Sponsored

The Jeep Wave.....or not (JL bias)

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That dude is so excited. Since he’s owned his JK, he has been at the other end of that sentiment, now he has a new flock of owners to be the Sophomore to.
People are snobs. That being said, I don’t have the energy to keep up with waving when driving my LJ. There are just way too many JK’s out there.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
JKU = demise of the jeep community. Change my mind.
Well, the fact we’re on this forum shows that the community still exists. I consider jks the “ rude teenager “ of the Jeep family. Most will eventually grow out of their attitude, but some never will.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I'll wave to anyone who mods their car/truck, tbh.. but mostly just Jeeps.
You know, you make a good point. I had resolved to only wave at those who look like they take their rig off road, including Cherokees. So tired of the soccer moms not returning the wave in my town, makes me feel foolish. I am instituting a new policy.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
there has always been the fight over what a real jeep is, and basically it is what ever model you own plus the CJs

YJs are not real jeeps because square headlights
TJS are not real jeeps because they have coil springs
JKs are not real jeeps because they can have 4 doors and the windshield is hard to fold
JLs are not real jeeps because they don't want to kill me on the highway

That being said there is a definite Dbag culture that grew with the JK, there are always Dbag jeep owners but JKs made something special. These Dbags tend to be the guys kicked out of harley wana be biker clubs that just mod their jeep to make it look the part and pretend they are tough. In the last few years I have notice of a shift in clubs in my area away from being trail ride focused and land use to convoy rides around town and blocking intersections so their convoys can get more attention. I blame this on the 4 door making a more practical car (same reason I got a JLU) and the rise of jeep chinese knockoff amazon parts and 3m parts (lightbars and grille replacements)

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
But where would Jeep be without the Unlimited in today's ever increasing level of consumer safety standards. How could the TJ/LJ platform survive. My Favorite Jeep of all time that I wish I would have bought new would have been a 2006 LJ Rubicon. But having a wife 2 kids and 2 dogs and only able to have one vehicle, quickly put the brakes on that.

OP
OP
Guy N Cognito

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
Your on a JL forum....the gen AFTER the demise.

You don’t want your mind changed. Enjoy your antique. ;) Weren’t TJs considered an abomination by “real Jeepers” because they had coils? Lol.

Aimless1

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW K1600 GTL & Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Retired
I ride motorcycles. Traditionally we 'wave' to each other. Well, maybe. HD riders seem to only wave to other HD riders. Cruisers to Cruisers. Sport bikes to sport bikes. I used to 'wave' to all oncoming riders. Now I wait. If they wave to me, I wave to them. For what it's worth I ride sport touring bikes, currently a BMW K1600 GTL.

If/when I get my JL I will most likely not wave in the city but will out of the city. I really don't care if your Wrangler is modded or not or it it looks like you travel off road. We are all one small brother/sisterhood.

Brandon.B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I live in Florida and get quite a few waves in land, but on either coast, I'm lucky if 1 out of 10 Jeeps wave in my JL. I had a JK before and it was nowhere near as cool as my JL and managed to get more waves on the coasts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Guy N Cognito

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
You know, you make a good point. I had resolved to only wave at those who look like they take their rig off road, including Cherokees. So tired of the soccer moms not returning the wave in my town, makes me feel foolish. I am instituting a new policy.
I only waive at people that look like they’ve done Moab or the RT...

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
i wave hoping to catch the guy that fondled me 40 years ago....I dont know where or when exactly but I'm 100% sure it was in a jeep........and I know that wave when I see it!!

unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU - Sting Gray 2.0L Hard Top Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Most Jeepers are friendly, helpful people. But occasionally, I am reminded that they are just like any other auto enthusiast and have their own hangups:

Driving home for lunch today, top off windows down. Stopped at a light next to a lifted JKU. Look over and give him a little wave. His response? "I don't wave at JLs......that aint no Jeep." Alright.....guess I'm lucky I didn't tell him it was a 2.0t, his head may have exploded.

What's funny is, I remember a time when the JKU first came out. Many enthusiasts heralded the "end of Jeep" because they dared to make a 4 door. Now, even those JKU owners found something to hate.

Fortunately, that's been my only negative JL experience. Anyone else got a similar story?

You should've asked him to "show me on this doll where Jeep hurt you".
Sponsored