First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
So.....the real history behind the Jeep wave.......hence why I wave at all Jeeps, even if some refuse to wave at anything but Wranglers.

Got this from another jeep group

The Jeep wave.
Where did it come from?
Who did it first?
Well...
Here is the answer.

The Jeep was built during WW2 to aid in the movement of troops, supplies and equipment across rugged terrain. Thousands of these vehicles were made and when the war ended many of these Jeep’s were brought back to the states and were put to use by veterans of the war.
While driving a Jeep down a road and coming towards another Jeep, most likely being driven by a WW2 veteran each person would pay their respect towards one another holding up two fingers as a sign of a V which stood for Victory when WW2 ended.

Over the years unfortunately Jeep owners thought it was just something that other Jeep owners did as a way to just say hi to each other.

So, the next time you’re driving down the road and do the Jeep wave to another Jeep owner coming at you remember that this all started by a bunch of great people who served our country when we needed them most.

To this day it still puts a smile on my face when I wave and think how special this wave stands for.
Please forward this to any Jeep owners that are out there so they know how this all started and all these years later we are still celebrating Victory of WW2 and the respect we can show towards one another.
270c_1f3fb.png
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
So is the wave just for wranglers? 2 door and 4 door? What about the gladiator?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I would think that it should be all jeep Wrangler incarnations! Not that long ago there were nay sayers to the newly released 4 door. There were some nasty posts about how it would never be a real jeep...lol of course they have and continue to outsell the 2 door! So I wave at 2, 4 and 4 with a bed! They are all iterations of the famous workhorse that helped us when we needed it and continue to do so whether for a leisurely jaunt to the store or a hair raising trail run. They continue to own hearts and souls around the globe.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
So is the wave just for wranglers? 2 door and 4 door? What about the gladiator?
The US Military hasn't used any modern Wranglers, but the Gladiator XMT concept might end up in US military service.. so, if the wave originated by vets, the Gladiator might have a leg up on Wranglers!

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
When I bought my YJ back in '88 is when I was made aware of the wave at Ft Riley, KS. They were pretty popular with us young Army guys then.

Anything that is in the CJ/Wrangler family gets a wave, to include Gladiators. They should have just called it a Wrangler truck. Flat fender Willys up to the latest and greatest 2021s. There has to be exclusivity to it though, no Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, Renegades, Compasses, Patriots, Liberties, etc.

Now, sometimes I'm distracted and miss the wave, or I'm late in reacting. Don't take it personal, I never do.

Deleted member 59098

I’ve been driving a lifted ZJ for years, maybe had a couple waves in the Lake Tahoe area over the years, probably because it’s a XJ/ZJ Mecca. Today in my new JLR I got two waves within a few blocks in my Bay Area town. I’m sure this is only a wrangler thing.

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

I always assumed it was a way of Jeep owners to privately acknowledge to each other , "I know you and I are always having mechanical issues with this heap, but we still love Jeeps"

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I have been in Atlanta for 2.5 months now a Sh-t ton of Jeeps.... only 1 person waved back...... :mad:

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m a big fan of the Jeep Wave. I try to wave at all passing CJs and Wranglers/Gladiators and I get a lot of waves in return. I actually really enjoy the wave and have noticed that after a successful Jeep Wave exchange I generally feel better than I did the moment before. I’ll let you armchair psychologists figure out why...

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
I have been in Atlanta for 2.5 months now a Sh-t ton of Jeeps.... only 1 person waved back...... :mad:
Here in Oklahoma there are a lot of Wranglers and almost everyone waves. It's almost comical when going through Edmond, there are so many Jeeps, it seems like I'm wave every couple of minutes!
Sponsored