Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. Love my jlur, but often ponder going back to a Tacoma for just this reason.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think the thing about Consumer Reports is they're probably looking at what your Jeep will be like in 10 years.

https://jalopnik.com/chrysler-built-hemi-engines-with-a-major-engineering-de-1842400890
https://adventurebent.com/pentastar-tick-returns/

As much as I love their vehicle designs, the engines are not designed to last.

It's kinda like buying a BMW though. If you don't get a lemon you'll probably be good for 3-5 years. Maybe even 5+! But you might get heartbroken at the 7-10 year mark.

Or maybe not!
You bring up BMW. Great driving experience until the repairs and expense kill the driving experience. As great as they drive. I would never own a BMW as a daily driver without a warranty. I agree with your assessment. Except with the 7-10 year mark prediction. I think it's more like the 5-6 year mark where you get heartbroken by a BMW. And you will hurt… a LOT... if you don't have a extended warranty. Then you get tired of the expensive repairs and want to sell. This is where the real heartbreak begins unless you own one of very desirable M-Models.

At least with a Wrangler the residual is much better and you will have some equity to roll into the next one.

Last edited:

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My '19 JLUR was terrible its first year. From the moment in came off the train, I spent too much time driving and enjoying it. It logged 27K trouble free adventure miles during the first year, which was this past December. It was truly criminal that I drove and enjoyed it, as much as I did.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
My 2018 has needed oil changes, wtf JEEP, unreliable POS.
It did get some wobble at 3500 miles, but it was fixed quickly, mostly because I read shit, and told the dealer how to fix it.
In fact, just the other day a chick in a 2dr flew by me on rt 80, so of course because there is no traffic ATM, I pegged it to 100 to catch her, drove beautifully
CS, jalopnik, Motorbiscuit and most other automobile reviewers can eat a bag of Richards. I do not value any of their opinions.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
You bring up BMW. Great driving experience until the repairs and expense kill the driving experience. As great as they drive. I would never own a BMW as a daily driver without a warranty. I agree with your assessment. Except with the 7-10 year mark prediction. I think it's more like the 5-6 year mark where you get heartbroken. And you will hurt… a LOT... if you don't have a extended warranty. Then you get tired of the expensive repairs and want to sell. This is where the real heartbreak begins unless you own one of very desirable M-Models.

At least with a Wrangler the residual is much better and you will have some equity to roll into the next one.
What do you think is going to need repair in 5-6 yrs? I always plan on brakes, fluid changes diffs, t-case, coolant, maybe throw a set of plugs in, serp belt, pcv valve, couple air filters, the cabin air. Suspension should be good.

I drove my 18 yr old 02 WJ to work today, runs like a top, only repairs were set of calipers, rear axle seals, and dash tweeters, everything else normal fluid changes, plugs, air filters, fuel filter. Did install some Bilstein shocks and new rubber seats for the buckets on the springs. But normal trouble free.

I know so many broke people who have to replace their car at 80K because it is going to fall apart?? So back into a 5 or 6 yr loan, rinse and repeat.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I agree FCA could do better...that said my 2015 Rubicon Unlimited has been totally problem free except for paper trash left in the fuel filler pipe when manufactured. Fixed in first three days of ownership. Just took delivery of new Recon Unlimited Saturday. Too early to tell anything, but currently drives well, including steering, and the fit and finish is better than my 2015. I do see the wavey doors...they all have them.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
These magazines need hit pieces to draw readers, forums don't lie and they allow future owners to weed through the nitty pitty complaints and find actual mechanical problems to make a sound decision. What I have read on the jeep forum doesn't even come close to the Land Rover problems ( I own three ) so actual owner here.

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
Because I do not currently own a Wrangler, but fully intend to when I make up my mind exactly what I want through thorough research, I’d like to offer an outsider opinion.
Please remember while reading this reply I think Jeeps are cool and really want to own one despite the things I read that give me pause before buying one.

It seems because most Wrangler owners are so enamored with their vehicles that they are willing to accept the fact that FCA quality control is substandard. Saying “It’s a Jeep thing” doesn’t force the manufacturer to step up their quality game and put out a better product. I realize some owners have never had major issues, but it seems most on this forum have had at least a few things that I would call unacceptable. Sloppy steering and especially the “death wobble” issue seriously concerns me. Corrosion at the hinges should never be ok. LSD bearings coming apart before 10,000 miles is troubling. Rusty and missing frame welds. Wavy doors. None of those are allowable in my book.

To put it in perspective, I drove my $28,000 1998 Ram 2500 V10 4x4 or 21 years and almost 300,000 miles. Coil sprung Dana 60 front and Dana 70 leaf spring rear. You can say I’m familiar with straight axle ownership. Only mod I did was put 33x12.50s on it immediately and Rhino-lined the bed. I do ALL my own maintenance and work on my vehicles and the only “big” repairs I had were one starter rebuild, three water pumps, one radiator, and after 250,000 miles, a leaky rear axle seal.

Granted, I think my Dodge was exceptional, but I do not think a $50,000 vehicle in 2020 should require any dealer visits (other than maintenance) before 50,000 miles, if not 100,000. That isn’t that uncommon in this day and age and I think it is what we should demand from Jeep, too.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
What do you think is going to need repair in 5-6 yrs? I always plan on brakes, fluid changes diffs, t-case, coolant, maybe throw a set of plugs in, serp belt, pcv valve, couple air filters, the cabin air. Suspension should be good.

I drove my 18 yr old 02 WJ to work today, runs like a top, only repairs were set of calipers, rear axle seals, and dash tweeters, everything else normal fluid changes, plugs, air filters, fuel filter. Did install some Bilstein shocks and new rubber seats for the buckets on the springs. But normal trouble free.

I know so many broke people who have to replace their car at 80K because it is going to fall apart?? So back into a 5 or 6 yr loan, rinse and repeat.
I am not talking about my JLR. It's way too early to determine if it will be a maintenance money pit. I don't think it will be. They seem to be holding up well.

I was talking about Bite My Wallet. Just read the technical section of Roundel the club magazine. I love BMWs and how they drive. Personally I would never own most BMWs without the assurance of a warranty. Not for daily driver anyway. I would rather take depreciation over repair cost because old BMW repairs and cost are just too unpredictable. BMW have common problems like oil leaks, electrical issues, coolant leaks, variable valve timing issues, fuel pump issues, error codes, etc. No matter how you look at it BMW labor rates are much higher. I have a friend who owned a X5 with the V8. A few months after warranty the alternator bracket failed. The problem with the bracket failing is oil leaks from a bad oil seal. The seal cost $10 but the labor was $2000. Another friend has a 550ix that has a bad oil consumption. Uses a quart of oil every 500-700 miles. It apparently is a very common problem with that motor. Not a cheap repair. You could buy a excellent TJ and a lot of mods for what it cost to replace that motor.

The unpredictable and high cost of repairs is why most European cars have very low residuals. You can buy a $100K BMW that is 6-7 years old for pennies on the dollar. That used BMW someone bought for $20K that use to cost $100K still is a $100K vehicle to repair.

As far as the rinse and repeat…We all pay to drive. It's either maintenance and repairs or depreciation. We all pick our own poison. Everyone will have a different perspective depending on their own finances. Sweat equity has value. Someone who has the ability and knowledge and can wrench themselves are in a different position then someone who can't. Some people want peace of mind and don't mind the rinse and repeat.

I usually sell and buy something else because I am in the mood to try something new. Not because I think it will fall apart. Personally I see my cars as a hobby. It's something I enjoy and accept the fact it will cost me money like a vacation would. Same as anyone who likes to buy mods for their Wrangler. Or make payments on a new one every 4 years.

I owned a TJ and JL prior to my current JLR. The one previous benefit of owning a Wrangler was exceptional resale values. Prior to the JL, Wranglers have had exceptional resale. It might have made more sense to sell and buy a new one every 4-5 years then take maintenance and repair cost. I bet it was close? I did not do that with my TJ but I should have. My TJ was very unreliable, I got a bad one. I keep pretty good records. For sure it would have cost me less to make payments on a new one then to keep fixing the old one. That was even with me doing a lot of the work and being able to recoup a lot of the TJ cost because resale was insanely good. That was when I was younger and did not mind doing the work. The work was part of the fun back then. Now I just want to pay and drive, rise and repeat. lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The welds suck, the steering wasnt all that bad on mine but others had issues. I do worry about electronics on the vehicle too.

BUT- the 3.6 is a hoot. The auto tranny is rated up there with the best on the planet.

I put on a 2 inch lift (more like 4), 37's 4.88 gears and this thing is an absolute animal. The on trail ride quality is amazing, the flex that will contour to the terrain is just crazy, the axles droop so much it looks broken.

I laugh when I see the new defenders wheels up in the air like that is something good, I cry when I hear the new bronco will have IFS. I want jeep to have some competition, but they just wont given what we see coming up by once formidable rig offerings.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Click on the article and the author's name. He published an article 4 days earlier about the 3 most unreliable vehicles and Wrangler wasn't on the list. So we skyrocketed to worst in 4 days?

I've never heard of autobiscuit but I think they need to be covered in gravy.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
My 2018 has needed oil changes, wtf JEEP, unreliable POS.
It did get some wobble at 3500 miles, but it was fixed quickly, mostly because I read shit, and told the dealer how to fix it.
In fact, just the other day a chick in a 2dr flew by me on rt 80, so of course because there is no traffic ATM, I pegged it to 100 to catch her, drove beautifully
CS, jalopnik, Motorbiscuit and most other automobile reviewers can eat a bag of Richards. I do not value any of their opinions.
So did you catch her ? If you did, then what ? Story ? Pics ?

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
It seems because most Wrangler owners are so enamored with their vehicles that they are willing to accept the fact that FCA quality control is substandard. Saying “It’s a Jeep thing” doesn’t force the manufacturer to step up their quality game and put out a better product. /QUOTE]

This is the crux of the biscuit, so to speak. We all expect far too little from the manufacturer. I love my Jeeps but my JL was delivered with a valve train issue and the Trailhawk will most likely need expensive air suspension repairs at 60-70K, so I know if I want to keep either one I'll need an extended warranty, which I do not believe in and have never purchased.
But I knew all of this going in and it was an informed decision to buy and drive them...

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
People still care about these articles? meh

Love my JL, has been fantastic in the 9 months i've had it and bought it without giving a crap about what some article said about them.
Sponsored