, they are very wavy or warped. Both my TJ and JK were MUCH better. I get the JL doors are a different material but still they should be better. Looks like the hinges are starting to corrode already on some JLs. One member in Mexico is reporting the black plastic bumpers are fading already. Some of these issues go back to the TJ. You think they would have improved on these issues by now.

A major car site, Edmunds, just completed a 50K mile review of a Wrangler Rubicon and it was for the most part problem free for them. Their review was very favorable.

Personally I love my JLR and I accept it's made by FCA. There is a warranty if anything comes up.

Like anything else your milage may vary.

https://www.edmunds.com/jeep/wrangler/2018/long-term-road-test/wrap-up.html
I don't disagree but Edmunds also just accepted the "need for two hands at highway speeds" and the dead spot in the wheel as normal. Had they realized this is actually a defect I wonder if they may have reviewed it a little less favorably.

That said, Consumer Reports can suck it. They won't be happy until we're riding in fully autonomous cars with every conceivable safety feature and nanny possible.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Our 19 Wrangler Unlimited S is our first FCA product and I’ve been super happy since buying it in August. 10K miles later and zero issues. Just regular maintenance.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've Never seen Jeep Wrangler Car before. but I can tell you. My Jeep wrangler Unlimited Rubicon is Fantastic & extremely reliable..
we took it on a short trip from Florida to Kentucky drove it on trails & up mountains it barely fit through to some of the most beautiful trails with ledges on either side of the Jeep that had wicked sheer drop offs and stream running across our path .lol we even had one passenger bail out until I made it across everything worked flawlessly & felt very sure footed.. never once did we have any issues mechanically on any of our trip but anytime they come out with a updated part I've went to the dealer. Fitz clearwater here in Florida they have taken good care of our family so far Gordon the mgr.& Jim Gas the fantastic sales person. have always been professional & polite... very fun vehicle with no issues or real problems....just keep an eye on your dealer with the proper amount oil to be used in the JLUR... enjoy and remember most like to complain and will gladly do so before giving praise.

Last edited:

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Consumer Reports...has always hated Wranglers. Every review...
Consumer reports views vehicles as "assets", not machines. They're looking at financials first, everything else second, if at all. They look at almost every enthusiast vehicle like this as well, except a few, if my memory serves me correctly.. Because they're pitching to a different market segment than people who buy Wranglers. Once again, i'll say it: We want a giant hot wheels more than we want a safe, economical, reliable, practical car. Not that there aren't some issues, but our baseline standards are much different than Chad Yuppington looking for a family SUV to drive to the office and to his kids soccer practice. At the same time, there's a reason I still haven't seen a Toyota Camry casting by Hot wheels...

Again, I'll echo my previous sentiments from other posts: I haven't had any issues so far. I like my Jeep and I think FCA did a good job on the JL. As long as something major like engine/ transmission failure or frame snappage issues do not occur, I have enough skills, and know enough people and shops to fix any problem that may happen with my Jeep, and make sure it doesn't happen again. And if it is something like engine/ transmission failure? I've got a warranty.

There was one year they had a Wrangler in the same class as a CRV, or Rav4 or because they were both "mid size SUV's". Let that sink in.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think the thing about Consumer Reports is they're probably looking at what your Jeep will be like in 10 years.

https://jalopnik.com/chrysler-built-hemi-engines-with-a-major-engineering-de-1842400890
https://adventurebent.com/pentastar-tick-returns/

As much as I love their vehicle designs, the engines are not designed to last.

It's kinda like buying a BMW though. If you don't get a lemon you'll probably be good for 3-5 years. Maybe even 5+! But you might get heartbroken at the 7-10 year mark.

Or maybe not!
Sponsored