Sponsored

The Jeep Soap Opera part 1, Guiding Light: Wife mad at me and a dose of karma

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
That's cool. We share our cars too. Luckily, a 2D jeep wrangler was my dream car, and it was also her dream car. Different reasons though, I liked it for off-roading and going anywhere I want, she likes it cause you can take the top off and "look cool" :CWL:. Either way, it is "ours".
Share cars ? I call it ours she calls it hers.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your personal stores and comments have been great. I want to keep this question in this forum because this was my original intention but after waiting a month and being told today that the fastest that I can order it would be two weeks to a month. A comparable rubicon gladiator is actually only 2k more because of the additional grand they would be charging me for unwanted wheels. So other than the money what are the other things I should know about the gladiator or be worried about. Thanks.
Gladiator is really long. That yields a larger turning radius, which is relevant both on trails, and in parking lots, as this combined with the extra overall length, makes the Gladiator less maneuverable.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Your personal stores and comments have been great. I want to keep this question in this forum because this was my original intention but after waiting a month and being told today that the fastest that I can order it would be two weeks to a month. A comparable rubicon gladiator is actually only 2k more because of the additional grand they would be charging me for unwanted wheels. So other than the money what are the other things I should know about the gladiator or be worried about. Thanks.
The good news about the wait is that restriction on the Rubi wheels has since been lifted, so you can get the stock, no-charge wheels.

I, too, was considering the Gladiator, but it's just a different animal. I know you're coming from a pick up, so less of a transition for you. But its "pick-up truck-iness" was ultimately not what I wanted. My dark, dark orange (O.K., red) Rubi JL is sitting at the dealer I write this, waiting on its paperwork.

texasyj2009

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ 4.2L ; 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Let me start out by saying that I have hated jeeps my entire life. They are impractical, noisy, bumpy, cold/hot, cant drive straight and they are designed to be used in a place that 90+% of the time they wont be used for. What made it worse for me was when the 4 door came out and every jerkoff yuppie now thought they were cool and rugged because they had one parked in their subdivision garage.

I ordered an f150 from enterprise because my truck had to be put into a shop for 3 days. F150 was never transferred and all they had was something called a Sarah. I didn't even know what that was. Once I saw it I told them no way and they said that it is all they have. My wife's dream vehicle is a jeep and when we bought her a new car 3 months ago I said hell no. Well I left enterprise with this overpriced 4 door yuppie monstrosity. I got home and my wife though it was hilarious. The next day I took the tops off and that was my $58,000 mistake. I love speed boats but now mine has become a family thing instead of my thing. If it goes out so do 3 more people wanting to do 3 different thing. I realized that every thing I hated about Wranglers are what I love about boating. I loved it. Now remember this is a rental and when I got home I wanted to take the doors off so why not. I drove over a 100 miles that night. It was the same as driving a boat at night. My truck was fixed but I didn't drive it.

5 weeks later my rental bill is at $2,500 and I just ordered a 2020 $56,000 Rubi in orange. I shall name her punkin. So now my wife is pissed at me and I have had to seek advice from people that I ridiculed to their faces for owning one. The karma part is that now that I want one they can"t finalize the order because of the 8.4 and advanced safety package issue. But that will just give me more time to order accessories. I don't know how much time punkin will see off road but she sure will look pretty tailgating at the Bengals games. So I am excited about my midlife crisis/yuppie/over priced/ penis extension that I am buying and don't care what anyone else thinks about me for owning one.

Update: Still can not order the Jeep the way I want it speced. Rental fees now at $3,900. But Leon from Criswell has been awsome through this process. This forum is how I found out about him. Give him a call @ 202.557.0032 if interested.

Welcome to the most enjoyable disease out there.

Sponsored

Jeepishness

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Love this! I'm a year into driving my first Wrangler, I don't know why I waited so long! Hope you get it soon.

OP
OP

Skip The Road

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 4 Door
aw ^^ glad to hear

AFAIK, just like the 2018-2019 wranglers, the gladiator doesn't have automatic high beams. Both the sensor unit and the radio are can bus devices that can probably see each other's messages anyway, so I'm not sure why they'd need a special cable to go between the two. I'm guessing this is more of an issue with the build of software being used on the radio.

It's REALLY weird. Why would the radio have anything to do with it anyway?

Apparently on the Charger and Rams with that feature, the sensor is in the back of the mirror. Perhaps that's the problem?
Just wanted to show you that I was correct and they do have the automatic hi beams.

Screenshot_20190908-100331_Chrome.jpg

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just wanted to show you that I was correct and they do have the automatic hi beams.

Screenshot_20190908-100331_Chrome.jpg
Consider me corrected, then! Sorry about that! I actually looked all over and couldn’t find anything. My Google fu has failed me :o

rid34fun

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yamaha Super Tenere
Occupation
Director of Campus Development
This has been a fun thread. I have ridden a mototcycle all my lifw. My wifw and I would ridw around and just be close to one another and enjoy the outdoors. Well, my kids are all away at college and my wife is now cancer free so I set out to buy a newGoldwing. My wife doesn't feel the same and after a ride or two, I could see long distance wasn't in the cards any longer. Didn't biy thw Wing.

So, I decided to buy new Tacoma TRD. My wife wanted a Jeep. My heart wanted a Jeep, but my head said be practical and get the Tacoma. I do alot of construction volunteer work at churches anf kids camps. My wife told me for once that I should follow my heart and not my head...

Three weeks ago I purchased a new 2019 JLU Altitude with three pedals. My wife and I now enjoy an almost motorcycle experience, she is comfortable, we talk about life and our kids, and enjoy our Jeep...and turn on the air when hot, and the heated seats when cool

Sponsored

OP
OP

Skip The Road

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 4 Door
Consider me corrected, then! Sorry about that! I actually looked all over and couldn’t find anything. My Google fu has failed me :o
I didn't want to argue and if it bothered me I would have posted it along time ago. I have been wrong one or twice in my life.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
This has been a fun thread. I have ridden a mototcycle all my lifw. My wifw and I would ridw around and just be close to one another and enjoy the outdoors. Well, my kids are all away at college and my wife is now cancer free so I set out to buy a newGoldwing. My wife doesn't feel the same and after a ride or two, I could see long distance wasn't in the cards any longer. Didn't biy thw Wing.

So, I decided to buy new Tacoma TRD. My wife wanted a Jeep. My heart wanted a Jeep, but my head said be practical and get the Tacoma. I do alot of construction volunteer work at churches anf kids camps. My wife told me for once that I should follow my heart and not my head...

Three weeks ago I purchased a new 2019 JLU Altitude with three pedals. My wife and I now enjoy an almost motorcycle experience, she is comfortable, we talk about life and our kids, and enjoy our Jeep...and turn on the air when hot, and the heated seats when cool
Fantastic that your wife is healthy. When you deal with issues like that , the realization of how precious life is, becomes the focal point of one's existence. You guys seem to have wonderful grasp on it. Its all so temporary yet it is forever. I try not to take life too seriously, but I know exactly what matters.
Sponsored

Last edited: