Sponsored

The Jeep Gladiator is Struggling

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So, I sell CDJR, Chevy, and GMC products. I can tell you the mid-size truck market is struggling in all brands. With the rebates and discounts on full-size trucks. You can buy a fullsize crew/cab truck for the same or less than a mid-size one. The little trucks very rarely have any rebate on them, and when they do it's not very much. Fullsize trucks are a way better deal.
Until you try to put it on a forest service rd. Unless you like tree designed pin striping on new paint.
Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Until you try to put it on a forest service rd. Unless you like tree designed pin striping on new paint.
I agree with that. Small trucks have a place in the market. For the Mall crawler trucks. Fullsize are a better deal though.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
By that logic a side-by-side should work better, right? I mean they have 1/2ton payload capability. Lack volume though.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I read somewhere, FCA has a backup plan for it's over inventory of 4 doors. They will have Uncle Sam buy all their unsold units. I can see their thought , all them long 4 doors, standing on end, side by side, what a beautiful border wall.:jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk:
:flag:Money well spent IMHO

image.png

Jtleng

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I can’t believe I read all these posts,
First of all, I can tell none of you bashing the Gladiator owns one. If you did you wouldn’t be saying the things you are. The truck is awesome and will out perform any Truck that was mentioned in this thread.
Who doesn’t upgrade a Jeep? Jeep knows that, so they put small cheap ass tires on them.
You can spend $110 on a leveling kit and fit 37” tires on the JT.

I also own a JK and love it but the storage in the back is a joke, same for the JL.
Although some think the bed is to small but it is not a full size truck and fits a heck of allot more than the JK or JL. Put a shell on the JT and it’s like an extended JK or JL but much better with the rear suspension.
The longer wheel base On my JT makes for a better and more stable ride. I have gone on most all the trails in AZ and really don’t see much of a difference compared to my JK other than the JT has a better ride.
Both scrape on bigger rocks, that’s why they make skid plates, not to hit curbs at the mall.

The JT is a Jeep and some on here are Jeep haters and it is like saying your baby is ugly

Last edited:

Sponsored

candelz

First Name
Candelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I can’t believe I read all these posts,
First of all, I can tell none of you bashing the Gladiator owns one. If you did you wouldn’t be saying the things you are. The truck is awesome and will out perform any Truck that was mentioned in this thread.
Who doesn’t upgrade a Jeep? Jeep knows that, so they put small cheap ass tires on them.
You can spend $110 on a leveling kit and fit 37” tires on the JT.

I also own a JK and love it but the storage in the back is a joke, same for the JL.
Although some think the bed is to small but it is not a full size truck and fits a heck of allot more than the JK or JL. Put a shell on the JT and it’s like an extended JK or JL but much better with the rear suspension.
The longer wheel base On my JT makes for a better and more stable ride. I have gone on most all the trails in AZ and really don’t see much of a difference compared to my JK other than the JT has a better ride.
Both scrape on bigger rocks, that’s why they make skid plates, not to hit curbs at the mall.

The JT is a Jeep and some on here are Jeep haters and it is like saying your baby is ugly

A leveling kit....and 37s.? Nahhhhhh im good.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
All I know is I want one, if I had waited two weeks I would have bought one now I have to wait till 2022

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Gladiator sport is ugly in stock form.
My sport jlu was very ugly the day I got it as well.
Wrangler are way overpriced for what they are and so are the gladiators. Every argument against the gladiator can be easily made against a wrangler if you think rationally.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Here we go again. I'm sorry you guys just can't handle something different. People aren't buying JT's to haul fucking 5th wheel campers and 20' trailers loaded down with side by sides or cattle. People are buying the JT for kayaks, bikes, small trailers, smaller campers and just because THEY FUCKING LIKE IT! What is it with people on this forum and hating things that 1. aren't a Rubicon 2. aren't what they think is cool.
True but far fewer people are buying it because what you pointed out is the jt has a very limited market and it won’t last because it won’t bring in enough revenue to have a second Redesigned model

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I read somewhere, FCA has a backup plan for it's over inventory of 4 doors. They will have Uncle Sam buy all their unsold units. I can see their thought , all them long 4 doors, standing on end, side by side, what a beautiful border wall.:jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk::jk:
:flag:Money well spent IMHO

image.png
I hear they are leaving the keys in them l as well so they can be as effective as the currently planned border wall... probably much cheaper than what’s proposed and just as effective...did I mention how effective a wall is in today’s modern times ... did you hear about the Great Wall keeping the Mongolians out???? Yeah me neither

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Personally I don’t want one, like them etc etc. All I know is the few dealers I have driven by have a bunch of them and they are sitting. Now maybe they are selling a ton and just get in loads all the time but sure seems they aren’t moving in these parts.

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
I like the JT, at first the JT gave me a small glimpse of buyers remorse for my 2018 JLU sport, but after these things have been out in the market and can see what they are capable of, im glad I have my JLU. I really do hate my Jeep's belly rubbing and unless your on a 4.5" evo lift youre going to be scrapping that thing all the time. I would consider a JT if I had a family and kids to go camping and trips, but since im solo & a minimalist camper, i dont need all that storage. I love overland builds but most of the time im scratching my head.."why do you need all that shit camping"... you just need something to keep you warm and dry, a cutting tool, food, and something to create fire.. You dont need a JT to accomplish any of this. So id trade in capability and going places a JT cant, for an extra bed of crap.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep.. there are a lot of people in here who have no idea. I went through 4 Wranglers from 1992 to 2018 and the Gladiator surpasses them all. You should go get one.

Mark Allen said the rear doors are not "straight" into the cab corners because they specifically wanted to keep the doors interchangeable between JL and JT. This helps FCA because it keeps production costs down, and it helps the consumers because in the future replacement doors and replacement door parts will be easier to find and less expensive.

The wheelbase is long because the truck uses a solid front axle, which requires control arms mounted in parallel with the frame unlike IFS trucks, which pushes the front axle farther forward. This was also a design that was done intentionally because that solid front axle is one of Jeep's calling cards. The vehicle had to have it to remain special.

They didn't go with a smaller cab and longer bed because that's not what buyers want. Gladiator as it sits has class leading rear head and leg room. Spend five minutes in a Tacoma and you will REALLY appreciate the cab space. The 5' bed is industry standard, and it gives you a 7.5' load floor instantly with the tailgate down. Zero reason to put a longer bed on the Gladiator.

Comparing a JT's offroad prowess against JL isn't fair. Should we compare JL's payload and towing capacity against JT? Spoiler: JL would get slaughtered.

As far as the Gladiator being a truck:

-Largest brakes in the class
-Strongest axles in the class
-Strongest frame in the class
-Only truck in the class with rear 4-link and coil suspension
-Highest legal gasoline towing capacity in the class
-Among the highest payloads you can get in the class
-Only truck with removable tops and doors and folding windshield
-Pentastar engine has been on Ward's 10 Best Engines list in multiple years
-Most 2nd row leg and head room in the class
-Best infotainment system in the class
-One of only two trucks in the class to include a heated steering wheel in the cold weather group
-Only truck to offer disconnecting sway bar and 4:1 transfer case in the class
-Accessories list is endless for this truck
-Easiest to service/maintain/repair in the class
-Only truck in the class to offer 33" AT or MT tires from the factory
-Pre-wired for trailer towing across all trims
-Better payload and equal towing to the Ford F-150 Raptor, but in a smaller package that fits a residential garage

The Gladiator is an AMAZING truck, and FCA specifically designed it the way they did BECAUSE that's what buyers said they wanted for years.
It is also not "struggling". They've got a premium price tag that far surpasses anything else on the market and despite that, they're still selling at a rate of 60,000 units per year and growing. Don't believe what you read on the "media sites". They're just trying to get views.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I for one personally like the JT Gladiator, concept vehicles. They were 2dr. single or extra cab vehicles by my recollection. Saw them with my own two eyes during several years of EJS previews. IMHO, seems folks that purchased JT’s over looked the concept excitement and purchased the JT anyway. Me, until FCA gets over the bait and switch move, I’ll rock my JLR.
BTW, I’m kinda jealous/pissed about JT Mojaves getting suspension/steering upgrades and not Wrangler Rubicons.
Sponsored