First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
as far as looks go, i think Jeep screwed up in making the JT look just like the JL. its just not working (unless lifted and tired). for non-jeep people, they see a stock wrangler and go :like: then they see a stock gladiator and go :puke:. people ive talked to say wtf is that thing? it looks weird. the same people dig the wrangler.

they should have just given it its own design. similar but not the SAME.

as far as using the same doors to cut costs..... yet jeep makes 3 different fender flares, three different (four?) fog lights, 4 different bumpers, etc...

i dig the Sport Trac wheelbase/bed photoshop. the looong wheelbase is what's keeping me from jumping ship. i have small kids so i need a 4 door. a good size extra cab with suicide doors (like the colorado) would probably work. small bed works for me. just drop the tail gate if i need to carry something long.

at the same time, i think its great for the overlanding crowd which is huge. it seems like Jeep was aiming at Tacoma customers. i see plenty of Tacoma overlanding rigs around here. moreso than tacoma rock crawlers. and people into overlanding seem to have $$, because its a stupid-expensive hobby. too rich for my blood.

i was at the toyota dealer. they had a tacoma TRD pro for $50k+. im pretty sure a fully loaded tacoma doesnt come with nearly as many options as a loaded gladiator. convertible? doorless? sfa? disconnecting sway bars? front/rear lockers? 33s? leather? etc... even a base rubicon comes with more than a loaded tacoma. and i see loaded tacomas everywhere out here.. the million question is, can jeep convert tacoma people to become jeep people? that's a pretty loyal crowd, much like wrangler people. how many wrangler people did the FJ steal?? i just built a tacoma. with optional packages they can get really pricey as well, but pound for pound you get more with the gladiator.

i think jeep should have introduced the wrangler and gladiator at much lower pricing to get people on board. then started raising the prices after a year or two. with high pricing right off the bat they're just turning off potential buyers, especially with the gladiator. its 10x harder to reverse course and lower prices.
I totally agree regarding pricing. What are they thinking of...fully loaded they are close to Hellcat pricing! Wrangler used to be the cheapest vehicle on the lot and was noted for that.

I did buy two 2018's when I retired so that's full disclosure! But the deal I got in buying both at the same time was excellent! (A Rubicon and Sahara). Sahara is wife's car and rides extremely nice and Rubicon is my bone cruncher! I love driving both of them and we've had no issues with either. These are my 13th and 14th jeeps respectively!

As far as the looks goes being too much JL, remember that 2 years waiting for the Gladiator and all of the talk and drooling it didn't seem like many brought that point up during that development period! Personally I really like them but I also have a Ram 2500 so I don't need a pickup.

Happy Jeeping.
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I held off more than a year on making a JL/JT decision. When it was official the JT was a 4 dr. only, I purchased my JLR. It’s been a year and my JLR is mod’d and I’m very happy with it. However, if FCA was to offer the JT in 2 dr. with JLU wheelbase, I’d swap in a heart beat.
JT 2 dr. concept.jpg
I am sticking with my '12 JKUR until Chrysler Fiat comes to their senses and puts the J6 into production.